Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2017, 02:00 PM   #1

AC Issues - GRRRRR!

Well, my 2010 17 C new to me had some issues on our last camping trip. This was our second time out with it and the first time that we needed to use the AC. Well, it didn't work When we bought it, we did the walk thru, but it was cold at that time. They said, it blows cold right? Well, it did....but now I'm thinking like it's doing now, it was just recirculating the cold air through the fan....UGH...Anyway, as we were camping, I asked the campground to borrow a ladder, but they said I couldn't do anything with the AC and would have to be replaced. I argued, but I think they just didn't want the potential issue of me getting hurt with their ladder. So, we suffered through it. I got home and started checking things. First, I found that there was a dropped ground. Fixed that problem in the circuit breaker box. Now, things still aren't cooling. I guess I should point out that even with the dropped ground, everything else still functioned in the camper. The fan blows in the AC, but it's just blowing warm air. Checked the compressor voltage, amperage draw as well as the capacitor. Getting low amperage draw on the compressor but the continuity of the compressor all checks out fine. Lines on the compressor are the same temperature as the ambient temperature along with the low amperage draw would indicate to me low or no refrigerant!?!?! Right?!?!? Am I missing something, or do I need to add some 410 to the system????? If there is something else to check or what, please let me know because at this point I believe I have checked everything possible. Thanks in advance!!!
mck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #2

If the compressor is running sure sounds like no/low freon. If it has a shrader valve in the line to add freon it's been fixed before. They don't come that wsy from the factory.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #3

The unit could very well be out of refrigerant. Before stuffing more refrigerant in, you'd have to find the leak.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #4

Thanks for responses guys! That's kinda my thinking too. And, yes, I know there are no service ports as it's a sealed system. And, don't get me started on these sealed systems - they should all have service ports in my opinion. I know they aren't supposed to leak, but still....ok, rant over....lol I could easily add some ports and refill the system. The biggest prohibitive side of this process is the cost of the 410A! But, it's cheaper than a new unit. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure I have covered all bases first. I just don't know of anything else that it could be or anything else to check. If you can think of anything, please let me know! Thanks so much!
Old 06-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #5

Check the data plate to verify its 410 as a 2010 could have a r22 unit . Find & repair the leak if its really that problem. r410A is an azeotrope refrigerant which means its a MIXTURE & leaks the different molecules at different volumes so to do it right it should be evacuated then recharged( so should all leaks) .
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #6

poohbear - Yes, it's 410A. I believe that's been the replacement for R22 since 2010 - the year our camper was built. But, regardless, that's what the tag says....12.8 oz. worth. And, I understand it should be evacuated first, which I can do as well. I just hate to go to the steps of putting in schraeder valves and going to the expense of the 410 if that's not it. It's pricey stuff and I only need less than a pound. I just can't think of anything else to check and was wondering if there was anything that anyone knew of before going down that road. If that's what it is, then it is and go from there. Just trying to cover all bases first before crossing that bridge. I guess I'm just too cheap to buy a new unit if I don't have to! I just am stubborn enough that if I can fix it, I will!