Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #1

Almost had a bad weekend....

We had a fun weekend camping, but when it came time to pack everything and head home, I found this ..............

I have had this shore power cord for the 2 years I have owned the TT and no issues. The campground that we visited this weekend is the same one I have been to twice this year at the same site. My tester proved the pedestal power had no issues.

This is not a very good picture, but here is the shore power connector on the TT.

My dealer has replaced my power cord and will be replacing the connector on the TT in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, they tell me the cord was the problem. As a former electrician and now a electronics technician, I am wondering if the problem is my TT. My wife and I both agree that we are not camping any more this year until the TT is tested at the dealership. Our appointment is Friday October 16th.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and what did you find to be the problem? Pedestal power? Power Cord? TT?

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The first weak link is the receptacles. a screw or crimp might not have been tight enough. You can check your amp draw with full load on your unit (run lights A/C and microwave). As an electrician you might do a better job than the dealer. Use the standard RV 30 amp blade connectors with a #10 rubber power cord (very expensive) very flexible. Most cords you buy over the counters and used by the RV industry are china made and have quality issues.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #3

That's why these are the best addition for the twist lock cords. Removes the strain that can cause a loose connection. They make it in 50 amp as well.

http://www.amazon.com/ParkPower-1RPC...60_SR86%2C160_
Old 09-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
Site Team

I have seen pictures of those burning up also due to water intrusion.
Another thing to check is that the twist lock is being done correctly.
Both can cause poor connections which generates heat, which melts the components.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurJayco View Post
We had a fun weekend camping, but when it came time to pack everything and head home, I found this ..............

My TT experience is limited, but from work experience that is classic loose connection. Maybe the "springs" on the pedestal that contact the blades on the TT plug were not making good contact??
2011 Shelby GT500 (only thing it pulls is G's)
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited (DD's)
1995 F-150 short wheel base (Sold)
finally03gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:04 PM   #6

Yikes! That would spoil your day! Thanks for posting. I sometimes remember to stop a check the connection, but I will pay more attention!
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:16 AM   #7

Had two twist locks burn up on my boat connector in ten years. Kept connectors clean and die electric grease on them. The trick is to turn the plug hard right when you do the final turn on the ring to ensure plug is tightly seated
Rock
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #8

I concur with the bad physical connection theory. I also think with your experience (and ownership) you are likely to do a better repair - with the benefit that you can do it today (weather permitting).

Last spring I started tripping the supply fuse; it turned out to be a single strand of the TT plug wire was arcing to another terminal. Time and flexing of the cord likely caused my problem.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #9

I had a chance to investigate my issue a little more at home. I have a 30 amp service pedestal at home, so I had my wife go inside the trailer and turn on the A/C and the microwave to check my current draw.
Initial Start up with A/C, lights, microwave and the television, my max current draw came to 22.3 amps using my clamp on meter. After the A/C ran for about 5 minutes, I had a current draw of 17 - 18 amps.
I now know that the current draw is not an issue.
So I took the receptacle off the TT to look at the connection on the back side. The connections appeared to be fine and no shorts or stray strands of wire.

My conclusion is there had to be a loose connection on the shore power cord and the receptacle. I have a new shore power cord from my dealer and I purchased a new Furrion 30 foot 30 amp power cord like this one. I did not purchase it from Camping World, it is the same price on Amazon.

30 Amp RV Cordset with Fault Smart LED - 30' - Lippert Components Inc F30R30-SB.AM - Electrical Cords - Camping World

This is same brand that was the original cord. Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I now carry NO-OX-ID grease in my TT to be applied a few times a year on my cord and receptacle.

http://www.sanchem.com/docs/NO-OX-ID...al%20Grade.pdf

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote