Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Accumulating Accessories Over The Winter - Hopefully I Have Thought of Everything

Ok, we bought this 2007 Sport 165, serviced it just in time to put into cold storage.
I took inventory and put together a list of accessories I needed reading through every post in this forum.
Hopefully I have everything we'll need come next Spring.

1. It came with a 10ft sewer hose.
- Added another 10ft kit, with sewer donut
- Added another 5ft hose for use with portable tank
2. Purchased 15 gal portable waste tank
3. 30amp/50amp adaptor, 18" style (also have 15amp/30amp)
4. Set of wheel chocks
4. Set of Lynx Levelers
5. Tool Kit Assembled
Hardcase set with rackets, screw drivers, pliers, wrenches etc
Pipe wrench, Hammer, Multi-meter, Eternabond 4" x 50', grease gun, tire pressure guage, elctrical tape, duct tape
6. Water hose 50ft
7. Water pressure regulator
8. Electric heater
9. 2 Bicycle cable locks
10. Propane tank guage
11. 24" Flat screen TV
12. TV Wall Mount
13. Printed copy of all manuals and spare parts lists.
14. Packing list - Pre-flight checks :-)

Can't swing the power protection unit yet. Have to rely on the multi-meter and a little luck.

I think that should get me started. Any adds that I've missed?

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #2

Looks like you have it pretty well figured out. I didn't see a gas grill on the list. The only other things that come to mind are reservations for some campgrounds!

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I love spending other folks money!

If it didn't come with..., awning tie-downs are something handy to have for those windy days.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Nice list. I still have many wants and needs, and they are all very expensive!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Wagon View Post
Looks like you have it pretty well figured out. I didn't see a gas grill on the list. The only other things that come to mind are reservations for some campgrounds!
I spent all last week making 72 days of reservations for next year :-)

Thanks for all the great post, it was very helpful to see what people find as neccessities and useful accessories.

I do have a gas grill, it's RV-Que that hangs on the side of the camper. Works great for just the two of us.

I am thinking about looking into a 2nd propane tank. Maybe just a 20lb.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 12-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #6

I've got a few for you.

Make sure your spare tire is good, and that you have a jack and the correct lug nut socket for changing a wheel, if you ever have a flat.

You might grab several 10 or 12 inch lengths of 2x6 or 2x8 to use under the levelers. I usually carry a dozen or so pieces. Sometimes the places you park aren't level, and either the front or rear leveling jacks have a long way to go to reach the ground. And the less you have to crank the jacks down, the more stable the trailer is. I've resorted to using big rocks found near my camp spots, and those work well too.

Water filter to attach inline with your hose. Walmart has Camco carbon filters for about 15 bucks, I think.

Make sure you have a few replacement bulbs, especially for the trailer tail lights.

That's all I can think of now Doug. Sounds like you're gonna have fun!

Bill
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #7

Quite a list. A word of caution: don't be greasing the poor wheel bearings every week. I am not sure why people think they need to grease the bearings so often. Unless there is an obvious problem such as a blown seal, or you are pulling the trailer from Florida to Alaska and back every week all year round, you could likely do it once a season. You will push the seals out if you grease them too much.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #8

Great list from my perspective, but I'm still new to this and maybe a little inexperienced. You might want to purchase a Honda EU2000i Companion and have it shipped to my house. Not sure how that will be of a benefit to you, but........................Happy Camping!!
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn73 View Post
Quite a list. A word of caution: don't be greasing the poor wheel bearings every week. I am not sure why people think they need to grease the bearings so often. Unless there is an obvious problem such as a blown seal, or you are pulling the trailer from Florida to Alaska and back every week all year round, you could likely do it once a season. You will push the seals out if you grease them too much.
Thanks John,
That's one I haven't heard of. I usually only add grease 1-2 times per year, but it's good to know not to get carried away with it.

I appreciate all the other input, I'll make note of them.

Best regards,
Doug, Julie & Penny

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 12-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #10

Nice list Doug. I carry a extra set of bearings, hub seal and tube of grease (had to change these on a boat trailer once on the side of the road after spending half the day tracking the parts down from diffrent stores ..not fun). Dont forget fuses, electrical crimp connectors, might want to look into the under the trailer mount fence post/sewer hose holder mod (see my pics in the thread for what I did on my 165), WD40, small tube of sealant, nice flashlight or head lamp for night time outside repairs, AAA or GoodSam roadside assistance membership, a decent bottle jack and wood blocks, some de-flappers and awning tiedowns (well worth the investment) and a extra door key stored outside/hidden under the camper somewhere (trust me )
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #11

exjay beat me to the punch about fuses, so I'll add extra washers for the water supply, spray lube (not WD40, it's good stuff just not for lube), maybe a small air compressor, tire pressure gauge, spare light bulbs, in cooler weather we use an electric space heater instead of the furnace.
Something to keep you calm till camping season starts.

Merry Christmas to all!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #12

I will add a couple more items that we have for our trailer...

I dont think I saw one of these RV plug-in 120VAc meters. Great to have around to monitor your 120VAC line voltage from inside the trailer. This meter also has the "GREEN" safe zone for you to view. Great for monitoring the line voltage when using your power adapters.

I also have a pouch hanging by the front door with a flashlight in it and a couple of UDAP BEAR SPRAY canisters. Wasp 30-foot range spray works as well...

My trailer is also equipped with a working motion detector for the front awning lights with sensors on both the front and back side of the trailer.

Never know what two or four legged animals are going to walk up on you when camping off the power grid.

You may have covered this already but this is the combo we use here to test the camp ground pwer pedestals using our KILL-A-WATT P4400 meter. I plug the three light circuit tester in the front of the kill-a-watter meter and use the RV30A (m) to 15A (f) adapter on the back of the kill-a-watt meter to plug into the pedestal 30AMP connection. When the two YELLOW lights come on you are good to go...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ah Roy,
I have one of those circuit testers.
So I can use that to test the CG post service with my accessories?
1. Plug in 30 amp / 15 amp adaptor
2. Plug Circuit tester into 15 amp side of adaptor
3. Yellow lights mean "good"

or

1. Plu 50amp / 30amp adaptor into 50amp service
2. Plug 30amp / 15 amp adaptor into 30 amp side of #1
3. Plug circuit tester into 15amp side of #2

I also added the Bear Spray :-)

I am trying not to pack every possible accessory, we mostly camp with full hook-ups or at least electric.

Thanks for the additional comments.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #14

We camp alot off the power grid so I am all for the PLAN-B items... Actually on a few of our long term trips (more than a week camping) I will bring along my Jeep pulling a 5x8 trailer... I already can carry some serious supplies and thing using my front deck and the bed of the pickup truck. I get really serious bringing along another 5x8 trailer loaded down. I am camping along with our Emergency COMMS weather alerts trips so do carry some extra antennas and junk for the two-way radio setups.

Never know what is going to break down hehe...

I learned that very well back in my Arizona JEEP TRAIL days... Thank goodness someone in the group has something to get you back out on the main road...

Roy Ken

2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
Old 12-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #15

small bag of ant killer/granuels (sp). Last time out we had a huge ant hill in the corner of our site and luckly I spotted it before the kids found it. The wasp spray is a good idea expecially if your pulling your TT out of storage after a long stay.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #16

Doug - One other item I have added that is real big help for us and that is a NOAH WX RADIO. Mine is hard wired in place with the batteries removed. I picked up a cheap version 12-260 $30 from Radio Shack. I have to fold over my sink/stove when we setup so this is when I plug it into the 12VDC adapter. I got the cheap version as it will search for the local NOAH RADIO signal when you first turn it on. The more expensive WX radios have to be programmed for the county you are in and running around the country going to different camp sites around the US sort of defeats this requirement.

I always want to be informed on upcoming storms being in my Off-Road POPUP. When the alarm goes off then I tune in the local town National Broadcast digital HDTV signal using my OTA Batwing antenna and watch their 24/7 radar page to see what is going on...

Works good for us camping off thepower grid around the East side of the US.

Roy Ken

Old 12-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Roy,
I've been through a couple Tornados here in Ohio so I have the NOA weather radio and use it often :-)
I've also learned to always look at the Road Atlas and know what County I am in. Seems like they report warnings by county.
When we have Wireless, the weather radar is always on the Laptop for me.

The Wasp spray was a great idea. Bears & Wasp, a 2fer lol
When I was servicing my TT after I bought it in October, I pulled all the wheels off to inspect, treat any rust and repainted.
The spare had a wasp nest in it! Luckily it had gotten cold and they were sleepy :-)

I appreciate all the great adds.

Kind regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 12-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #18

dougtoms01 - Actually the WASP SPRAY is for spraying bears or two legged animals but could be used for wasps also. The UDAP bear Spray with belt loop holder is kinda expensive $40 or more from AMAZON. The wasp spray has the extended feet coverage range. Haven't tried wasp spray on a bear yet but did get to squirt a bear in the Great Smoky Mtn Natl Park once using the UDAP bear spray. I don't know if it hit him or not but he went skamping away.. We have bears to contend with here up on Skyline drive.

I was up at Loft Mtn year before last and had just gone to the local camp store on site. When I got back the neighbor camper said you missed the bear. Said he was walking down the site road with his hose high in the air - this was around 2PM that afternoon...

We was camping in the Wichita Mtns Wildlife Refuge at medicine Park OK one year and they had several reports of a cougar wandering around at dusk. The Camp Doris there is right on a hugh lake so I guess thats where the Cougar comes to drink water haha... We got one sighting on the other side of the Lake one afternoon. Sure keeps you from going outside after dark haha...

Roy Ken

Old 12-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #19

Looks like you have done your homework, and with the additional items mentioned by others, you should be all set!
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I will add a couple more items that we have for our trailer...

I dont think I saw one of these RV plug-in 120VAc meters. Great to have around to monitor your 120VAC line voltage from inside the trailer. This meter also has the "GREEN" safe zone for you to view. Great for monitoring the line voltage when using your power adapters.

I also have a pouch hanging by the front door with a flashlight in it and a couple of UDAP BEAR SPRAY canisters. Wasp 30-foot range spray works as well...

My trailer is also equipped with a working motion detector for the front awning lights with sensors on both the front and back side of the trailer.

Never know what two or four legged animals are going to walk up on you when camping off the power grid.

You may have covered this already but this is the combo we use here to test the camp ground pwer pedestals using our KILL-A-WATT P4400 meter. I plug the three light circuit tester in the front of the kill-a-watter meter and use the RV30A (m) to 15A (f) adapter on the back of the kill-a-watt meter to plug into the pedestal 30AMP connection. When the two YELLOW lights come on you are good to go...

Roy Ken
Sorry for getting a little off topic here, but I am curious as to how the KILL-A-WATT P4400 meter, with the 3 light circuit tester works. I googled the meter, but didn't find much information in using it as you have mentioned. Also where do you pick up a 3 light circuit tester like you have in the picture? Please enlighten me.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote