Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #1

A moment of Anger for JAYCO and my DEALER

I understand that most mass produced items have some warranty issues. Dropped off our Starcraft at the dealer in November to have the warranty items addressed. 4 months later, it is still there and the dealer says they are waiting on Jayco to ship out new counter tops as they have to be custom made in the cabinet shop. They had water damage.

Pardon my vent... REALLY 4 MONTHS CUSTOM MADE? I call BS... from Jayco and/or my dealer. This warranty stuff should be fixed in a timely manner. Even though it is winter and I may not be able to do much with my TT, they should not have it for this long. Along the way, I am out my storage cost for the last few months too.

I need to call the dealer again, and perhaps get a hold of Jayco. Just seems like a lot of work and money out of my pocket for something that should be just done right

Rant off, sorry to vent here.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #2

Contact Jayco directly with your Vin Number and your dealer's name to find out what is going on.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #3

I had the same issue with our dealer and Jayco. Different unit but same type of stuff. Took the unit in in October they looked at it said they would order parts and I could bring it back when they arrived. After phone calls every couple weeks to get updates as I never once heard anything from the dealer unless I called. It was finally finished in March. Took three trips to them. It did get finished and the repairs were done but nonetheless 5 months was ridiculous. Took three trips to the dealer, a dozen phone calls. The dealer threw Jayco under the bus every time I made a call to get an update. First it was warranty authorization that took at least a month, then Jayco didn't ship the parts, then Jayco sent the wrong parts then this then that. I should have called Jayco to find out but never did. It just seemed odd to me that with the total lack of communication from the dealer that everything was Jayco''s fault. I had a subsequent warranty issue on a vent fan that leaked. I just replaced it myself wasn't worth the trouble with the dealer or Jayco. Now had it been something more involved or major I certainly would have but for $125 and 90 minutes of my time wasn't worth it for me to even drag the trailer up there twice. I quickly understood the bad rap that some dealers get for poor service. Honestly I don't care whose fault it is the dealer should have handled it in a more timely fashion or at the very least communicated with me.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #4

Many will advise, call Jayco if not satisfied with dealer's vague support. Talk directly to towable warranty division and ask for an ETA on production. Also don't hesitate to follow up every 2 weeks until ETA established.

Not sure what money you are out? Storage fees would have been paid if you had the trailer in or out? If you can justify other money spent, share that with Jayco too.

2015 Jayco Pinnacle FLSA & 2008 Chevy Duramax

Anxiously awaiting retirement where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
Old 02-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #5

I take my trailer to the shop to get the estimates and send info/pictures to Jayco. Once that is done, I have learned to talk to Jayco 1st. Then talk to the shop that is going to do the repairs. I know what jayco is doing and what is happening there. So if the shop starts to BS me on waiting for Jayco, I tell them I just spoke with Jayco and here is what Jayco said. Puts the shop on the spot. They know not to try to BS with me because I know exactly where Jayco is in the loop. Things get done much faster.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #6

Contacted the dealer yesterday after my digital rant and they said that the parts had finally arrived from Jayco/Starcraft. Supposed to be done in one week now. Funny what a phone call does.

Holding on for just a bit before I pull the trigger on the call to Starcraft/Jayco
Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Z_Adventures View Post
Contacted the dealer yesterday after my digital rant and they said that the parts had finally arrived from Jayco/Starcraft. Supposed to be done in one week now. Funny what a phone call does.

Holding on for just a bit before I pull the trigger on the call to Starcraft/Jayco
So.... The parts finally arrived? Gee, imagine that!!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:14 PM   #8

Calling Jayco is a WASTE OF TIME! I've got an email from one of the warranty supervisors who advise's me that Jayco doesn't own the dealers and they have no control over the dealers, (Laughable)... The dealerships are the face of any manufacturing business. Can you imagine this level of warranty service at a automobile dealership? Yet we pay more for some of these RV's than the cars and trucks we drive. This industry makes used car sales people look like friggin rocket scientists.....
Old 02-15-2017, 11:30 PM   #9

A lot of the time the dealer says they're waiting on Jayco. You call Jayco and find out the dealer hasn't contacted them yet so it's the dealers issue.

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:51 AM   #10

Dealer called yesterday saying it is completed. Going to stop by, hoping it is truly completed.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and comments.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deal Breaker View Post
Calling Jayco is a WASTE OF TIME! I've got an email from one of the warranty supervisors who advise's me that Jayco doesn't own the dealers and they have no control over the dealers, (Laughable)... The dealerships are the face of any manufacturing business. Can you imagine this level of warranty service at a automobile dealership? Yet we pay more for some of these RV's than the cars and trucks we drive. This industry makes used car sales people look like friggin rocket scientists.....
They told you right. Their dealers are not franchised like auto dealers who carry one brand. Since they carry multiple brands(Jayco, Winnebago, Forest River etc)there is no way one manufacturer has any control over dealer customer service.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #12

Starcraft is Starcraft a separate rv company and a subsidiary of Jayco.

Jayco now was bought by Thor and now is a separate company in the Thor family.

If you have a Starcraft and need something you call Starcraft not Jayco.

Think maybe the dealer dropped the ball (happens alot unfortunately). Manufacturers have a big reputation to uphold and customer satisfaction is a high priority.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #13

load of crap

I am by no means in the RV industry or any industry for that matter. I am in law enforcement. However you can not tell me that Jayco does not have influence over dealerships . They are selling their product and yes they need each other but the way some of these dealers operate makes jayco look bad and without a product to sell there is no profit to be made by the dealer and jayco has plenty of dealerships that do a good job and make customers happy... so the bad ones should be put on notice by jayco. They can get someone else to sell their trailers but the dealer can not buy jayco trailers from anyone but Jayco. So lets challenge Jayco to actual do a customer survey of their dealerships and act on issues the way the automotive industry does. Ever notice from time of sale to service on your car the manufacturer does surveys and the dealerships are always on you telling you they hope you give them a high score because bad scores from a dealership are frowned upon and there are repercussions. The TT and RV industry needs to start doing the same thing!! Hold these dealerships accountable and punish them when they deal improperly with customers!
bulldog182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #14

X2
They need to get with the times. If I had a 75k vehicle the dealer would fix it now or a loaner vehicle. Any part can be had in . days not months. But boat dealers are the same way. Big bucks and sit and wait for parts and service. And I can sit and wait for parts it is the service side that sucks
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
X2
They need to get with the times. If I had a 75k vehicle the dealer would fix it now or a loaner vehicle. Any part can be had in days not months. But boat dealers are the same way.
Rock
There are even problems in the auto industry.

Since 50% or more parts are common to Chevy, GM, Buick and Caddy why can't I go to any dealer for warranty work. Can't take my Chevy to GMC can't take my Buick to a Chevy dealer, etc, etc. If you're in a city without your specific brand dealer, you're SOL, it can and does happen.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #16

With record sales over the last couple of years, with us being a part of it, I am willing to bet that dealers are struggling to keep up with services. Sure they can move them off the lot, but to get warranty and services done has had quite an impact.

If I was a dealer working with the up and downs of the market, should I expand my service bays or continue to move new product?

Add more service writers or warranty back office staff to follow up on open warranty items?

Train and add more service techs to complete jobs?

Shouldn't Thor/Jayco/Starcraft increase it's communication and training downward?

I am willing to bet, complicated warranty services will take a bit longer than expected for the next couple of years whilst everything on the back end gets caught up.

This is just the tip of what is an underlying problem. Specific to my issues, I probably should have pushed them a bit more as the process went along. However, it is winter and I did not really need the camper.

That being said, more effective communication from both myself and the dealer back at me would have probably kept me off my soap box.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:04 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
With record sales over the last couple of years, with us being a part of it, I am willing to bet that dealers are struggling to keep up with services. Sure they can move them off the lot, but to get warranty and services done has had quite an impact.

I think you pretty much nailed it. When we purchased our new trailer last Fall I spoke to the head of the service dpt. I asked him about wait times for service and he was very up front and frank. He said to get work done it could be a couple months wait depending on the situation, although they allow time in the schedule for emergencies or special situations. He detailed the steps it takes to get warranty work approved and get parts then the actual service appt. and unfortunately it all takes time, probably more time then it should.
He also said with the recent boom in RV sales there are many first time RVers out there who have no experience. They may not be able to overcome some issues on their own that a more experienced owner could, and there will no doubt be more user error as well which could clog up service bays. And yes they simply do not have the trained techs to keep up with the load as well. So this is not unique to Jayco but its industry wide.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #18

Quote:
I think many dealers would love to do that, but as has been reported in numerous articles, they can't find qualified techs. I know the dealer we use has complained about that for several years.

The manufacturers are also having that problem in N. Indiana.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #19

My extensive knowledge and experience with vehicles has taught me that all dealers are to be avoided and distrusted. Period. Wish it were not so, but that is what I have garnered in my many decades. I despise even thinking about going to one.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I think many dealers would love to do that, but as has been reported in numerous articles, they can't find qualified techs. I know the dealer we use has complained about that for several years.

The manufacturers are also having that problem in N. Indiana.
Not finding qualified people is an issue for most every industry. However, it has nothing to do with the quality of the people. It has to do with the fact that employers have no interest in training and promoting their people. "Back in the day" all employers knew that they would have to train new people and wanted to keep them. Now, most feel employers feel "entitled" to get someone fully trained for minimum wage, and then lay them off the first chance they get.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote