Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #1

Any CB Radio Users Out There?

My son-in-law drives long haul truck for a living and he's been pushing me to get a CB radio since he knows we like to travel. Do any of you have a CB in your TV and what do you use it for? Traffic congestion? Speed traps?

What guidance could you give a novice looking to purchase a unit?

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #2

I think getting one is a great idea. That way you can hear all the truck drivers cussing the rv that's in there way.
Farmer Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #3

I've use one when we go on our summer holidays. Aside from the banter, which is interesting, you can learn a lot about the traffic conditions just listening to the truckers. A trucker friend highly recommends them and I agree. Did you see the hand held ones you can get.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #4

I have one mounted in my truck we used to use for towing our fiver. Still trying to figure out how to move it to my Jayco super c. We travel all over the east coast and having it has saved us at several traffic problems over the years. Has also helped us located good spots to get diesel. We went to an independent CB shop and got one that was tuned a little so it had some more range to it. The handhelds I had used where pretty weak.
CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
I've use one when we go on our summer holidays. Aside from the banter, which is interesting, you can learn a lot about the traffic conditions just listening to the truckers. A trucker friend highly recommends them and I agree. Did you see the hand held ones you can get.
Funny you ask... I was looking at these two:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Old 05-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTed View Post
I have one mounted in my truck we used to use for towing our fiver. Still trying to figure out how to move it to my Jayco super c. We travel all over the east coast and having it has saved us at several traffic problems over the years. Has also helped us located good spots to get diesel. We went to an independent CB shop and got one that was tuned a little so it had some more range to it. The handhelds I had used where pretty weak.
Thanks for the comment on the hand held. That's a factor. Maybe there's a CB shop in my area... I'll have to check.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #7

I use one mainly while camping with friends so we can keep in touch while driving. We don't use channel 19 for this. Occasionally switch over to channel 19 when traffic slows down to find out what the hang up is.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post

What guidance could you give a novice looking to purchase a unit?
Buy a mid-priced one with a magnetic antenna you can install and take out of your vehicle and never leave it on Channel 19 with kids in the car. Good for traffic congestion but you won't have to worry about speeding pulling your RV.....about the only time I use mine anymore is when "convoying" with a friend or family and we go to a quiet channel, like 23 just so we can visit, keep up with one another, etc. Back in the 70's CB's were fun (and a way to avoid the Highway Patrol when the speed limit was DOUBLE NICKEL) but today you hear a lot of 4-5-6 letter words on the radio that you wouldn't normally hear and you sure don't want to be spending your entire trip explaining what the words meant to the kids. I heard Channel 14 was the RV channel however never heard or talked to anyone on that channel so far.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #9

Good advice, Dan. Especially with the grand kids in tow.

Too bad folks can't express themselves without using profanity. Hey I sailed the seas too and when I did, I talked like a sailor but the older I get, the more I try to keep it in check. I definitely don't need to listen to that for entertainment!

Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #10

I used to be highly into CB's and still have an old Johnson SSB unit sitting on a shelf in the garage. Consider a walkie talkie type of radio if you don't want to put an antenna on your truck and prefer the portability. For a mobil unit, a rule that used to apply is that it was far better to have an expensive antenna and inexpensive CB than an expensive CB and inexpensive antenna. Basically don't go cheap on the antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
I heard Channel 14 was the RV channel however never heard or talked to anyone on that channel so far.
The "old" walkie talkies, the toy type, used to all be set to channel 14. Not that that makes any difference now but channel 9 was emergency, 14 walkie talkie and 19 the trucker channel.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #11

Have had a mobile cb in the daily driver since the 70's- Had a base station with "beam" antennae when I had a house- Have been thankful for having "ears" more than once- The language can be embarrassing from time to time- Just remember you turned it on and can turn it off- "Friendships" are gained and lost when you converse with the same group on the daily commute- The potluck get togethers were great- I would not leave home without my "ears"- We have been "rescued" by other CBers when the cell phone failed us- We have also been the "good samaritan" on occasion- BOTTOM LINE is the cb can do good or bad- It's up to you- JMHO- DD
Old 05-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #12

Just recently put a small Uniden CB in my truck. Learned everything I needed to know at www.rightchannelradios.com. They have relatively good educational information on their website. Also bought the radio and antenna there. Got good service from them and the CB is working fine.
Realval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #13

Nylyon, thanks for the info. Any particular antenna you would recommend?

Good comments, Donnie

Thanks, Realval. I will check that website out. Welcome to the JOF. Where you from? You can stop over to the New Members Forum and say howdy if you like.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #14

I really like the link that Realval put in. The K40 is the only antenna that is familiar to me and it seems like it's a good solid choice and at 58" it will help with having an RV behind you.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #15

Thanks Quahog. Just joined the forum from East TN. Good group here. Will go over to the New Members Forum and post. My antenna is a Wilson, Little Wil magnetic mount. Have it mounted on top of my truck cab for max reception. It works great with my Uniden 520 XL radio.
2011 Toyota Tacoma, V-6
Realval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #16

That 520XL is one of the ones I was looking at. Looks like a good value. Did you buy one of their packages?

Good to see your signature too. Before you do select a trailer, make sure you understand tow limits and all that. It will make your shopping easier and avoid surprises after the sale. The towing forum is a good place to start.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #17

The best combo I've ever had was a K-40 mag mount antenna and a Cobra 25LTD. I have the same exact Uniden radio on the previous page but so far havent mounted it yet inside my TV. Handhelds are nice if your just looking for very localized chat (traffic/speed trap updates etc) and you can throw it in the glovebox when not in use.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #18

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
I still have the Cobra 29 that I used when I worked as a truck driver. I had it tuned and peaked out back then so it talks real good. I set it up on a small plastic platform with the loop side of a couple of Velcro strips and it sits on the tranny hump when we are on our trips. The rest of the time it sits in the garage, don't want these delinquents around here to have an excuse for breaking into my truck. Using a K40 antenna with it.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #19

Reported by DG

Obsolete. Legal CB are limited to 4w power ouput, which gets out 4 miles as a general rule - even if properly clipped and peaked. Add a linear amp (likely illegal) and the world will hear you, but youll only hear others with similar rigs. AUDIO!!!!. Seriously, CB on the road is as useful as telegraph or smoke signals. Cute. Kitch. Worthless unless you wantvto learn new cuss words.
RustyFairmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #20

Rusty, not sure I feel as strongly but in principle I agree. The CB has had it's day. Today, use a cell.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote