Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #1

Another Black Tank Question

OK just looking for the best combo to keep the black tank as clean as possible. I just installed a Tornado and want to make sure what i put in is safe. I have been using Campa-Chem by Thetford ( http://www.thetford.com/Home/Product...5/Default.aspx ) and have been reading to alsp put in Calgon. I also read you can add laundry detergent. I want to make sure if i add all these the Campa-Chem will work correctly in breaking it all down and not make any toxic fumes that may leak in the TT and poison my family and myself. Any types of detergents (brands/chemicals) to avoid? Also does anyone know how long the Campa-Chem will last in the tank while in storage?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #2

I don't put any of that junk in my black tank. Just make sure to always have plenty of water in the tank and flush out after every dump. Then put more water in the tank. Lots of water is the key.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #3

You want to avoid strong chemicals like bleach. Bleach mixed with toilet bowl cleaner or vinegar will produce chlorine gas. A number of years ago a RV dealer in Oregon told me that they would do that to clean out the tanks to get the sensors working again on black holding tanks. I think it is not something I would do.

There seems to be a lot of people using a enzyme product. TsT Orange has been mentioned here and something I will give a try next. You need to rince out your tank really well prior to use or it won't be effective. Especially if you were using the blue goo from Thetford. Thousand Trails is giving away trial sizes this summer to it's patrons. It seemed to work pretty good as far as I was concerned. I will be adding a tank rinser when I get the chance. Possibly one on the grey tank as well. I think if you keep water in your tank so it can slosh around while driving like the above poster mentioned and let the enzymes do there things you should not have a problem. I rince my tanks out and only dump the black tank when it is full so the pressure helps clean the tank out. Good luck
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #4

So far, I've been using el cheapo laundry detergent. I mix a bit in with a jug full of water and give the toilet a snort after each use. I flush first, then pour in a bit of the mix and let it sit. I guzzle a bit of straight stuff in before I head back home. It gets a good slopping on the road home! I just keep two or three mixed jugs in the bathtub.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #5

I think your going to find tons of different methods to use. For me personally, I recently switched to a natural enzyme and much to my inital hesitation, followed the advise directly from the founder of the company. Since I leave my unit permantantly parked, the only flush out I get is with my on board rince system. As crazy as this sounds, I have tried the following method since February of this year and thus far couldn't be happier with the outcome. I put 4oz of enzyme in my black tank, use it the entire time were there, and do not dump before we leave. On our next trip, the first thing I do is dump my 1-2 week old black water, flush the system for maybe a minute, close the value and add and little water and 4 more oz of enzyme. Thus far I have not had any problems with odor, in fact, I've yet to have a trace of odor even after leaving our stew to brew for up to 2 weeks in 100* weather.
Prior to this, I had used Thetford packets for the past 15 or so yearswithout problems, however, per application, the enzyme is a little cheaper.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #6

jrmay25-- What is the name of the additive you use? Larry
Old 07-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think two common elements used by most RV'rs is adequate water and drain the tank once it's full (don't leave the valve open).

When I do use chemicals, I now use the ones without formaldehyde http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...drop-ins-/9961 (many CG's don't allow it's use). Some of the newer chemicals have lubrication properties that are good for the tank and and valve seals to. If you use the Calgon product (I do) for slicking things up, use the water softener, not the fabric softener. Also, using single ply TP will break down faster as well.
Here are a couple of other forum threads on the subject that may be helpful:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=2539&page=6

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3767

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACSKINS View Post
OK just looking for the best combo to keep the black tank as clean as possible. I just installed a Tornado and want to make sure what i put in is safe. I have been using Campa-Chem by Thetford ( http://www.thetford.com/Home/Product...5/Default.aspx ) and have been reading to alsp put in Calgon. I also read you can add laundry detergent. I want to make sure if i add all these the Campa-Chem will work correctly in breaking it all down and not make any toxic fumes that may leak in the TT and poison my family and myself. Any types of detergents (brands/chemicals) to avoid? Also does anyone know how long the Campa-Chem will last in the tank while in storage?
Personally I would avoid that brand as it looks like it contains formaldehyde. Many campgrounds now request you not use their septic system if you have that in your holding tank... it is toxic and kills the good bacteria that YOUR system and other septic systems need to digest the waste.... Also never use laundry detergent till you are doing a tank cleaning... it also is hard on the digestive system of your tank.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #9

It's called Kronen. What initially attracted me to it was the fact it was developed and is made in St. Louis.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Personally I would avoid that brand as it looks like it contains formaldehyde. Many campgrounds now request you not use their septic system if you have that in your holding tank... it is toxic and kills the good bacteria that YOUR system and other septic systems need to digest the waste.... Also never use laundry detergent till you are doing a tank cleaning... it also is hard on the digestive system of your tank.

I double checked and the one i am using is the "natural" formaldehyde free.