Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #1

Am I being to overly cautious?

I'm a newbie and this is my first experience and I'm jumping in with both feet to be a full timer in an RV Park....

I am about to move my 2010 Jayco into my RV spot in Park and the management seems to think that me buying a Low voltage booster and a Progressive EMS-HW30 surge protector was not what the "common" person does.....

To me, it just seems like common sense to protect your appliances and seems most blogs and sites that I've visited people are using these products.... Am I throwing money away or am I doing what most "common" people do by protecting their stuff?

Thoughts?
rebecca45888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #2

Get the EMS, for sure.

'The common person' gets burned every year for not investing in this 'must have' item.

If anyone called me a 'commoner' I'd probably punch them in the neck.

Unless the 'management' is willing to pay for any / all electrical related repairs during your stay, it's none of his 'bees wax' anyway.

I have a certain neighbor that's always 'in my grill' telling me what I need and don't need, across various topics said neighbor knows almost nothing about. So annoying.

It's your call, but I've never heard of someone on this forum suggesting a quality EMS is ever a bad investment... guaranteed for life too.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #3

I think both of those electrical tools are "must haves". As for the autoformer, I've been in too many parks in mid summer where too many ACs drew the voltage down to unacceptable levels. I've been using one for a couple of years now and wouldn't be without it.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca45888 View Post
I'm a newbie and this is my first experience and I'm jumping in with both feet to be a full timer in an RV Park....

I am about to move my 2010 Jayco into my RV spot in Park and the management seems to think that me buying a Low voltage booster and a Progressive EMS-HW30 surge protector was not what the "common" person does.....

To me, it just seems like common sense to protect your appliances and seems most blogs and sites that I've visited people are using these products.... Am I throwing money away or am I doing what most "common" people do by protecting their stuff?

Thoughts?
You are definitely doing the right thing. Some campgrounds can have problems with their electric, especially in the hot summer when everyone is running every AC they have. You don't want to have problems with your appliances or rv wiring.............
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
Site Team

That was a strange statement for them to make, lol.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
Site Team

Welcome to the forum from western NY! I've been called a lot of things, but NEVER common. I won't hook up without our EMS. Happy Full Timing!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #7

The EMS is a must have to protect your investment from all sorts of potential electrical problems. They may have good power, they may have folks who have replaced stuff thinking was a product failure when it was more likely power issues. You'll soon know.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #8
Site Team

The EMS is a no brainer IMO and the cg should have no objection to you having or not having one.

I have been in parks that forbid Autoformers and I think that is their right to make any rules they want.

If you are stuck on one then you may have to find another park.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #9

Get both, I just had a camp ground host tell me they aren't needed. Famous last words
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote