Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #1

A couple newbie questions

Hello everyone,

This is my 1st official post (not counting the one in the "Intro Section"). I recently purchased a used 2011 X17z and have a few questions after our 1st weekend of camping.

1) After finally navigating the narrow lane to the dump station, I connected the drain pipe and "let 'er go". After a couple minutes I lifted the hose and it seemed empty so I released the grey tank. Again lifted the hose, felt it was empty and disengaged. There was still a little 'fluid' coming out so I quickly capped it and pulled away (the line was quite long).

So how long DOES it take to empty the tank?

2) We will not be camping for the next 3 weeks and our trailer is stored outside at a rental facility.

Do you crack a window or ceiling vent for air circulation? What about rain?

3) Along with question (2)

Do you keep the refrigerator door closed or propped open?

Hope I gave enough information so that someone can help me out. Thanks in advance!!

Vince
Old 06-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #2

Hi and welcome!!!

1) We have 30 gallon tanks and it probably takes about 1 minute for each to run out. This does depend on how long your stay was and how much water you sent down to them.
2) This one someone else will have to help you with. Our camper is parked right beside our driveway so on really hot days (last week it got up to 96 inside) so I go out and open the windows and vents.
3) For the fridge since I do not have it running I leave the doors ajar so that air can circulate around it.

Hope you had fun on your first outing. We have gone out on two so far with ours. May go out again this weekend if the weather isn't to bad. It's been raining here for four days off and on with some pretty good down pours. Temps are really cool this week too.

Darla

2002 Jayco Eagle SE 304bh
crocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #3

Definitely leave the fridge ajar or you could get mold to form. If you live in a humid area may also consider Damp-Rid. We live in the southeast and always hang a damp-rid bag to remove the excess moisture. As far as the vent if you have a vent-mate installed over your roof vent you can leave it open in all kinds of weather.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #4

1. it takes a while for them to empty, I would not worry about taking too much time, its your trailer and you want your tanks empty. I have (5) tanks to dump its a 20-30 minute event for me to empty them, get your lawn chair out its going to be a few minutes waiting on me at the dump.

2. the best $30 Mod you can do is on vent covers, you can leave them open and no rain will enter the camper and keeps the trailer from getting overheated in the hot sun with air flow. http://maxxair.com/products/standard_vent_covers.php
I installed two of the max air II in thirty minutes very easy install
I would not leave a vent or window open without a cover or the wind will blow the rain right in
3. look at the top of your door and most have a little pin that slides over to keep the door cracked open, if its not cracked open mold happens fast. I also go back the next day and wipe down all the mositure that is still on the inside to help with the mold problem
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Get a clear fitting for the hose to clamp on. Then you can keep an eye on when it stops flowing.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #6

WOW!!! Thank you all for the advice. I really appreciate it. I know where I'm going tomorrow. I will wipe down the inside of the fridge and crack it open, get some Damp Rid for the camper, put on a vent shield and then look on-line for a clear connector.

I was starting to panic a little as more and more campers were lining up. I will definitely remember that and account for how long it will take next time.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Site Team

Take as long as you need to dump. That's what everyone else does.

During the summer I keep my camper in my driveway so I have windows open and I keep it plugged in so I leave the fridge on.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #8

For a clear connector I bought a rhino 45degree clear one and it's great.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #9

I keep a box of disposable gloves in the 5th for dumping (Harbor Freight) and I've always had a little "trickle" after removing the coupling. Since I'm dumping the grey last I tend to not worry too much. I'm just ready with the cap trying to keep the spillage to a minimum.
Vent cover, YES! Put one on the previous TT and that was one of the first things I did to the new 5th. The vent stays open unless it's really cold. Both covers were Maxx Air so I can't comment on any other brand. I'm a believer.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #10

I notice my tanks drain slower than i would normally think they would. Once the main surge of fluid is done, there is a slower trickle for a while.

If the fridge is still cold when I go to storage I like to leave the doors open to avoid mold or stank odor (like when i leave moisture in the ice chest with the lid closed for a few weeks...)

I don't leave any windows/vents open. My storage is covered. If it were enclosed, i may leave something open. But never noticed a problem with stale air being a problem.

Good luck
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:17 AM   #11

Mission Accomplished!

Vent shield installed - check
Vent now cracked open - check
Refrigerator wiped down - check
Ref Door ajar - check
Damp-Rid hanging inside - check
Clear Waste connector ordered - check

It's been a busy couple days but I feel better now that everything is done. No doubt I will run into more 'newbie' issues but hopefully they will all be resolved this easily.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.