Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #1

Am I asking for to much?

We took our trailer to the dealer in Menifee Ca. for the same water leak 3 times in a 3 week period before the leak was fixed correctly. We sent a letter 4 weeks ago to the owner of the dealership requesting that they reimburse us $90 for the extra diesel fuel used and never heard back from him. I guess once they get your $$$$ they don't care anymore.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Under the circumstances I would have asked for something as well..., maybe a 20% discount from their parts department for the next year!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #3

Ernie, I had the same frustration with them regarding our epic "squeeling brakes" issue. After three visits, I got smart realizing that there are just some things an rv tech doesn't get right. Realizing brakes are one of them, I contacted Jayco, who put me in touch with Dexter, who put me in touch with a local shop.... one time with the brake guy and the job was done perfectly!

I can give the old service manager there credit for one thing though; he worked with Jayco to get us the upgraded ladder for free once the oem failed twice. Not sure how knowlegable the new service manager is. We're still concerned about the a/c gurgling, so I plan to contact Jayco to refer me to a local shop with a/c expertise. Unless we change our camping plans to include a trip down to Menifee, from this point on whatever warranty issue we have that comes up until it expires this September, I plan to just ask Jayco to refer us to a local shop. I'm pretty sure we will get better service that way also
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #4

At least they got it fixed. We had a slide issue and World Wide RV in Arizona just didn't have anyone that was up to the task. The tech finally told me that it was as good as it was going to get. On our way home we stopped in at Bish's RV in Idaho Falls. The tech there had both our big slides adjusted properly in just over an hour. Any more work or extras purchased for our trailer will be at Bish's RV. Like the slide in rack for the rear of the trailer. WW said it wouldn't work because there wasn't enough room. Lots of people seem to have one on the same model as ours. Some dealers are a lot better than others.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
At least they got it fixed. We had a slide issue and World Wide RV in Arizona just didn't have anyone that was up to the task. The tech finally told me that it was as good as it was going to get. On our way home we stopped in at Bish's RV in Idaho Falls. The tech there had both our big slides adjusted properly in just over an hour. Any more work or extras purchased for our trailer will be at Bish's RV. Like the slide in rack for the rear of the trailer. WW said it wouldn't work because there wasn't enough room. Lots of people seem to have one on the same model as ours. Some dealers are a lot better than others.
If it was fixed right the first time I wouldn't be out $90 for fuel.
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
Old 07-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Site Team

I don`t think you`re asking too much, work should be done right the first time, but I doubt the dealer will do it. But ya never know its worth a try.......
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #7

I personally do not feel you should be out the extra $90 for go juice nor should you be out your time, especially since the problem was caused by their incompetence. Collecting would be another matter. You could try filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Make sure you thoroughly document why you feel that incompetence was the reason for the repeated trips to get it fixed.

If that fails (and my guess is it will), small claims court would be your next recourse. Your chances here would be slightly better.

Before doing anything, keep in mind that the three closest Jayco dealers to Yucaipa are the Richardson's in Menifee, Riverside, and Temecula and you would probably still have to deal with one of them no matter the outcome. Relations between you and Richardson's will probably be hostile to you in the future, win or lose (and losing is more likely). Do you have the temperment to deal with that? A BBB complaint is fairly painless and, in this case, should involve little or no physical involvement. A small claims court will require physical involvement and will eventually require facing one of Richardson's reps in court. Personally, I would go as far as filing the BBB complaint (small claims court problably wouldn't be cost effective unless CA allows compensation for court related filing, transportation, etc. expenses) and have done so in the past. Not everyone has the temperment (no shame in that) to deal with the hostility that will result from a formal complaint (and, believe me, it will be there, no matter how they sugar coat it). If it would create too much heartburn for you, then it might be better to just write it off. It comes down to what would give you the most heartburn: fighting it or letting it go.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #8

What bothers me the most is the owner couldn't take the time to answer my letter (a simple yes or no). He took the time to introduce himself when we bought the traier.
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
Old 07-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounder View Post
If it was fixed right the first time I wouldn't be out $90 for fuel.

Ernie, our trip to Bish's RV was just over 100 miles one way out of our way. We had to drive North 100 miles and then back South 100 miles to get where we were going. Right at $100. The only time World Wide RV will ever hear from me is when I mention their incompetence on the forums I go to. I have already advised another person in the Phoenix area to look elsewhere. It may be petty but the thought that they will not make a sale to that person makes me feel good.:hihi: I am out about $100 and they lost several thousand.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Ernie, our trip to Bish's RV was just over 100 miles one way out of our way. We had to drive North 100 miles and then back South 100 miles to get where we were going. Right at $100. The only time World Wide RV will ever hear from me is when I mention their incompetence on the forums I go to. I have already advised another person in the Phoenix area to look elsewhere. It may be petty but the thought that they will not make a sale to that person makes me feel good.:hihi: I am out about $100 and they lost several thousand.
And I appreciate the heads up.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #11

Jeannie, perhaps I have scored again.

Ernie, paying for your fuel or part of it would be the right thing for them to do. I would not hold my breath untill they develop a conscience and do it.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:56 AM   #12

Small claims? Pretty weak case. Claim for what? You could have lived across the street or a thousand miles away. You chose the dealer; it's not his doing that you don't live down the block. Getting a judgment for two failures plus one success isn't likely. Jumping into a lawsuit at every perceived grievance or inconvenience costs this country billions every year. This is not to stick up for the dealer. Word of mouth is great advertising if positive - and terrible if negative. Don't mean to scold, but I spent almost fifty years in the lawsuit business, and if I only got paid for the worthwhile ones, my family would have lived under a bridge!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk+ View Post
Small claims? Pretty weak case. Claim for what? You could have lived across the street or a thousand miles away. You chose the dealer; it's not his doing that you don't live down the block. Getting a judgment for two failures plus one success isn't likely. Jumping into a lawsuit at every perceived grievance or inconvenience costs this country billions every year. This is not to stick up for the dealer. Word of mouth is great advertising if positive - and terrible if negative. Don't mean to scold, but I spent almost fifty years in the lawsuit business, and if I only got paid for the worthwhile ones, my family would have lived under a bridge!
I agree about small claims in that it's not likely to be cost effective, depending on CA law, and said so in my post. However, I disagree that the OP shouldn't be intitled to recovering expenses for the dealer's incompetence. If the dealer had known what they were doing, the repair would have been done correctly the first time, not the third time, and the OP would not have been out the additional transportation expenses (fuel, time, wear and tear on the RV, etc.). Since Jayco has a limited number of dealers and normally will not honor warranties at any dealer closer than their own, the OP didn't really have any choice but to drive so far for a warranty repair. Jayco has also been known to refuse to sell parts to non-Jayco repair facilities for non-warranty work.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #14

I actually expressed my displeasure to the dealer that Ernie and I bought from. I can tell you, he has no interest in providing any kind of discount to help out if his tech's don't accomplish the warranty task the first time (wasn't aware that was an issue when I recommended dealer to Ernie as up til then we were being accomodated....). We didn't push it but chalked it up to a nice week-two week trip out of going down to dealer (we have a Thousand Trails campground close to there that is pretty nice) each of the three times we had to go down there. But like I mentioned above, contacting Jayco to get a "local" shop to do warranty work is far less expensive and often provides an expert rather than a tech
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk+ View Post

Thanks for all the advice. But I don't want to sue anyboby. I guess I will chock up the $90 as a lesson learned & will never recommend the dealer to anybody again. And yes I chose the dealership but I shouldn't have to go back 3 times for the same repair no matter how close or far away the dealer is.
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
Old 07-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I agree about small claims in that it's not likely to be cost effective, depending on CA law, and said so in my post. However, I disagree that the OP shouldn't be intitled to recovering expenses for the dealer's incompetence. If the dealer had known what they were doing, the repair would have been done correctly the first time, not the third time, and the OP would not have been out the additional transportation expenses (fuel, time, wear and tear on the RV, etc.). Since Jayco has a limited number of dealers and normally will not honor warranties at any dealer closer than their own, the OP didn't really have any choice but to drive so far for a warranty repair. Jayco has also been known to refuse to sell parts to non-Jayco repair facilities for non-warranty work.
Thanks Jeannie well said.
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
Old 07-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #17

I'd feel the same as you, Bounder. But the reality is that, well, that's tough. Was a time I'd have gone in and done a rant at the dealership, but life's way, way too short. And in case I come across as soft on the dealer, it occurs to me that if Michael Vick had pitted lawyers against auto/RV/boat dealers, he'd have become a national hero instead of a rat.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounder View Post
Thanks Jeannie well said.
I still recommend filing a complaint with the BBB. Even if there is no resolution, it will go against the dealers BBB rating, showing up as an unresolved complaint (which is an easy way to let people know the dealer is less than stellar). Make absolutely sure you stay in touch with the BBB during the entire process because the dealer will try to claim resolution.