Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #1

AAA vs Good Sam vs ?

After reading some of the posts on changing a tire and other service needs, I am wondering if anyone knows how good the AAA RV road-service is?
Is it any better or worse than Good Sam?
I am just starting my 2nd year with my 2016 Jayco Jayflight and I need to start thinking about the day when my 2 year warranty runs out.
What are some of the RV services (flat tire, locked out, etc.) that you all recommend and what are the companies that you avoid?
I am not familiar with what the different road service plans companies offer but would like to know.
As always, thanks in advance for any input you can throw my way!!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:06 PM   #2

Warranty and road assistance are two different things, but you know that. I believe that Jayco covers the road assistance for only one year, so you can have warranty, but not assistance for the 2nd year.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:21 PM   #3

We've had Good Sam roadside assistance since 1979. Never had any problems with them either towing me, or changing a tire. I would recommend them to everyone, but I'm sure there are others who were not completely satisfied. Had Coachnet only because it came with the Seneca, when it expired we went back to GS.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:30 PM   #4

I've had CAA (same organization as AAA in Canada) and found it to be good across Canada and the US for regular cars and RVs. The time I did try a Good Sam membership it expired before I needed anything. After having CAA cover a heavy tow for the motor home without even a hint of hassle I figured I'd just stick with them. I saw the rate sheet for the heavy tow truck and my CAA covered tow would have cost about $1,800 out of pocket. (Two truck winch out, and heavy duty tow truck for over 90kms.)
Old 04-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies, pls keep them coming!
I have a AAA membership for my old 2003 Matrix and I also have the basic Good Sam membership. I don't know what the 'upcharge' is to add RV services to either one but will contact both to see. I don't think it is much for the AAA if I already have the Plus membership.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 04-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
Site Team

We had AAA and encountered problems with them. We decided to try Good Sam and for the last few years they have cared for our needs with no issues at all. For a TV flat tire they were out within 20 minutes, for the blowout on our TT this trip, we were on our way in less than an hour.

One thing to remember is that TIME and LOCATION are key parts to the equation. Both times we were close to where they had services available. If you are in the middle of the desert, I bet no one will be happy with the repair time. I can only speak for our interaction with both AAA and Good Sam.

I give Good Sam *****

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #7

AAA with all the coverage GS or Allstate provides is much more expensive.. With AAA you have to specifically add the RV insurance while GS covers everything and initially you can get it for well less than $100 a year.. Have used the GS a few times with no issues.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #8

We have Good Sam ERS for years and have been very happy with it.

If you have kids that drive, Good Sam ERS also covers the kids and all cars besides your trailer and TV.

Our kids have used it for dead battery, towing, tire change, etc.
We used it for TT tire change and were very happy with the response.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #9

Coach-Net
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 AM   #10

Interesting that you mentioned them.
I just got an advertisement in the mail from Coach-Net
Are they a reputable company?
Thanks

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 04-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
Coach-Net Are they a reputable company?
Thanks
Think so. Haven't had to use it with my current and previous motorhome to experience it real time. But the coverage is for all vehicles in your household which is what I like. I believe Jayco includes a free year of Coach-Net membership for purchases?
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:43 PM   #12

I have Progressive. Road side assistance included in the policy. I haven't had to use it. Hope I never do.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #13

I have progressive on everything.

Like most insurance, they will up your rates every year no matter how good of a driver you are. I haven't had a claim with any insurer in 20 years. Yet they justify upping my rate about 10+%.

I just had them send me a quote for my new truck, and it's another 40 bucks more than I'm paying for the 150, per month.

I think you have to fire your insurance company every few years to get the best rate you can. I'm firing progressive next month, along with Comcast and a few others that do the same thing. At least with Comcast, the moment you threaten to drop service, they reduce your rate back to sane levels. Most insurance companies don't seem to care.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I have progressive on everything.

Like most insurance, they will up your rates every year no matter how good of a driver you are. I haven't had a claim with any insurer in 20 years. Yet they justify upping my rate about 10+%.

I just had them send me a quote for my new truck, and it's another 40 bucks more than I'm paying for the 150, per month.

I think you have to fire your insurance company every few years to get the best rate you can. I'm firing progressive next month, along with Comcast and a few others that do the same thing. At least with Comcast, the moment you threaten to drop service, they reduce your rate back to sane levels. Most insurance companies don't seem to care.
I just started with Progressive last year. I'll probably do the same as you in a few years.
You could talk to their customer retention dept. (if they have one) and see if they would reduce your premium. I do that every year or so with ATT and they always end up reducing my monthly bill.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #15

I've heard that these roadside assist companies all use the same tow truck network; if they're busy you're going to wait no matter whom you have. Can anyone verify this?
Old 04-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #16

They are all pretty good depending on your needs. Look very carefully at what each service offers. One may offer things that are more important to you than another.

AAA for example offers an Premier RV plan that gives you unlimited towing incidents and 1 tow up to 200 miles to the destination of your choice. Coachnet offers unlimited towing, but to the nearest repair facility. If that's 200 miles then that's where they will take you. If it's 5 miles then you'll go there. Each service has limits on what kinds of trailers they will tow for you. Coachnet offers free over the phone tech support. AAA has nothing at all like that.

So you get the idea.

I've generally had good results with AAA over the years. I did have one incident that they didn't handle well and I switched to GSRA for a year. Then they wanted an additional $80 for the renewal so I went back to AAA. I took Premier RV this time because we rarely camp more than 200 miles away anymore. And if I break down I just want to be towed right to my house. For me that trumps all other features of the other motor clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
I've heard that these roadside assist companies all use the same tow truck network; if they're busy you're going to wait no matter whom you have. Can anyone verify this?
Well the reality is that there are only so many towing companies out there. The farther you are away from larger metropolitan areas the fewer towing companies to go around. And good business would dictate that you sign up with more than one motor club to stay busy, even if that means slower service for everyone on bad days.

EDIT: Oh one more thing. AAA has a national club, and state or regional clubs. They all AAA affiliated for the greater good of the members, but actually operate as independent clubs. The rules and coverage for these can vary, sometimes dramatically. So for example a plan that's offered in all states my not have the same coverage depending on what state/region's club you belong to.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #17

Be very careful if you only have a towing plan with your insurance carrier.
Most will not cover a trailer....only a motorized unit, and then some will not cover an RV....
Had this with State Farm. Just something to watch out for.......it is in the fine print.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #18

One more data point here.

Since I'm getting a new truck, I got a quote from my existing insurance company (Progressive) for it. They wanted an extra 40 bucks / month for the new truck, as I mentioned earlier.

So I have a 2012 Focus Titanium (my commuter) and my 150 on this policy currently and I'm paying 246 / month for both.

With the new Truck, they would be getting 290/ month for both which sounds high to me.

I just got a quote from Good Sam with the same coverages, including the new truck AND coverage for our camper. 210 / month for all 3.

Progressive was charging us 400 / year to insure the camper, which I just pay in full when it's due. So making the switch is going to end up saving us 110 dollars / month when all is said and done.

Apparently they also have homeowners policies too, so I'll probably bundle that in as well. Good Sam will be getting our business for at least the next year or two.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote