Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #21

The campground you choose will depend upon what you want to do.

Example: Bluebell CG is near Horseback riding stables and Chuck Wagon ride and dinner. Sylvan Lake CG has the beautiful lake for swimming, fishing, etc. Each has its own features. Many CGs have a lodge associated with them that offers nice dining as well.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #22

So much to see in the Black Hills.

Definitely stay a night in the badlands. Electric only sites.

We also spent a night in Wall and have a story to tell. We stayed in one of two local campgrounds. My daughter had an allergic reaction to a milk product (my mistake) and we phoned 911 having been told by the camp host that there is no doctor in Wall.

Anyway, 15 minutes after the call a fully equipped ambulance showed up, staffed by 3 town volunteers. A few minutes later 4 more volunteers showed up. That's 7 great people who rushed out of their homes at dinner time to descend on the campground. One turned out to be an emergency room nurse in Rapid City. He took charge and it all turned out OK for my daughter. No charge for any service.

So, my hats off to Wall! God Bless Them.

Ensign
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #23

Contrary to another post, I would recommend staying at Custer's Gulch campground. While I agree the management isn't the most friendly, once you are checked in, who cares? There is no reason to deal with them anymore after that. The sites are huge, and you are less than a mile from the park.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8163.jpg   IMG_8161.jpg   IMG_8164.jpg   IMG_8168.jpg  

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:52 PM   #24

Planning a trip now for this area probably in late June early July. Thanks for the tips. Will start working on reservations in the next week or so. Been there years ago and looking forward to getting there again this year.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #25

I have a 10 year old and a 6 year old just like you. We are going to Custer in July. We already made reservations. Going to skip Deadwood this time, it's just a tourist trap. Wind cave, and crazy horse, jewel cave, needles hwy, Rushmore, the hill city train (makes reservations now). Since your kid is probably in 4 th grade like mine, make sure to get your free national parks pass. https://www.everykidinapark.gov/get-your-pass/ It should save you some $$$

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:09 PM   #26

If Custer is already booked up check out Whispering Pines, just outside hill city, on the way to Deadwood. Nice place Whispering Pines Campground | Black Hills & Badlands - South Dakota

Regards,
JP
Old 03-22-2017, 10:37 PM   #27

Be aware they do get some nasty storms in the hills. Two summers ago when we were there Palmer Gulch KOA had a number of trailers destroyed by hail. A person I know who lives in Hill City had both his cars totalled from the hail. Do NOT leave your awning up when not present, in Rapid City we had several that did that and the wind wrapped the awings over the top of the RV and busted AC and skylight, besides the awning itself.

Rain and Hail got so bad it actually closed Interstate 90 for about 20 miles, due to flooding and standing hail.

A weather radio is very helpful to get up to the minute weather reports.

Summers the campgrounds will be close to 100% so make sure you have reservations.

Happy Camping

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #28

That they do! A few years ago our Jeep was almost totaled in a hail storm!

Regards,
JP
Old 03-24-2017, 06:55 AM   #29

We were out there last fall, my 3rd trip to the area. No kids this time, so we were concentrating on the national forest area to the west. (kids would be bored there)

I would skip Deadwood, nothing too exciting there for kids. (Nothing there for ME either!) 100% agree with staying at the badlands and picking one CG in Custer and go from there. There are also a handful of NF campgrounds in the area if you are equipped to go without electric. Definitely go to Wind Cave, kids should love it. Evening program at Mt Rushmore is nice. A drive on any of the roads around there will be scenic. Needles highway and the wildlife loop are must do. Tons of stuff to see around there, have a great time!
ExxWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kketchmark View Post
I am in Shoreview MN and left on a Friday night. Stayed in Sioux Falls the first night (4 Hr Drive). Some cool thing to see in Sioux Falls. (Falls Park in Sioux Falls, South Dakota). Next night stayed at the KOA in the badlands. Nice Place. Next Day to Mount Rushmore KOA. Made that the base camp and did day trips for 4 days. I was there over July 4th. Fireworks over Mount Rushmore was Awesome. But a very long day.
Done similar. I love the Custer area. There is a lot to do. This last trip we made no reservations to get to Custer. The DW wanted to leave in the morning for the Badlands. I made the comment the TT is fully packed, lets get on the road and stop when we are tired, even if it was only 170 miles down the road. I have friends along the I90 corridor, if we wanted to stop at their place. We drove right on past and stayed at a SP near Sioux Falls, about 280 miles from home.

Next day we went to the BadLands NP, stayed there for the night. They take no reservations, when we drove into the park, the visitor parking lots were packed, and lots of RVs parked long the roadside. Made a Beeline to the CG, it still had plenty of campsites at 3 pm. Setup, rested, had an early dinner, then went out sight seeing. The visitor areas were empty, maybe only six cars total in the areas we went to see, compared to the hundreds a few hours earlier.

Following day off to Custer. We have always stayed at Stockade Lake South CG within the park (electric only, no dump station as I recall). We like it, it is a bit quieter than the other CGs and the campers are spread further apart.

From Stockade Lake South CG you are fairly close to a lot of attractions. Nearly every night we would do a drive around the wildlife loop. There are multiple cave tours available in the area, The Mammoth site, our son who was about 10 the last time we went, he loved the kids Paleontology (I think that is what it is called) dig program. The 1880 train was awesome, Crazy Horse, Mount Rushmore. There is so many things you can do, four days is not close to enough time.

Last time we where there was over the 4th of July and Custer (town) put on an excellent fireworks show.

I think we have been there about 4 times in 20 years. I wish we lived a lot closer so we could get out there more often.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #31

Thanks for the information I will be using it over the next week or two since I will start booking my camp sites. Please feel to add more ideas.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #32

Waited too long for our mid-summer trip so we decided to reschedule for a trip around labor day weekend. Believe it or not, was able to get our first choices on campgrounds for the whole trip. Getting excited!!!
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:53 AM   #33

If you have the time 2 1/2 hours away is Fort Robinson state park in Nebraska my kids love that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2018, 09:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
If you have the time 2 1/2 hours away is Fort Robinson state park in Nebraska my kids love that as well.

Our family reunion is the first weekend in August. The following week we were looking for someplace to go with my uncle. His wife is from Georgia and has never been to the Black Hills so she wanted to go there. Only problem is that is Sturgis bike rally so all motels and campgrounds in the black hills are booked. We checked out Ft. Robinson and were able to get them a cabin and us a campsite. Ft. Robinson is just far enough away to be able to get lodging but close enough to drive to the hills for the day to see Rushmore and what not.

6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #35

During the Sturgis rally every place will be very crowded, so plan ahead. Restaurants, Rushmore, highways etc....

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #36

I know. I’ve been to the sturgis bike rally many years. I had a Harley road king but sold it when we had kids. We know it will be busy but not undo able. Plus there are plenty of things to do and see in and around Ft. Robinson.

6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote