Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #1

Any kayakers that go RVing?

I'm an avid kayaker and fairly new to the RV scene (Spring of 2016)
I don't see too many RV's that go kayaking and wondering if there are any more out there?

I use the Apex Universal Truck Rack (looks like a ladder rack but with many holes to secure straps) to put my boats on top of my truck while I RV

I live in Cincinnati OH and travel around OH, IND & KY the most.
If anyone would like to meet-up and go kayaking on a river up to class 2 (I now go with my dog - black lab) and/or lake...please let me know
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:46 AM   #2

Yes. We just came home from Florida where we spent many days paddling.
We will be paddling the Yukon River this summer and do plan on taking the RV.. We'll store the unit in Whitehorse while we paddle our 500 mile trip.( and tent camp).
Then it will be off to Alaska

We took our RV to the Buffalo River and camped while we paddled with many people on day trips last April. The Ozark Rendezvous.. You might want to look that up on Getting together and going paddling at www.paddling.com. There are folks that come from our area.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #3

So it sounds like you usually rent kayaks vs haul your own??
Old 03-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #4

We paddle WW and flat water any chance we get.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
So it sounds like you usually rent kayaks vs haul your own??
Why did you think that? We've had our own boats since 1989. I just told you how I hauled ours. Not many rent full size expedition sea kayaks. We often go out for a couple hundred mile trips.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 03-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #6

Quote:
I don't see too many RV's that go kayaking and wondering if there are any more out there?

I use the Apex Universal Truck Rack (looks like a ladder rack but with many holes to secure straps) to put my boats on top of my truck while I RV

If anyone would like to meet-up and go kayaking on a river up to class 2 (I now go with my dog - black lab) and/or lake...please let me know
P.S., I guess I should have titled this "Any RVers go kayaking"
Old 03-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #7

When I see my little trailer in a kayak I know its la la time!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 03-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
Site Team

We have camped long before kayaks but for the last 6 years, they go on almost every trip. We paddle calm rivers and lakes.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1093.jpg   IMG_3037.jpg   2009_09_19 008.jpg  
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:

Used to do whitewater back in the 80's (Lots here in Colorado, several sections of the Arkansas, Poudre, Crystal, Colorado, Green - Utah, Westwater Canyon on the Colorado - Idaho - Middle Fork of the Salmon).

Had to give it up because it destroyed my back - couldn't sit locked in the boat for long periods or I paid with a week or more of bad lower back pain. Back is still not great, but nothing like it was the last year I tried paddling. I can do a canoe no problem, and I'm going to try a sit on top kayak for fishing this summer. I think that as long as I have a seat with a back rest and I can move around a little and shift my position, I'll be okay.

I grew up in a canoe, lived in it every summer from the time I was old enough to hold a paddle until I graduated high school. Took 2 canoe trips in the Boundary Waters/Quetico Provincial Park in the early 60's while I was an Explorer Scout.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #10

Our kayaking is recreational in nature, but allows us to see areas many others don't get to see while we are in National Parks. Very happy that we lugged them out to Glacier last year!
Attached Thumbnails
20160527_152531.jpg   20160730_125617.jpg  
Old 03-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Why did you think that? We've had our own boats since 1989. I just told you how I hauled ours. Not many rent full size expedition sea kayaks. We often go out for a couple hundred mile trips.
Sorry I mis-read your post.
I was at work and in a hurry and didn't read it thoroughly.
Also not familiar with "We'll store the unit in Whitehorse"
I have paddled Florida at least half a dozen times, I think my favorite was when we snorkled from kayaks with the Manatees near Homosassa Springs - the Gulf is my favorite place to paddle!!
Thanks for the post
Happy Paddling
Old 03-22-2017, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
We paddle WW and flat water any chance we get.

Thanks for the pics, I'll try to take some pics next week after I go kayaking/camping this weekend!
I liked your thread of pics on your mods and trailer, really like your level on the tongue jack!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #13

Thanks for the pics, going kayak-camping this weekend and will try to post some pics,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0470.jpg   IMG_0500.jpg   IMG_0485.jpg  
Old 03-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
Used to do whitewater back in the 80's (Lots here in Colorado, several sections of the Arkansas, Poudre, Crystal, Colorado, Green - Utah, Westwater Canyon on the Colorado - Idaho - Middle Fork of the Salmon).

Had to give it up because it destroyed my back - couldn't sit locked in the boat for long periods or I paid with a week or more of bad lower back pain. Back is still not great, but nothing like it was the last year I tried paddling. I can do a canoe no problem, and I'm going to try a sit on top kayak for fishing this summer. I think that as long as I have a seat with a back rest and I can move around a little and shift my position, I'll be okay.

I grew up in a canoe, lived in it every summer from the time I was old enough to hold a paddle until I graduated high school. Took 2 canoe trips in the Boundary Waters/Quetico Provincial Park in the early 60's while I was an Explorer Scout.
I went to SOT's a couple years ago and love them. Wish I would have done it alot sooner.
I have really bad knees and the sit insides (Rec/WW/Touring - I had 13 two years ago but am down to 8 now) really cramped up my knees with it popping every 5 minutes (way overdue for a total knee replacement) but the SOT allows me alot more freedom to move around. Don't know about the lower back issue? Fortunately my lower back is in decent shape. Many SOT's don't have the best back support but I'm sure they are better than WW!! Last year I went to my first tandem (usually called "divorce boats") so I can take my dog Max. Now he's my favorite paddling buddy!!
I'll try posting a pic but I just did that on my last post and don't see it on the site? First time I tried a pic on the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0410.jpg   IMG_0521.jpg  
Old 03-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #15

I just got a ladder rack and mounted some old Yakamal holy rollers and saddles.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Last year I went to my first tandem (usually called "divorce boats") so I can take my dog Max. Now he's my favorite paddling buddy!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stanley Lake 2007 (39).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	29877

HaHaHa... Yep I have one of those divorce boats too... funny, I still have the boat!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #17

We have 2 13 ft Old Town Cayuga 130 Touring Kayaks and use a Thule Goal Post, and a single Thule roof Rack. Still get excellent vision when driving, and have never had any problems with it.
Attached Thumbnails
RV at work.jpg   .facebook_-1362658821.jpg  
2016 Jayco North Point 341RLTS
gman03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Sorry I mis-read your post.
I was at work and in a hurry and didn't read it thoroughly.
Also not familiar with "We'll store the unit in Whitehorse"
I have paddled Florida at least half a dozen times, I think my favorite was when we snorkled from kayaks with the Manatees near Homosassa Springs - the Gulf is my favorite place to paddle!!
Thanks for the post
Happy Paddling
In 5 sleeps I am leaving the Canadian winter with the RV and kayaks to head for Crystal River near Homosassa Springs with one of our main goals to snorkel with the Manatees. My first time kayaking there, can you recommend some launch points/day paddles ?

Our Australian Shepherd loves kayaking almost as much as I do, although he doesn't do much paddling while in the kayak.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #19

Recreational day trips only now (canoe/kayak camping was a long time ago now). But our two 'yaks Rudolph and Olive (Ocean Kayak Frenzy) come along on most trips, only left behind when we know the kayaking isn't very good at a park.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #20

Crystal River has a kayak launch ( actually two) downtown. Look for Hunter Springs Park

Homosassa has a boat launch at the end of the paved road but even better a kayak and canoe only launch in back of Riverside Motel

You cant paddle in to Three Sisters Springs. too many paddlers harassed the manatees but you will see some outside the spring area.

Same for Homosassa there is a boundary rope you cannot go past but there are manatees on the paddling side

My favorite is the Chassahowitzka. Its just south of Homosassa, chock full of manatees and a beautiful area where you will be alone with them Launch from Chassahowitzka campground Paddle up the Crack

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in