Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2016, 09:06 PM   #1

Another EZ Pass question

I'll be headed to New Hampshire from Washington State soon. I'll be taking the northern route and will no doubt be on some of the toll Turnpikes. Is it worthwhile for me get an EZ Pass and if so, from which state?

This will just be a one time trip and it's doubtful I'll be using the pass again after the trip. It doesn't look like any states west of Illinois uses this system.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #2

I would say yes. If your route is I-90 through IL, IN, OH, PA, NY, MA, etc., a pass would be very helpful. Much of that route are toll roads. In many states a pass gives you a small discount on the toll as compared to the cash rate. Plus the convenience of zipping through a Pass lane which usually have less (or no) backups. Some places (I-90 in IL and I-95 in NH to name two) have "Open Road Tolling" where you blow through certain lanes at highway speed, glancing over at the poor souls backed up in the cash lanes!

I have had an I-Pass from Illinois for many years. They have no monthly fee but you do pay a deposit for the transponder itself. You do not have to live there to obtain a pass, I live in Ohio. I have used my I-Pass in many states here in the east and have never had a problem having it accepted. I put it in the motorhome for traveling, move it to the toad when we get to a destination if any additional toll road travel is expected. Then back in the MH cab when we leave for home.

You set up an online account that the pass debits as you travel. I set mine up to tap my checking account when the balance gets to a certain point. I can also add funds manually prior to a trip to cover my anticipated tolls.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:34 PM   #3

I forgot to mention there is no contract, you can close your account and mail the pass back and have your deposit returned.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #4

Thanks Rob! I'm all about convenience and not having to wait in a toll line. I'll take a look at the Illinois EZ Pass web site.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:15 PM   #5

Wow, I was just researching the same thing today! We are traveling from WI out east and will be traveling through toll states almost all the way. Trying to figure out how the toll people know what to charge depending if I am towing the TT or not? Do I need two transponders one if I am towing and one if I am not?

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:28 PM   #6

Hi all. We live in Illinois and the iPass is easy to use. Just stick it on your windshield. When you go through the open road tolling it takes your picture and sees the trailer and then charges accordingly. You don't have to tell them, and the iPass rate is 1/2 of the cash fee so you save a lot. Good luck and have fun on your trips.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #7

You only need one transponder in your tow vehicle. The toll booths (or Open Road Tolling where present) count your axles as you pass and "dings" your account the appropriate amount. And if you are tall (as motorhomes and trailers generally are) many states will also charge you at a higher rate than if you were just passing through in your car or pickup.

And some of the states offer a discount on the toll when you are using a pass, Illinois being one for sure. And as previously stated, generally there is little or no wait at the Pass lanes and if the state has Open Road Tolling no wait at all, you cruise through at highway speed. Illinois has Open Road Tolling, some parts of Pennsylvania on I-76, and New Hampshire on I-95.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
I'll be headed to New Hampshire from Washington State soon. I'll be taking the northern route and will no doubt be on some of the toll Turnpikes. Is it worthwhile for me get an EZ Pass and if so, from which state?

This will just be a one time trip and it's doubtful I'll be using the pass again after the trip. It doesn't look like any states west of Illinois uses this system.
In your case it may not be worth it, esp. for a one-time use. But here's a map of the E-ZPass system:

https://www.paturnpike.com/toll/where_to_use_it.aspx

I literally just bought one - the transponder is right in front of me on my desk as I type this. You can buy one transponder and use it in any of your vehicles. The E-Z Pass system is supposed to automatically charge you the correct toll for your rig, usually based on number of axles, up to a certain gvw. It knows whether you're towing or not.

Most of our travel is in state covered by E-ZPass, so it was pretty much a no-brainer. You get discounts for using E-ZPass - not huge, but it adds up.

When I signed up, I registered the license plates of all of my vehicles, including the TT, as the system also can charge you based on your license plate if it fails to read your transponder for some reason. I figured the TV's plate would be almost impossible to read when I'm towing, so I included the TT's plate number.

Advantages: You don't have to have cash handy for tolls, and don't have to wait in line for the toll booths.

As I understand it, basically it's a pre-deposit system. E-ZPass will automatically access your credit card (for example) and replenish the $$$ in your account when the balance dips below a predetermined amount.

Safe travels, and I hope this helps!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:30 AM   #9

I would definitely recommend. We have the MA E-ZPass and it's been fantastic, and I also thing we've used it in just about every state that accepts it. Don't know if this is unique to MA or not, but I was told by E-ZPass MA that the transponder is tied to a specific vehicle/combination and they don't count axles. I therefore have two transponders, one for the TV alone, the second for the TV/TT combo - just have to remember to switch them out between trips
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
I would definitely recommend. We have the MA E-ZPass and it's been fantastic, and I also thing we've used it in just about every state that accepts it. Don't know if this is unique to MA or not, but I was told by E-ZPass MA that the transponder is tied to a specific vehicle/combination and they don't count axles. I therefore have two transponders, one for the TV alone, the second for the TV/TT combo - just have to remember to switch them out between trips
That's why I registered all of my vehicles with the PA E-ZPass. As I understand it, the system *should* see my plate number and charge the correct toll. They contacted me for weight & axle count on my TT before sending me the transponder; my car, truck (TV) and TT are all registered to the transponder. Perhaps I should call them to verify that my understanding is correct!!!

Old 03-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #11

I live in NY and have 2 separate transponders. One is for my tow vehicle only when not pulling the trailer. The other is for the vehicle and TT combined. They are both registered to the same account. Thankfully, they are color-coded to avoid confusion. My TT transponder is blue and the standard one is white. I've had both for a long time now (since 2009), so they may use different methods for new enrollments.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:05 AM   #12

Have had a PA EZ Pass for many years. At first we had only 1 and traded between Vehicles. Too much hassle, ordered a second one. I now have used the one in the TV in all of the states listed. Both without and with the TT. The system has never failed to pick the correct combo. (although I had always hoped it would ). I only have the TV listed and both types (high speed pass thru & traditional tollbooth w EZPass) have worked.
If i were in you shoes, I would order one. You may not get full discounts in every state as some want you to use theirs. i.e. PA gives a higher discount when using 'their' EZPass and use on the PA Turnpike. You will still get a discount but not as much. As mentioned it is tied to your Credit Card so no worry about having enough cash on hand.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #13

Here's a response from PA E-ZPass on the question about towing a travel trailer:

Quote:
You can add a trailer to your vehicle. The system will weigh the vehicle and count the number of axles to charge accordingly. Please be sure to register the trailer to your account before traveling. Thank you.
That would seem to be a fairly definitive answer. Only one transponder should be needed, as long as the TT is also registered to your E-ZPass account.

Now for testing it, which I won't be doing until an April trip to NJ in the family car, and our TV/TT rig going to Maine in June...

Roger

Roger

Old 03-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #14

Lots of good responses. Thanks for the input! I'll be getting the pass, I just have to figure out which state offers the better deal. So far I'm leaning toward purchasing through Illinois but I need to look at the other states also.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #15

I heard from a very trusted source that there is a bug in the MA EZPaaS system where if you register every trailer license plate you have against your main transponder account, the system will only charge you for two axles. Works in MA, NH, and ME.

Again, so I heard...I would never do this myself because it's wrong to cheat the state out of $0.50

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
I heard from a very trusted source that there is a bug in the MA EZPaaS system where if you register every trailer license plate you have against your main transponder account, the system will only charge you for two axles. Works in MA, NH, and ME.

Again, so I heard...I would never do this myself because it's wrong to cheat the state out of $0.50
Wouldn't that be interesting?

Old 03-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #17

Very interesting indeed. I'd say more but for all I know a representative from EZPass owns a Jayco and is on this forum ahahahaha

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
Very interesting indeed. I'd say more but for all I know a representative from EZPass owns a Jayco and is on this forum ahahahaha
Ought to be interesting, Tom. Only thing I know for sure is that I'll be using my new E-ZPass in PA, NJ, NY, DE, NH and ME over the next couple of months. Guess I'll find out.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:31 AM   #19

Investigating this I would NOT get an EZ Pass.
Mine, from Maine, will work with a TT
But when we get to Mass, we find that the TT has to be on our account and we must use the multimodal lanes ( cash and Ezpass).

So where did the time efficiency go?

As usual Mass ( an Ez Pass latecomer.. they continued to use their own Fast Pass for years) is not keeping up.

All EZ Pass states do NOT operate the same. I won't check out the others because Mass is a roadblock for me.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #20

Kim & Tom,
Thanks for the info. I have not had issues in the past with MA & EZPass but I prefer to stay out of that State for multiple reasons. Now I have another reason.
Guess I'll be heading to Maine in Sept by way of NY, VT, & NH
My Transponder has been in 3 different TV since 2000. I have hauled Popups, Cargo Trailers, a Boat (w/single Axle), and now 2 larger TTs. I have headed West to Colorado 2 times (both times on Rt.80) and multiple trips to MD,VA, NC, SC & FL. Also Trips north. EZPass always worked with & without a trailer. I just picked up a new FW and used the PA turnpike twice and no issues. I guess I'm in technical violation by not notifying the state of every change, BUT each State has always gotten their correct toll.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote