Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #1

A solution for using large propane tanks via the outside grill hookup

Hi,
I figured out a way to connect a large (or small) propane tank to the external propane connection on RVs. I did this with my old JayFlight 29BHS and with my new Greyhawk. I haven't put together the instructions yet and components that are needed. I was wondering if anyone on JOF was interested in how I did it. The basic idea is I used some high pressure hose with a POL connector on one end a regulator then a shutoff valve then the male quick disconnect on the other. If there is interest in detailed instructions on how I did it I will post complete instructions. I use a large tank so I don't have to fill the propane so often in the winter.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #2

I'm interested! Thanks
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #3

I am interested as well!!
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #4

Ok then I will come up with the plans and post them.
New setup:
Old 12-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #5

I have a 150 gallon external tank that has it's own regulator. I simply ran a copper line from the output of this regulator to the connection where I had unhooked the regulator on my 5'er. I am bypassing my onboard propane tanks, valve, and regulator. I have been doing this on my home base site for going on 4 years now and it works great.

At the end of the winter I simply unhook the propane line from the external tank from both ends and store it in the garage. I put caps or plugs on both ends of it to keep critters out during the summer storage as well as a cap at the large tank regulator. I then hook the onboard propane line back up and I'm good to go. I put a plug in this line during the winter when it is not being used also.

Works for me and with this size external tank they deliver and the price is cheaper than filling the smaller tanks, even the 100lb ones.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #6

I too use a 125 gallon external tank on mine. Fortunately, it was quite simple on mine, just had to change the outdoor grill valve with one I bought from MFA Propane, and plug into the camper right there. Never have to touch the stock tanks or the camper regulator. I liked it so well I ended up buying 2 more of the quick disconnect kits from MFA and run my patio heater and BBQ grill off our 125 gallon tank.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #7

How I did it

To accomplish what I did you will need the following components:
Item Part number Description Can be found
1/4" Male Pipe Thread x Full Flow Male Plug. F276281 Quick disconnect Camping World or Amazon http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...low-plug/30332
Camco RV Horizontal Two Stage Propane Regulator with POL 59333 Regulator Camping World or Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Camco-59333-Ho...ef=pd_sim_lg_1
21st Century R04 22-Inch Propane Hose 3/8-Inch Male Pipe Thread R04 Hose Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Watts 3/8-in x 1/4-in Brass Pipe Fitting LFA765 3/8” to Ό” adapter Lowes or Home Depot http://www.lowes.com/pd_92557-104-LF...npt&facetInfo=
Watts 1/4” Brass Pipe Fitting LFA739 Street Elbow Lowes or Home Depot http://www.lowes.com/pd_88972-104-LF...3D1&facetInfo=
3/8” Brass Gas ball shutoff valve M88C 3/8 Ball Valve Lowes or Home Depot http://www.lowes.com/pd_23152-33599-...lve&facetInfo=
3/8” brass hex nipple x 2 LFA783 Brass nipple Lowes or Home Depot http://www.lowes.com/pd_92338-104-LF...ple&facetInfo=
Natural gas or propane certified Teflon tape
Pipe dope
Assorted pipe and other wrenches

You likely will need the following depending on the distance to your large propane tank.

Item Part number Description Can be found
12' Propane Hose F273702 POL to disposable hose Camping World
Propane Adapter F276171 Disposable to POL adapter Camping World http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-adapter/24028

Start by figuring out how far away you want to position your large propane tank. This will determine the length of the high pressure hose you will need. You really do not want to extend the low pressure side very much as it will quickly lose pressure. Use the high pressure side to complete the long run and keep the low pressure run as short as practical. Once you have figured out where you want to have your large tank then start with the long hose F273702 and connect it to the adapter F276171 next connect the adapter to the regulator 59333. Now you will need to assemble the various fittings. These fittings all are NPT and require thread tape and I always use pipe dope as well. Keep in mind that you are working with brass which is very soft and you can ruin the threads if you wrench on it too hard. When doing plumbing I usually dry fit everything before adding thread tape and pipe dope. This allows me to correct any assembly mistakes before I have gummed up the threads. Connect the 3/8 nipple to the output side of the regulator. Connect that to the 3/8 ball valve. Next connect the other end of the gas valve to another hex nipple. Connect the hex nipple to the 3/8” to Ό” reducing bell LFA765. Next connect the Ό” street elbow to the reducing bell. Finally connect the 1/4” quick disconnect F276281. Your specific application may require some different parts or additional parts but the concept is the same. I strongly recommend that you soap check your connections to ensure a leak free connection.

This method of connecting to your RV (Travel Trailer, Fifth Wheel, or Motorhome) allows you to quickly and safely disconnect should you wish to leave. Simply turn on the main propane valve in your coach at the factory propane tanks. Next turn off the propane at the large tank(s). Turn off the valve installed downstream of the regulator. Turn off the valve on the coach. Disconnect the quick disconnect. Reverse to reconnect. I use a 100# propane tank that I take to the store to have filled. I save quite a lot of money as the local stores usually give significant discounts when filling that much propane. My 100# tank usually lasts 4 – 6 weeks in the winter. That saves me time! I will post pictures of my setup later.
New setup:
Old 12-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #8

A few other notes. Don't be tempted to use a reducing bushing as they are not code compliant for flammable gas applications. I have found that most home improvement store employees are not familiar with code compliance. If you note here I made NO modifications to the actual RV. We are simply providing correct pressure propane to the external grill connection. This setup will run most appliances in your coach up to about 150,000 BTU. That said since it must travel through the external low pressure connection your mileage may vary. If you will be using many propane appliances at the same time you may also have to turn on your "normal" propane tank(s) in addition to the large one.
New setup:
Old 12-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #9

Good point msturtz. I should point out that on my 125 gal setup, MFA brought, set and filled the tank. The only changes we made to the camper was we had to change the quick disconnect that Jayco uses for the outdoor grill with the one that came in the quick disconnect kit that MFA brought out. For anyone looking to set a bigger tank, I personally found it was just as cheap to have MFA come and do all the work as I could have done it myself.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmay25 View Post
Good point msturtz. I should point out that on my 125 gal setup, MFA brought, set and filled the tank. The only changes we made to the camper was we had to change the quick disconnect that Jayco uses for the outdoor grill with the one that came in the quick disconnect kit that MFA brought out. For anyone looking to set a bigger tank, I personally found it was just as cheap to have MFA come and do all the work as I could have done it myself.
Who is MFA? We don't have anyone around here that will install a propane tank for free much less run piping to an RV. Did they also modify the grill to still work via the external connection?
New setup:
Old 12-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #11

MFA is a co-op that's pretty popular throughout the Midwest. They mostly sell farm supplies, but many of them also have oil and propane divisions. Propane is still a popular home heating choice, especially in many of our rural areas, so we actually have a few different business's around that set these larger tanks. The great thing about them is when your tank gets low, you simply give them a call and they come fill it for you.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #12

Oh cool. We have propane distributors locally but very few in the urban and suburban locations because they are all served by natural gas. The local companies that will come out in the rural areas charge quite a lot. I considered installing a large propane tank but was dissuaded by the significant cost.
New setup: