Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Looks like you have done your homework, and with the additional items mentioned by others, you should be all set!
Thank you. Always great resources here.

Roy,
I guess thats why a lot of people have dogs. Our's was pretty keen to let us know when a bear was close by in PA this June. Made me a little nervious, but at least I wasn't caught off guard lol

Boondocking seems like great fun, especially if you with a group.

Maybe I'll catch you on the Blue Ridge Pkwy next summer.

Kind regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #22

Hey Doug, go to Sams Club and get their $25 electric blanket for those cooler nights. It has dual controls for the bed, or single use for the couch or chair. That is if you don't have a heated mattress. Also, can't stress the awning hold downs enough, even if your awning is electric. Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #23

kracker -

I am just using the kill-a-watt P4400 as an accurate voltmeter. The 120VAC output plug is a pass-through so it works just fine plugging the three light circuit tester into the receptacle.

I actually have a three plug 120VAC outlet adapter plugged into the output receptacle of the kill-a-watt meter. It has been reported the receptacle is weak somewhat and you can damage it if used alot, So I have the adapter plugged into it so I wear it out i can replace it...

Nothing magic about using the kill-a-watt meter. It is something I already had and it is a very accurate meter. This meter is one of the best meter to measure your amp loads and accurate AC volt readings in determinating KWH loads for your INVERTER running off the batteries. Just plug this meter into an receptacle and then plug the fridge or any other 120VAC appliance and it will tell what the wattage is.

The objective here is test the RV30A pedestal connection to make sure it is wired correctly. The three light circuit test meter just looks at the RV30A connection....

The RV30(M) to 15A (F) adapter just allows me to plug in the kill-a-watt meter easier. Just make sure your adapter cord is using all three connections. I like having multiple connections on the output of the kill-a-watt meter so i can load down the circuit with a 120VAC incandescent bulb to load it it down to see if anything changes with the voltmeter read or the three light cicuit tester.

I picked up the three light circuit tester with GFCI from LOWES for $8 I think it was...

I see it is also listed on AMAZON
http://www.amazon.com/Gardner-GFI-50.../dp/B00004WLJM

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
Hey Doug, go to Sams Club and get their $25 electric blanket for those cooler nights. It has dual controls for the bed, or single use for the couch or chair. That is if you don't have a heated mattress. Also, can't stress the awning hold downs enough, even if your awning is electric. Terry
Thanks Terry,
We have one of those on our bed at home. It's really nice in the winter :-)
Years ago when I had my last TT, I bought the awning hold down straps. I agree with you, they are a good investment.
I am really careful about not leaving my awning out if I even suspect a chance of wind gusts, but those ties give you an added degree of protection.

Thanks for the input.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 12-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #25

Since I read this at work this has become a long thread!

I think you have a pretty good list going. I would suggest looking at your tool box a little more closely and eliminate a bunch of items. In the TT I do not have the best of tools, I also only carry what I will potentially need. Have No sockets, I have yet to find any spot where one is needed.

The TT is in storage so here is my list as to what is in my very small toolbox as I recall;

Square drive screw driver (use this the most)
7 in 1 screw driver
Crescent wrench (med size, aka universal metric wrench)
Needle nose pliers
Side cutter (small)
Linesman pliers
Disposable utility knife (break off tip style)
Small roll of electrical tape
Teflon tape (plumbers tape)
A few Scotchlok wire connectors, a few wire nuts
Safety glasses
15/16 box wrench (water heater drain wrench)
Spare fuses (15, 20 amp, I want a 1 amp for the frig but I have not located that yet)
Garden hose washers (just a couple)
6-12V Circuit tester (continuity tester)
A few Kreg square drive screws of various sizes
A few spare light bulbs
A small squeeze tube of clear silicone caulk (marine grade)
Small hammer (6-8oz)
Zip ties of various sizes

As for the garden hose, I would recommend two 25 footers, or maybe replacing one with a 10 footer. I carry two 25’ hoses and have never used one of them.

Garden hose Wye, just in case you need to share a water supply.
90 deg elbow, this will take the stress off the plastic hose coupler on the TT

I also carry a Safety Vest, just in case I need to change a tire on the street side along the freeway, I also have a bright yellow rain suit for the same reason.

I have a small tube of grease for the hitch
A small hatchet for fire making

I am sure there are a few additional things but that is all I can think of at the moment.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #26

Doug - I noticed tie wraps listed above. This is what I use to hold up 24-feet of rope lights (LOWES) that I use to go around the inside of the awning. I drilled little holes all the way around and using the tie wraps to hold up the rope lights.

These are great to use around the awning. They give off just the right amount of light and the big deal they don't draw bugs... I think they have LED version lights now - mine is incandescent.

So if you find a bunch of snipped off tie wraps laying on the ground at a camp site that was probably me from the night before hehe... I try to pick them all up but probably miss a few...

Roy Ken
Old 12-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #27

Doug - Another item that really paid off for us is these FOLDING STEPS from Camping World. They are a bit pricey but being heavy duty like they are you can really stomp on them before entering the trailer keeping the dirt and leaves down.

I installed the two-foot carpet squares on the floor and under the tent bed mattress of my OFF-ROAD POPUP and never realized what you carry into the trailer on your boots before I did this.

My OFF-ROAD POPUP is high off the ground anyway so these steps are just perfect for the first step.

Making sure they wouldn't grow legs and wander off when we are away I used a locking steel cable from the pull out steps mechanism down thru the Coleman Road Trip grill and thru the folding steps on the bottom. All locked up and secure.
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
Old 12-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I also carry a Safety Vest, just in case I need to change a tire on the street side along the freeway, I also have a bright yellow rain suit for the same reason.
You know, I've considered keeping a few orange road cones or triangle markers and a few road flares in my TT. If you break down just over the rise of a hill on a busy or fast road, using them would warn oncoming drivers. And possibly prevent a catastrophe.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
You know, I've considered keeping a few orange road cones or triangle markers and a few road flares in my TT. If you break down just over the rise of a hill on a busy or fast road, using them would warn oncoming drivers. And possibly prevent a catastrophe.
I have three folding triangles in the TV.

I also keep an 18” ½” breaker bar with the three most common sockets for lug nut sizes.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have three folding triangles in the TV.

I also keep an 18” ½” breaker bar with the three most common sockets for lug nut sizes.
Great reminders guys for roadside safety stuff in addition to the Fire Extinguisher :-)

I have a CDL from driving Limousines for a friend of mine. I think the trooper would ream me if I didn't have my triangles.

Definitely adding that one to the list. That's even a good one to think about for your TV or car breaking down on the road side. We often don't think of these things.

From and CDL (Commercial Drivers License) standpoint, it's a requirement by State Law that you have these things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Julies New Ride.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	5929

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 12-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The more expensive WX radios have to be programmed for the county you are in and running around the country going to different camp sites around the US sort of defeats this requirement.

[IMG
http://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/imagebucket/img_107769_0_6716c8d9b43c99f07bf10674fe1e6f68.gif[/IMG]

My upper end weather radio has an "ALL COUNTIES" option so you don't have to put in the S.A.M.E. code for the county that you're currently in. My big beef is I wish CG's would post on their bulletin boards the frequency of the NWS transmitter that serves their county. Here in West Michigan if you camp on the west coast your weather radio will pull in xmitters from Wisconsin...makes it hard to know what's coming your way at times.