Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #1

adding water when there is no water hookup

Looking for what people use when they need to add water when there is no water hookup at site. We tend to camp at state parks alot, and not being able to add water at the site becomes kind of a pita.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #2

We have a couple Reliance blue jugs we use. Camping world sells a soft 34? Gallon bladder you can put in truck and fill at station. Otherwise people have made portable fresh water tanks for their trucks. Also I've seen people make adapters for their hoses that clamp onto the state park water taps. Hook up, run hose to RV, fill, and disconnect. Only issue with truck tanks is the tank must be higher than water fill port, or you have to get a cheap water pump.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #3

We use the following two items to fill the tanks. The electric water pump I got on amazon and the water bladder I got at camping world.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG   51Ci6OouziL.jpg  
2014 Dodge Ram 2500, Diesel

TEBechtold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhollywood View Post
Looking for what people use when they need to add water when there is no water hookup at site. We tend to camp at state parks alot, and not being able to add water at the site becomes kind of a pita.
Same problem....I put a small version of this kind of tank in the bed of my pickup http://www.water-storage-containers....tankwater.html

Then bought a small 12 volt pump with a long cord and cigarette lighter plug on the end. Also long clear tubing to go on outlet side of pump.

Works great.... fill tank at some outlet....back up close to trailer. Put pump in tank...plug in to 12 volts and let the water flow.

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #5

We camp alot of the times off the beaten path mostly in the NATL FOREST. When w drive in we spot out water is available... Usually you will find a primitive outhouse some where going in the Natl Forest and most often they have water available there.
I carry two fresh water 5-gallon cans and two 7.5 gallon Aqua-Tainers for GRAY Water disposal...

I use a couple of the 5-gallon water cans and go fetch water with them. Having the cassette potty I take with me and dump at the rest facility and bring back fresh water. It is a daily chore keeping the waste water and fresh water replinished. All part of camping for us...

We drink and cook with bottled water so fresh water is for dishes and showers etc... I think my OFF-ROAD POPUP has a 30-gal fresh water tank on it...

I have a two wheeled folding cart that I carry water cans on if it is just a short distance away. If it is a long ways away then I use my truck...

Ice and getting enough gasoline to run the 2KW generator for three hours each to recharge batteries is our bigger problem...hehe I have a cipher hose to get gas from the truck if needed and also have a 5-day ICE CHEST which we fill up with ice. Sometimes I have to drive back to civilization and get more ice and more meat for the grille...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #6

What kind of position ate you using. Having a hard time finding an non submersible pump. Already have 3 7.5 gallon jugs just lifting them and holding them there till they are empty is taxing on the arms. Looking for a small pump that I can use to transfer the water with.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #7

see my post above cheap pump that will suck water from numerous sources.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:43 PM   #8

I use the pickup tube from fresh water winterization valve (the one that would normally suck up antifreeze) to pump water from 5 gallon water jugs. Works fantastic.
andrewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #9

Where would I look on Amazon for that pump, and did they have one that uses 12 volt power?
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:01 AM   #10

Use one of these.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
Where would I look on Amazon for that pump, and did they have one that uses 12 volt power?
http://www.amazon.com/Volt-Marine-Ut.../dp/B005TJ89YG

Old 07-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #12

You can get a marine pump at Harbor Freight for less than $40. Ours is a 12v and we can either use the truck batt for power or the batt on the trailer.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #13

I currently use a 6 gallon jug to refill the tank. It take about 6 jugs to get a completely empty tank full with this method. I am considering some type of larger bladder tank and pump for the back of the truck as carrying jugs daily gets old.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #14

Water hookups aren't common here. You fill up on your way in at a tap, then once in your site, there is one or more water taps in each camping loop/section that you use to get water. The only thing people around here do is bring enough hose (people commonly have 75' on hand) to hook up to the tap and back to their trailer, turn on tap and fill up the trailer. If you don't have enough hose, there is usually some nice enough to see your hose stop short before you've made it to the tap and offer you one of their hoses to add on so you can fill.

All the campgrounds we've been to have been able to just screw your hose on to the water tap fitting. We do have a Water Thief available in case we run into one that doesn't.
SilverEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #15

Just picked up the marine pump from harbor freight. I will keep everyone posted on how it works.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenoble99 View Post
I currently use a 6 gallon jug to refill the tank. It take about 6 jugs to get a completely empty tank full with this method. I am considering some type of larger bladder tank and pump for the back of the truck as carrying jugs daily gets old.
We also use a 6 gallon water jug. I usually wait until day 3 and then add 3 jugs daily. That's what my father always made me add when I was a kid so that's what I do now and I've never ran out of water.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:35 AM   #17

Now with all of this extra fresh water being added, I just KNOW all of the grey water is being taken to the dump, right? Besides, you have to have grey water to flush out the tote after dumping the black. Yep, I'm right - All grey water is going to the dump.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Now with all of this extra fresh water being added, I just KNOW all of the grey water is being taken to the dump, right? Besides, you have to have grey water to flush out the tote after dumping the black. Yep, I'm right - All grey water is going to the dump.
We've got a portable grey water tank we add and it can be towed to the dump station to empty. It's pretty common around here to see the portable grey water tanks connected.
SilverEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #19

I carry two 5 gal. water jugs that I fill at the campground water spigot, then use a small hand pump (like a basketball pump) to transfer it into the trailer. Takes about 200 pumps to transfer each 5 gal. jug, and 12 jugs full to refill the tank. But I've developed great biceps from it (ha! ha!). I'm thinking about getting one of those transfer pumps that fits on a power drill to make the job a little easier. They're only about $20 @ Home Depot.

I use a 35 gal. tote to empty the grey/black tanks, which means 3 trips to the dump station (one for each tank). Takes a couple of hours for a complete changeover, but it gets the job done.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #20

I always carried 2 5 gal jerry cans with spout in translucent white. Easier to carry two than one!
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote