Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #1

30a Outlet Install Location?

I will be installing a 30a outlet for the 32 in the near future. The "barn" has electric ran out to it already, just need to combine a couple circuits and put in a 30a breaker.

By combineing I mean due to the previous owner having 5 outlets spread over 4 breakers because of having a couple large coolers and processing wild game for people. So I won't be overloading the breakers.

The panel is just inside the garage door on the left wall, at the front wall.

The big question is where would you mount the 30a:

1- Inside on the left of the door?

2- Inside on the right of the door? I do have my tools box in front of the window to the right of the big door.

3- Outside to the left of the door?

4- Outside to the right of the door?

Mounting to the right will require more wiring to be ran. But on the left may require an extension cord depending on just how close I get the 32 to the front of the barn. If within 10' I believe I won't need the extension cord. Part of the berm you see needs to be removed in front of the walkway to the side door so I can still get my mower or tractor into the barn once the 32 is parked in the driveway.

I know regardless of which I choose, I will probably wish it was different!!! Lol

So just looking for suggestions as to why one may be a better choice than the other.

TY!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
I will be installing a 30a outlet for the 32 in the near future. The "barn" has electric ran out to it already, just need to combine a couple circuits and put in a 30a breaker.

By combineing I mean due to the previous owner having 5 outlets spread over 4 breakers because of having a couple large coolers and processing wild game for people. So I won't be overloading the breakers.

The panel is just inside the garage door on the left wall, at the front wall.

The big question is where would you mount the 30a:

1- Inside on the left of the door?

2- Inside on the right of the door? I do have my tools box in front of the window to the right of the big door.

3- Outside to the left of the door?

4- Outside to the right of the door?

Mounting to the right will require more wiring to be ran. But on the left may require an extension cord depending on just how close I get the 32 to the front of the barn. If within 10' I believe I won't need the extension cord. Part of the berm you see needs to be removed in front of the walkway to the side door so I can still get my mower or tractor into the barn once the 32 is parked in the driveway.

I know regardless of which I choose, I will probably wish it was different!!! Lol

So just looking for suggestions as to why one may be a better choice than the other.

TY!!!
Closest to where your connection is on your RV. Hopefully so you don't need an extension cord. Remember the 30 amp is a 120 line NOT 240.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #3

Unless you plan on running your ac and microwave while inside the barn I don't understand why you would need 30a service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #4

I run my ac off a 20 amp 110v house recept all the time. has never failed me.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #5

Are you parking the camper in the garage or along side of it? I would position it so you don't need an extension cord. I don't like leaving them on the ground where they couple together when it is raining and such if possible.

Also if you are going through the process of installing new power, I would consider doing a 50A 240V circuit if you have that much power to the barn. Cost wise it isn't going to be that much different and you won't have to redo the work later if you get a camper that needs 50A.

Personally I have mine plugged into a 15A circuit. I don't run the AC while it is out there. Just to run the fridges before we are going out for a few days. I have a built in EMS and the display shows I am only pulling around 2-3 amps when I have looked at it.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #6

It looks like the TT is going to be parked outside, so I would put the outlet outside. Otherwise you have to deal 6with getting the cord outside as the door will not be able to close completely, and would assume, you would want to keep the little friends (Mice) out of the barn.

I too would place the outlet on the side closest to the TT shore power location to minimize the need for an extension cord.

I too just use a 20 amp outlet from my garage, but I do not use the AC, due to the long extension cord length and light weight cord size to keep the garage door close(outlet is inside the garage).

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #7

As others have mentioned, install the new outlet as close as possible to where you will be keeping the RV.

Installing a 30A outlet is a wonderful convenience. No adapters or extension cords.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
Site Team

Agree with placing a outside weatherproof outlet where it can be plugged in without an extension. I wired mine for 30a years ago and even though I now have a rig that wants 50a, I have a plug in 50-30 adapter that I use at home. I often run 1 ac when I need to get away in my back yard man cave.

PS, I trenched in a 3/4 water line at the same time and added water if needed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #9

TY guys!!!

The 32 will be parked in front of the barn. Wish the barn was large enough to store the rig inside. Would eliminate the winter storage at the fair grounds.

I have also had luck running the a/c on low if a 20a outlet, but figured it wouldn't hurt to install a 30a outlet since I have the space in the panel. Also in case the house a/c goes out we have a back up and don't have to worry about the 32 a/c not having enough juice on a humid night!!!

I considered a 50a outlet, I would have to double check to see if I could combine a couple more circuits to make another 220 spot. Already have one that is for the compressor and welder.

I figured it would be better to mount it outside, right of the door so less chance of needing an extension cord. Anytime I do use an extension cord I try to make sure the plugs are off the ground. Either using a scissor jack, or possibly the board the tongue jack is on to elevate it.

If I rerun the electric out to the barn (it is shallow!!!), I will be running a gas line, possibly water, a few ethernet cables, coax, and possibly an air line back to the attached garage. Have a few other projects ahead of that though. And figure if I buy an overhead heater I can run it on a 100lb propane tank for now until I get natural gas ran.

Think I covered all the posts so far!!!

TY!!!

Old 06-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #10

As others mentioned the 30a is 120v so not a double breaker. You only need two free breaker spots if doing 50a. The only problem with going 50a (yeah I recommend it) is you would be messing with an adapter. Unless you put a bigger box out there with a 50 and a 30 like they do in some camp grounds.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #11
Site Team

I would go with a 30 amp RV service box. Home Depot has one for about $50. I do not see any reason for a 50 amp service box, unless you plan on upgrading your TT in a short period of time.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRICAL - 30 Amp RV Electrical Box.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
As others mentioned the 30a is 120v so not a double breaker. You only need two free breaker spots if doing 50a. The only problem with going 50a (yeah I recommend it) is you would be messing with an adapter. Unless you put a bigger box out there with a 50 and a 30 like they do in some camp grounds. Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Sennister,

TY for making sure I knew the 30a is only 120v. When I mentioned I wasn't sure if I could free 2 spaces I was referring to going with the 50a outlet since I already have a 30amp/ 240v for the compressor and welder.

The 50a is definitely an option if I can free 2 spaces for the breaker. No big deal using an adapter. I would probably just buy one to keep here at the house, so that way I don't forget it when leaving for a trip. May not be until this w/e before I can figure out if the 50a is possible.

Don,

I didn't know HD had a 30a outlet/ break box available. If it closes with the rig plugged in the may be the way I go. Though I wish I still had a 10% movers coupon to use on it!!! Lol

TY!!!

Old 06-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #13

Sounds good. A lot of people see 30A and think 30A 240v like with an electric dryer.

I guess the reason I would consider 50A is because you said you might want to run AC if it died in the house or something like that. Also more and more travel trailers are moving to 50A. It isn't just the big 5th wheels and motorhomes anymore. You have a big TT at 32' and there are more and more of them in this class running dual AC units. Doing that a lot of times will bump it up to 50A. If you were planning on downsizing as the kids move out then probably less of an issue but I would consider it. It also gives you an outside 50A outlet for your welder if you ever needed to do welding outside. I just added two 50A outlets in my pole barn so I had two places to weld and for a home brewing system.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:00 AM   #14

I installed one at my house last year. Like Sennister said, it is 30a 120v. I also have the box that is posted from the home depot and you can close it while plugged in and mine also has a place to put a lock on it, which I do when plugged in and not plugged in. Also, keep in mind the gauge wire that you will need as well. My electrical box is on the other side of the house from where I mounted the 30a box. I had to use thicker gauge wire as I had a long way to go. About 70 feet or so. That was wire was the expensive part of this whole installation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2017, 06:36 AM   #15

TY guys!!!

I do keep soncidering a 50a, haven't looked in the panel in the barn any more to see if I can free up 2 slots for the 50a or not.

I do have the tt in the drive now and can just reach with the electric cord to the left side of the door which is closer to the panel. I may be able to back the tt up a little more, just need to see how close it can be and still get my mower into the barn if needed.

Bondo,

Isn't that always the way.... Want to run electric but it has to come from the other side of the house!!! ��

I would like to run a gas line back to the barn, but guess what...... yep, the service line is on the opposite side of the house!!! Darn Murphy's Law!!!

TY all again!!!

Old 06-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
TY guys!!!

I do keep soncidering a 50a, haven't looked in the panel in the barn any more to see if I can free up 2 slots for the 50a or not.

I do have the tt in the drive now and can just reach with the electric cord to the left side of the door which is closer to the panel. I may be able to back the tt up a little more, just need to see how close it can be and still get my mower into the barn if needed.

Bondo,

Isn't that always the way.... Want to run electric but it has to come from the other side of the house!!! ��

I would like to run a gas line back to the barn, but guess what...... yep, the service line is on the opposite side of the house!!! Darn Murphy's Law!!!

TY all again!!!
If you want to do 50a you could always install a couple of those mini double breakers. They make them for most panels. While the 240 still needs to be a full double breaker. You could take a couple 120 circuits and move them to double minis. Worst case if the panel is full you take 4 regular breakers move them to two sets of double mini breakers. They each still have thier own 15a breaker as before. Now you have a free spot for a double 240 breaker.

If panel space is the only thing holding you back there are ways around that issue.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:22 AM   #17

Went and looked at the panel again, probably won't be able to open up 2 slots for a 50a service. It's hard to say at this point but our next rig may be smaller due to the boys (almost 14yo now) no longer camping with us. Only time will tell.

I did forget I have an outlet cover that is rainproof (so it states! Lol). Any reason to still buy the one posted above or use this and swap the outlet out for the correct 30a rv outlet? Or would it be better to have a breaker in the cover to shut power to the outlet off when plugging in and unplugging like I do at the cg?

My father in law gave it to me a couple yrs ago. Figured at some point I could use it.

TY!

Old 06-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #18

We have ours outside near where we park our TT. On the back side of the pole we also have a spigot so we can hook up a hose when we need to de-winterize, sanitize, or flush the tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0015.jpg  
Old 06-10-2017, 07:36 AM   #19

Here is an example of a double mini breaker that works with Square D panels.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-...020C/100075651

These are not for 240 use since both circuits are on the same leg it would only be 120. That is why you would need a traditional double breaker for the 240 work. They simply provide a means to free up some breaker room without having to add a sub panel or replace a panel.

You already have the 50a outlet and box so you would just need the wire.

Alternatively if you opted to go 30a you should be able to replace that 50a outlet with a 30a and use that box.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
Here is an example of a double mini breaker that works with Square D panels. Square D QO 2-20 Amp Single-Pole Tandem Circuit Breaker-QO2020C - The Home Depot Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
TY, but the only non double mini breaker in the panel is the 240v for the compressor. It is only a 6 slot panel.

I did find there is a quad breaker, 20a 120v, 30a 240v, 20a 120v, available through Amazon. Our HD or Lowes doesn't stock it or list it on the website from what I have found. Makes me wonder if there is one available with a 50a 240v set up like that...... Will do some more searching.

There is a 20/50/20 breaker available. Maybe I will go that route. Or maybe I will just buy wire to hook a 50a outlet up, but just wire it for a 30a set up for now.