Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2016, 05:56 AM   #1

Question About to Trade from C to A - Are we Nuts?

Close to pulling the trigger on trading in our Greyhawk 31DS for a Precept 35S. Only a small amount apart with the dealer. Precept is a leftover 2016. We have had non-stop issues with the Greyhawk since date of purchase new. It is even now back in a shop for the living room slide not working again (took it to someone other than dealer who just kept putting new controller, new motor, new whatever on without really figuring out why stuff kept going out). New repair guy says we have a short and he is still looking for it. DUH!

Anyway, few things I'm not sure about in the Precept. Where do you put a coffee pot? We have a Keurig. Is water from the sink an issue with the TV right there in the counter. No nightstands next to the bed. Where do you put glasses, clock, etc?

Anybody want to talk me out of this purchase?
donellen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #2

We looked at the 35s. Bought the 31UL
50" TV,
Better conversation area with dinette across from sofa
When the passenger seat is turned you could fall down the steps when you get out of the seat on the 35s
Most counter space I have seen in a gas Class A
2017 has optional theatre seating
2017 upgraded from 19.5 tires to 22.5" on the 31ul

We camp in a lot of State Parks and COE parks and the 35 footer can be a bear to get into some of those sites
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:23 AM   #3

We are also Keurig lovers who looked closely at the 35S. We moved up from the 31DS also, but moved to the 31UL because of the countertop issue. Granted, the 35S has a lot of advantages over the 31 UL. As driver and packer, I’d opt for the 35S. As countertop lover and Keurig lover, DW won’t give up the 31UL.

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
Site Team

You guys must be coffee aficionados!

I can't believe that would sway what rig I bought! Maybe my wife, she is a Starbucks coffee addict. LOL WE brew it in a Mr Coffee.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. Biggest reason we are looking at the 35S is the king size bed. Spoiled I know, but if I'm going up in size, we need a king bed. Otherwise the 31UL looks ideal.

Another drawback is the 31DS fits in our driveway and we have a 30am plug put it just for it. The Precept will not be able to be brought home to load.

On another note, repairman called and he can find absolutely no short anywhere in the wiring for the living room slide on the Greyhawk. It has been a nightmare for two years now and who knows what will happen next time we try to use it.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donellen30 View Post
Thanks for the input. Biggest reason we are looking at the 35S is the king size bed. Spoiled I know, but if I'm going up in size, we need a king bed. Otherwise the 31UL looks ideal.

Another drawback is the 31DS fits in our driveway and we have a 30am plug put it just for it. The Precept will not be able to be brought home to load.

On another note, repairman called and he can find absolutely no short anywhere in the wiring for the living room slide on the Greyhawk. It has been a nightmare for two years now and who knows what will happen next time we try to use it.

Can't be brought home to load would be a deal breaker to me. I've been where I could not bring the RV home to load and now live where the RV is stored at my house. It makes a pretty big difference to be able to load / unload at the house. It does for me anyway.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:37 AM   #7

Nuts? No!! There are no wrong answers in RV decisions other than the ones that are driven by what others think, kind of like keeping up with the neighbors. If you want it and can afford it, have thought thru the pros and cons, then its your call. In the end, A or C all have pretty much the same things, but the A's have better countertops and china toilets. If those kind of things are important to you then its your decision since you will be the one writing the check.

My personal opinion is that is a lot of cash spending most of its life in a storage facility.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #8

Donellen, I could be wrong but if your Greyhawk DS fits in your driveway, so will the 31 UL. I've owned both. Also, with the use of a dog bone, you can plug your 50amp into your 30amp, or for that matter, a 115amp.

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:39 AM   #9

The 31UL with a dogbone and a 30amp hook up you can run one AC and the fridge while loading. Really handy loading up in Florida in May and June.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #10

Thanks everyone. We just returned from a 4 hour round trip to check out the Precept we had been interested in. Have totally changed our minds after spending some time in it. I hated the counter space and would have regretted it immediately. Loved the bathroom and bedroom, but the sofa was less than comfortable. Too many negatives to add another $60k with our trade in.

They did not have a 31 Ul but will have to check it out. As far as the living room slide in our Greyhawk' they have found no short or problem anywhere. Advised we operate the slides with the engine running! First time since purchase we have been told that. Will find out next weekend if it works.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #11

Quote:

They did not have a 31 Ul but will have to check it out. As far as the living room slide in our Greyhawk' they have found no short or problem anywhere. Advised we operate the slides with the engine running! First time since purchase we have been told that. Will find out next weekend if it works.
On the ME Manual there was mention of this....I Think!. I am not a fan of keeping the engine running, but we almost always camp with 30amp service so I make sure I am plugged in before deploying the stabilizers and putting out the slides. On the rare occasion I do not have shore power, I flip on the generator. I get the added bonus of getting in my once a month genny start up to help keep it in good condition.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks everyone. We just returned from a 4 hour round trip to check out the Precept we had been interested in. Have totally changed our minds after spending some time in it. I hated the counter space and would have regretted it immediately. Loved the bathroom and bedroom, but the sofa was less than comfortable. Too many negatives to add another $60k with our trade in.

We made a great decision between the A and C! We kept the C and moved up to a Seneca 36FK. We get the best of both worlds...

First: Service at a Freightliner dealership includes a 2-hour express lane for regular maintenance. If you take an A to them - you wait until Tuesday or Wednesdays when they take the Pushers. The Dealership treats a Freightliner M2-106 as a fleet truck and they have everything your chassis could need in stock, and they get you back out on the road right away.

Now to the rest of the coach... go and check one out - King Bed, Lots of counter space (we have a countertop coffee maker and travel with it ON the counter where it sits) Nightstand with power, Large Fridge that holds everything we need for over a week dry camping.

We just came back from a week in Colorado (104 daytime temp) and the dual AC running on generator power kept us cool inside all week. (will keep the coach at 73 if your kids don't leave the door open all the time)
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #13

We would have loved a Seneca, but it is way out of our price range.

We have purchased a 2016 Precept 31UL and will be making the trade next week. I love the layout of the 31UL. We will just have to make do with the queen size bed.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed we aren't trading one headache for another one. Greyhawk had non-stop living room slide issues.

I am excited about the jacks and lots of other stuff the Precept has that our Greyhawk does not.