Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Site Team

Any known way to wirelessly transmit the music from my radio to an outside speaker?

The radio has an A/B/Both setting and has an output for a headset but I want to play music outside where there's no speaker. Best Buy was no help today but I know somebody here has done this successfully.

Thoughts?

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #2

I'm your guy.

We had an x17z that didn't have outdoor speakers and I LOVE having the same music playing inside the camper and outside the camper. I actually used to own a mobile entertainment company and I installed all my CD's on a laptop but have my favorite tunes on an old iphone. Here's what I do.

1) The first piece of the puzzle if the audio source. Say you have an ipad/iphone/ipod with the headphone jack that has the music you want to hear.

2) The next piece of the puzzle is an FM transmitter. Here's the one I have. FM Transmitter You simply plug the ipod into the FM transmitter.

3) Before playing any music, turn on the radio in your camper and find an FM station that is complete static. Then turn on your FM transmitter and set it to broadcast the station that had all the static.

4) Tune your outdoor radio to the same station as the inside radio.

5) Open a cold beer and enjoy the tunes.

Even though we have indoor and outdoor speakers in our campers I will still use the FM transmitter. If I just plug my iphone into the camper radio then I have to blast the volume in order to hear the tunes on the outdoor speakers. Of course, this means the indoor speakers are screaming which isn't cool.

With the FM transmitter it gives you a greater flexibility in volume control. You can simply turn the camper;s indoor speakers at a comfortable level and then use the portable radio outside and set THAT to a comfortable level.

Does that make sense?

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #3

You have to be kidding me!!!!....there are TONS of wireless speakers solutions available. Most of them take batteries, but some systems are rechargeable. The easiest way to get sound to the wireless speakers is to use the headphones out jack to the signal processor / transmitter, but keep in mind that use of the headphones jack usually kills all other sound output (A/B/Both).

I have looked into several of these systems, but I haven't purchased one yet.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
You have to be kidding me!!!!....there are TONS of wireless speakers solutions available.

The easiest way to get sound to the wireless speakers is to use the headphones out jack to the signal processor / transmitter
There are many blue tooth options but my stereo isn't blue tooth. What you're proposing is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. What transmitter would plug into the headphone jack and transmit to a speaker outside?

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
Old 07-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
I'm your guy.

We had an x17z that didn't have outdoor speakers and I LOVE having the same music playing inside the camper and outside the camper. I actually used to own a mobile entertainment company and I installed all my CD's on a laptop but have my favorite tunes on an old iphone. Here's what I do.

1) The first piece of the puzzle if the audio source. Say you have an ipad/iphone/ipod with the headphone jack that has the music you want to hear.

2) The next piece of the puzzle is an FM transmitter. Here's the one I have. FM Transmitter You simply plug the ipod into the FM transmitter.

3) Before playing any music, turn on the radio in your camper and find an FM station that is complete static. Then turn on your FM transmitter and set it to broadcast the station that had all the static.

4) Tune your outdoor radio to the same station as the inside radio.

5) Open a cold beer and enjoy the tunes.

Even though we have indoor and outdoor speakers in our campers I will still use the FM transmitter. If I just plug my iphone into the camper radio then I have to blast the volume in order to hear the tunes on the outdoor speakers. Of course, this means the indoor speakers are screaming which isn't cool.

With the FM transmitter it gives you a greater flexibility in volume control. You can simply turn the camper;s indoor speakers at a comfortable level and then use the portable radio outside and set THAT to a comfortable level.

Does that make sense?
It makes sense as I've used an FM transmitter before but that means I have to place a radio outside which is what I'm trying to avoid. Interesting concept though and one I may use but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I just want to add a speaker outside that the stereo inside can transmit to... any idea how to do that?

Thanks,

Tom

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
Old 07-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
Site Team

http://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-Uni...productDetails

This may work but after I buy a speaker I'm at $200+ just to listen to radio.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
Old 07-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #7

Any of these would work utilizing audio (headphones) output from a smart phone / MP3 player / or your TT head unit....keep in mind the variety of options (battery powered, rechargeable, outdoor / indoor, speaker wattage) can greatly impact the price.......following are a few examples I came across first search....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&Q=&A=details

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIO-UNLIMI...item1e7d2401d5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mutant-Indoo...item4d0e752640

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Indoor-O...item35c99ce0b9

Happy Hunting....
Old 07-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
It makes sense as I've used an FM transmitter before but that means I have to place a radio outside which is what I'm trying to avoid. Interesting concept though and one I may use but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I just want to add a speaker outside that the stereo inside can transmit to... any idea how to do that?

Thanks,

Tom

I'm confused. You have to place a speaker outside anyway so why don't you want to put a radio outside?

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
I'm confused. You have to place a speaker outside anyway so why don't you want to put a radio outside?
I'm just trying to add a small wireless speaker and not have to worry about bringing an entire radio. That's what I do now.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
Old 07-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #10

At various times I have seen small wireless systems at big box stores for well under $40....they are usually under 75 watts, battery powered and indoor rated. Might be just the ticket for you....
Old 07-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
There are many blue tooth options but my stereo isn't blue tooth. What you're proposing is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. What transmitter would plug into the headphone jack and transmit to a speaker outside?
You can purchase a Bluetooth transmitter that you would wire to either the A or B speakers and then you would be able to use the Bluetooth speakers outside. Check on Amazon as they have them.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #12

I know I have seen some at WALMART...

I use one from CCRANE but it is only a TRANSMITTER. You have to have a regular FM radio to pick it up.

I use this for adding multiple audio outputs from several two way radios so I can sit outside and listen the them on one speaker.

A wireless SPEAKER is what you want to find...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #13

This is what I was thinking about at WALMART...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #14

Jensen makes one that you can transmit from radio to outside speaker which is included in package. Must have an earphone output on trailer radio.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #15

I've owned these for years... bought them when they were Sharper Image brand... they work great. Just what you're looking for.
http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Unlimited-...pd_sim_sbs_e_1
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote