Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #1

Any members affected by rains? (not sure where to post)

The DW and I were on our first boondock trip at Tallulah River Campground in Rabun County in N.W. Georgia, a beautiful place in the mountains very close to where the river begins across the state line in N.C. We arrived Tuesday evening in the rain, but it cleared up that night and started out with two nice days in one of our favorite places to camp, only this was the first time we weren't in a tent so we were ready for anything Mother Nature could throw our way in the corner of the state that receives more rainfall than any other until...
Chilling in the tt on Friday morning in a heavy rain, making plans for the day the C.G. host and another camper come around warning everyone about the storms moving up through S.Carolina, this c.g. is in a remote area with limited radio reception and little to no cell signal, so we were taken by surprise as the host tells us stories of heavy flooding on the river from 5-6 inch rainfalls and they are predicting 10-12 inches, an amount they have never received in one storm in his lifetime in Rabun County. He warns us that we should be prepared to leave quickly the next morning, so we slowly start packing the non-essentials ready to leave Saturday morning with hopefully some nice pics of the rising river. Within two hours, he comes around again and tells us the Forest Service has ordered all three campground on the river closed and evacuated by 7:00 PM Friday due to the weather prediction, needless to say, we cut short the trip.
I'm hoping no members our any of your loved ones are being adversely affected by the storm. I want to ask how Norty1 is doing down there in Charleston, he is the one who welcomed us to the forum and they are getting hit hard with reports of up to 12 inches of rain in some spots.
Fortunately for the people of Rabun County, the worst of it slid by to the east. As I am typing this back home in North Metro Atlanta the lights are flickering from some high wind gusts and most of the rain is gone. Our thought and prayers go out to everyone affected by the storms.
The next time out is in two weeks, our longest trip so far to Gulf States Park south of Mobile, Alabama, pleas Ma Nature, no Hurricanes!
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Any members affected by rains? (not sure where to post)

Thanks for asking. We have had 5 days of hard rain. Lots of flooding all over. More expected. We have a roof leak that started today.
Many homes are flooded here but so far it's only streets and yards. I actually paddled the streets of our neighborhood yesterday.
We are hoping to leave for Hiawassee, Ga next week.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #3

Glad to hear your doing OK. The forecast for the mountains is much better next week. We stayed at Riverbend in Hiwassee in August and loved it. Please give us a damage report for James Island Park when things clear up we want to go in the spring.
I didn't see the hurricane thread when I posted please merge this one with it if you do those things.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Only 2-3 inches of rain here but the stiff North East wind has been relentless for several days resulting in beach erosion and tidal flooding.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
Site Team

I think this is not related directly to the hurricane which has moved out to sea.
I'll post on the park when I get out there in a day or so. I suspect all will be fine if this front will move on and let the rain stop.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 10-05-2015, 06:06 AM   #6

I arrived back at my home base in central Alabama yesterday after spending 5 days at Road Atlanta in Braselton, GA. It rained the entire 5 days and the NE wind mentioned in an earlier post was tremendous yesterday morning when heading back to Alabama. No high water problems, but the 10 hour race Saturday was cut short at 8 hours due to flooding on parts of the track.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Site Team

Today is overcast but rain free since last night. We had 24 inches since Thursday.
Expecting more today and clearing on Tuesday.
Hallelujah!
Gator roll-up bed cover