Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #11
Just to confirm you fears, drum brakes badly contaminated by lubricants do get grabby.

But, it takes quite a bit of contamination (axle seal failure on a powered axle) to cause it. A small amount of grease, wiped off will not be noticed from the cab.

I would suspect brake controller setting first (as most others have suggested).

mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #12
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
My suggestion would be to drive on gravel and apply the brakes. If only one wheel skids, then probably that one wheel has contaminated brake linings. ...snip
If possible, start here before pulling wheels randomly.

Do you know if you have one or more wheels locking up and skidding on the pavement? If you've experienced this, make sure it didn't cause flat spots on your tires.

I have a Ford OEM brake controller, too. I've never experienced anything like grabbing on any gain settings.

Sherm & Terry w/rescues Steve (std Poodle) & Eydie (min Schnauzer)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights 2015, 90 nights 2016)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #13
That is what I needed to know. I know the brakes cannot be badly contaminated. The controller in the new Expedition is more sophisticated and may control the brakes differently.

OldmanAZ, I haven't seen the wheels lock up, but the braking force seems a lot higher than what I'm used to. It doesn't seem to matter if I have the gain setting on 7.5 or 4.0.
Keith C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #14
As an electronics technician, the problem I'm seeing here has too many variables.

You need to split the problem down the middle: is it to tow vehicle or the trailer?

If this was an amplifier and record player, I'd pull out my "known good" equipment and swap modules until I found the "good" and "bad" halves.

Do you have access to another trailer or tow vehicle? Even ones that you'd never consider going any distance with?

If two trailers on the same tow vehicle show the same problem *or* no matter which tow vehicle pulls your trailer the trailer shows the problem, will conclusively prove which side of the hitch the problem is on.

Once you know that, the repairs are unique to each side.
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #15
I just got a 2015 Ford F250 and yes it does have three modes for the controller, separate from the gain control. check your manual and make sure your expedition does not have this setting. On the F250 it's changed while viewing the trailer in the info display that is dead center of the instrument panel.

2015 Jay Flight 31 RLDS
2015 F250, Reese straightline
Ham Lic: W4TFB
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote