Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #1

Aghhh, Discovered A Water Leak

Walked thru our 2010 Jay Flight FBS while it is in storage and discovered what appears to be a water leak that has developed around and under the escape window in the front bedroom. All the classic indications of slightly bulged paneling, the linoleum raised along the wall and last but not least a noticeable soft spot approx 5x10" in the floor along the wall. Our Insurance (State Farm) has been contacted and was told to get an estimate of course. The thing is the 2 year warranty expired of course in August and this leak has definitely been going on well before the warranty expiration date. So will see what happens when the dealer looks it over hopefully on Wednesday. Anyone else ever deal with this mess?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Site Team

There have been threads on this and other forums where the window seals failed causing the damage you are describing. The fix for the leak is to remove the window and properly reseal it. (If that is where the leak is, sometimes water can come in where you do not expect it). Hopefully dealer or insurance will take care of you.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ht=window+seal
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Site Team

When was the last time you had a roof inspection?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #4

Not since I cleaned it this past summer. As far as a dealer, not since it was purchased in August 2010. I did see a streak of rust indicating running water on the end of one of the metal out riggers while inspecting underneath the bottom of the unit today and the outrigger was positioned directly under the escape window which also gave me the notion of the escape window seal leaking. The wall bulge is below and about 12" or so to the side of the window not above and the floor soft spot is directly below the window
Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Rick,

If you can, feel free to post some pics of the damaged areas you are referring to. The pics may give others a "heads-up" in what to watch out for. As mentioned, I would also give your roof a good inspection as well just to rule out any issues up there.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #6

Here is the answer from Jayco I figured I would get. Thinking about it though, regardless if it is a warranty or not maybe Jayco should publish maintenance pics in the manual on how the company expects the owner to properly seal windows,the roof, and other external equipment.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Jayco. Actually the
windows and all exterior seals are to be cap sealed each and every year. So if
this window was not cap sealed it is due to lack of properly maintain the window
seal. These instructions are in the maintenance section of your owners manual.
It is entirely possibly and very likely that the foam seal failed after 2 years
as it should have been sealed over a year ago. In this I must respectfully
decline any warranty assistance as this damage is considered caused by not
properly and regularly maintaining the exterior seals of the unit.
I am sorry I that I am not able to assist you today in this request. If
we can be of assistance to you in other ways in the future, Please feel free to
contact us again at your convenience.

Sincerely,

Jayco Customer Service

It looks like the soft area of the floor is actually softball size along the wall under the window and where the paneling pulled away. Looking underneath the TT it looks like the water escaped out the bottom in a 12-16" wide area also under the window, will know more tomorrow after linoleum is raised. Linoleum is bubbled 18-24" x 6" under the window. I will try to remember to take pictures to post
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Site Team

He is correct that there is a specific set of instructions in the owners manual regarding when and where to check the seals and reseal if necessary, and any damage resulting from not sealing may be unwarrantable. (I just looked in my 2010 Jayflight manual to confirm). That being said, the window seals should last longer then a few years IMO. The roof sealants on the other hand can and do fail if not inspected/resealed at least once a year, twice is better.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #8

Yes I do agree, the sealant should last longer than a few years especially something new and under warranty which mine did expire in August but it never hurts to try. Another thing, when resealing on the roof do you remove old sealant or cover up bad area with new sealant I am new to this and any info is greatly appreciated
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
Site Team

When resealing my roof, I used Dicor self leveling lap sealant which is commonly used for this purpose on RV roofs. I applied the new sealant right over the old, wherever it appeared to need it. For sealing things like clearance lights or around storage doors or windows, I would use a product called Proflex.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Step View Post
snip...... the sealant should last longer than a few years especially something new and under warranty .....snip
Unfortunately our TT's are exposed to constant changing weather conditions..., then add in the effect of road vibrations and less than ideal road conditions while towing a TT down the highway at 60 mph...., doesn't help the cause.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #11

Yes, they do flex a lot while being towed
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #12

Thank you for the info on the products
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
When resealing my roof, I used Dicor self leveling lap sealant which is commonly used for this purpose on RV roofs. I applied the new sealant right over the old, wherever it appeared to need it. For sealing things like clearance lights or around storage doors or windows, I would use a product called Proflex.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #13

I've been following along.....

I consider myself a newbie at this as I bought our X23B last June.

Do you do an inspection yourself or do you have a dealer check the roof? I'm not sure I would know what I was looking for!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
I've been following along.....

I consider myself a newbie at this as I bought our X23B last June.

Do you do an inspection yourself or do you have a dealer check the roof? I'm not sure I would know what I was looking for!
I pay to have my TT winterized by my dealer, he also inspects the roof and then sends me a letter letting me know that everything was done and it says " roof inspected and all is ok". I keep the letter.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #15

Rick, I have had a leak issue with my 2010 5er. Causing the plywood under the vinyl to pop up like little bumps. Received the same reply from Jayco as you did. Even though, I believe the leak was caused by the factory. I think I have found where it was leaking and repaired it, but going to have my dealer look it over and see if they find anything.

I have not thought about contacting my insurance (I have State Farm also) on the issue. They seem willing to work with you on it?
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #16

I doubt my insurance (State Farm) will approve the claim because I am seeing it now as a maintenance oversight not from a form of structural damage, so with rain in the forecast for tomorrow and weekend I am going to move along with resealing and repairing it myself starting today. It's the right time for taking a sick day or two my, vacation is for the campground LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmitty View Post
Rick, I have had a leak issue with my 2010 5er. Causing the plywood under the vinyl to pop up like little bumps. Received the same reply from Jayco as you did. Even though, I believe the leak was caused by the factory. I think I have found where it was leaking and repaired it, but going to have my dealer look it over and see if they find anything.

I have not thought about contacting my insurance (I have State Farm also) on the issue. They seem willing to work with you on it?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Step View Post
I doubt my insurance (State Farm) will approve the claim because I am seeing it now as a maintenance oversight not from a form of structural damage, so with rain in the forecast for tomorrow and weekend I am going to move along with resealing and repairing it myself starting today. It's the right time for taking a sick day or two my, vacation is for the campground LOL
I called my agent and they questioned if it would be covered, but they did open a claim and will let an adjuster come out and decide for sure. Since it is at the dealer for other repairs, the dealer may be able to talk the adjuster into it
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #18

Click image for larger version

Name:	308.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	6333Click image for larger version

Name:	310.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	6334Click image for larger version

Name:	318.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	6335Click image for larger version

Name:	320.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	6336Click image for larger version

Name:	321.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	6337Click image for larger version

Name:	322.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	6338Click image for larger version

Name:	323.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	6339Well, here is what I found The window was the culprit and the way it looks it was probably leaking shortly after it left the dealership new. The window was resealed and installed today of course. Progress is being made and I was able to have matching paneling ordered thru the dealership which at $60 a sheet x 2 plus shipping, Jayco is proud of it. I did find the end of the rot line on the floor plates so I have a light starting to shine in the tunnel. Does any one know if I can use regular home insulation in the walls and floor. Will keep posting as I progress
Old 02-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I would use the pink rigid insulation. Comes in different thinknesses.
I used it in my basement. Easy to cut and work with. Mildew and water proof.
About $29 for a 4'x8" sheet, depending on thickness. You want the XPS type
I cut the 2: stuff with a fine jig saw.
The thinner stuff can be cut with a utility knife.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

JMHO,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #20

Another problem with Jayco's windows is how Jayco installs windows. The foam gasket, while convenient for installers, does not seal well nor long. My windows were not installed in the center of the cut out hole which results in a very small part - as small as 1/8 inch or even less - of the window flange to seal against the side of the trailer. And Jayco's method to remedy their shoddy work is to tell us that the windows have to be cap sealed with caulk each and every year.

Nobody's tow vehicle comes with instructions to cap seal the windows annually.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote