Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #1

Aluminum structure

I know that Jayco stopped making its all aluminum structure in 2003 or 2004. I'm interested in buying an older Jayco and prefer the all aluminum structure. Does anybody know what models are all aluminum structure? Is there something in the model number that would indicate it? Did all models have the aluminum structure?
The "aluminum structure" I'm referring to is aluminum studs on all 6 sides, 16" on center. I have searched everything I can on the internet without any luck. I posted the same inquiry on RV.net and someone suggested this site so here I am
Thanks for any info you can offer
Ken
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #2

I wasn't aware of aluminum structured floor and ceiling options.

Also, keep in mind that even with aluminum wall studs, they are still supporting a wooden roof deck and are still being supported by a wooden floor. If you get a leak, the roof will still rot and the water will drain down to the wood floor and rot.

Unless the entire camper is composite and impervious to water, I don't see a benefit to aluminum studs. Seems almost like a gimmick to me. There might be some nominal features, but I don't think its the "solution" to a potential roof leak.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #3

Value of aluminum studs

With aluminum studs I can mount just about anything I want on a wall...T.V., coat rack, etc. With aluminum studs, all the wiring is in the walls like normal house wiring instead of on the walls, in the cabinets, under the cabinets, etc. All the 110vac plugins, switches, lights are all mounted on the outside walls where they belong. Delamination is less of a threat with aluminum studs. Aluminum studs can get wet and will not rot.
Jayco used to always show a picture of a full six-sided aluminum frame structure on their sales brochures. If my memory is correct, the floor joists were aluminum 16" on center, the roof trusses were aluminum 16" on center.
There are only a few Rv manufacturers that built them using that technology...Cedar Creek, Carriage, Alumascape, Crossroads, Sunnybrook, Jayco and possibly a few others.
I visited most of the factories and watched the assembly and was very impressed. Seems like the retail market is also impressed because these brands always seem to hold their prices better than the others.
So that is why I'm interested in trying to find out which units were full aluminum structure. I prefer that structure as compared to laminated walls and of course that is my personal preference. So if anybody can help out with the required info (Which Jayco units have a full aluminum structure) I would appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #4

The Jayco website has brochures going back to 2003.
Brochures | Jayco, Inc.

I looked through a few of the 2003-04 types and don't see any with "all aluminum" construction. The models with composite walls all seem to use aluminum framing and those with aluminum siding all seem to use wood frames.

While my J-feather has aluminum framing, I really don't see any long term advantages over wood. You need to fix leaks quickly no mater what the underlying structure is and dry wood does not rot. We had a 25 year old Winnebago with wood framing that was in great shape when we sold it to buy our Jayfeather.

Thin walled tubing is not easy to weld. Aluminum gets much of its strength from heat treatment and the heat from welding greatly reduces the strength in the areas of the welds. My experience with aluminum weldments is that if one weld fails, a lot of the welds will fail soon after. Fortunately, the welds would likely fail very soon and the trailer would still be under warranty. I am not at all worried about our aluminum framing.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #5

Aluminum

Thanks for your reply. I realize that this is a lot like discussing religion or politics or truck preference. I had a Jayco 2002 designer and wanted to upgrade in 2004 and discovered that Jayco no longer made the all aluminum structure.
I am also well aware there are 1,000s of really nice RVs out there with wood frames or laminated sides. I also believe Jayco is at the top with their interior designs.
I have always had the aluminum structure with multiple other manufacturers and for my own reasons that is what I would like to stay with.
My post certainly was not to start debate on the value of aluminum but I appreciate hearing from others and their opinions.
What I really would like is to hear from any pre-2003 Jayco owners that have the aluminum structure and what specific model they have.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #6

Aluminum frame

I recently purchased a 1996 jayco eagle sl. I bought it as a project. It has aluminum framing in all the walls and roof but not the floor. The roof had been leaking for who knows how long leaving the roof deck and floor framing completely rotted. The biggest advantage of the aluminum frame is the walls and roof framing were still solid. I was able to replace the entire floor including framing and strip the interior while leaving the the exterior siding mostly intact. Had the walls and roof framing been wood I would have had to completely tear down the entire camper and it probably wouldn't have been worth it
Jayco1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #7

I think your looking for a unit made in the mid 90's. STARCRAFT also had similar units that were called Alum A Star which was after JAYCO bought STARCRAFT in 92 As was mentioned it did not include the floor joist.

EAGLE SL and the DESIGNER are probably the lines.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #8

Not sure how it's easier to mount anything on an aluminum framed wall, that is a 1" wide thin walled tubing that makes up the wall frame. I think it would be harder to find that narrow aluminum tube than the 2" by 2" stud that makes up the Jay Flight line of trailers. Also, I would think a screw would bite and hold better in a piece of wood than a crew would in an aluminum tube.

I have a new 2017 Jay Flight, and I haven't found any wires running on the walls, under cabinets, and in the cabinets.

And while the wood studs can rot if they get wet and stay wet, the aluminum siding can't delaminate, while the fiberglass sides on the aluminum framed trailers can delaminate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliopeguy View Post
With aluminum studs I can mount just about anything I want on a wall...T.V., coat rack, etc. With aluminum studs, all the wiring is in the walls like normal house wiring instead of on the walls, in the cabinets, under the cabinets, etc. All the 110vac plugins, switches, lights are all mounted on the outside walls where they belong. Delamination is less of a threat with aluminum studs. Aluminum studs can get wet and will not rot.
Jayco used to always show a picture of a full six-sided aluminum frame structure on their sales brochures. If my memory is correct, the floor joists were aluminum 16" on center, the roof trusses were aluminum 16" on center.
There are only a few Rv manufacturers that built them using that technology...Cedar Creek, Carriage, Alumascape, Crossroads, Sunnybrook, Jayco and possibly a few others.
I visited most of the factories and watched the assembly and was very impressed. Seems like the retail market is also impressed because these brands always seem to hold their prices better than the others.
So that is why I'm interested in trying to find out which units were full aluminum structure. I prefer that structure as compared to laminated walls and of course that is my personal preference. So if anybody can help out with the required info (Which Jayco units have a full aluminum structure) I would appreciate it.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
And while the wood studs can rot if they get wet and stay wet, the aluminum siding can't delaminate, while the fiberglass sides on the aluminum framed trailers can delaminate.
We had a STARCRAFT ALUM A STAR, it had aluminum sides, not fiberglass, fastened to the aluminum studs. They used a special staple for both the paneling and aluminum siding.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #10

Here's the brochure. Only walls and roof. You'll need drop box to open.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p870m01rmx...le_SL.pdf?dl=0
Old 07-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #11

Jayco1996 - do have any pictures of doing the floor replacement? I just started mine tonight because of a roof leak. I think there was a pipe leak as well that was not revealed to me.
Who make floor plate/frame out of wood! This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Thanks!

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:31 AM   #12

Many, many manufacturers use wood floors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
Jayco1996 - do have any pictures of doing the floor replacement? I just started mine tonight because of a roof leak. I think there was a pipe leak as well that was not revealed to me.
Who make floor plate/frame out of wood! This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Thanks!

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:05 AM   #13

The flooring I can see but the frame of the floor being wood is a crazy practice especially when the rest of the frame is aluminum. Replacing a floor would be so easy if it had an aluminum frame.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote