Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #41
Site Team

Formaldehyde used to be the no no. I have not seen that sold in years. What are some other common chemicals that would be OK to use in a municipal sewer system but not in a septic tank?

We have a septic system and I have no interest in adding any camper stuff to it. It costs to much to repair it. We can dump at a local county park for a small fee if needed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #42

I see no problem dumping in a home septic system once in a while.. but, I would not dump a large tank all at once. A septic system is designed to dump a toilet or sink, a few gallons at a time. When you dump 30, 40 or more gallons all at once it will upset the system. It has a tendency to mix solids back into the first "station" in the tank. This can cause solids to be expelled into the second tank, not allowing the solids to precipitate out. Most chemicals will cause no issue but you may want to check what your using your tank.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #43

This is all very interesting. One thing I've seen mentioned in this thread several times is the potential adverse effect of dumping a "large" amount of liquid all at once upsetting the septic system. That it's designed to take a toilet flush or sink flush and much more than that could cause a problem.

What about a bath tub? I have two bathtubs in my house. On occasion, both of them are used in the same evening; my son gets his bath, and then DW gets hers a couple hours later. We're talking a big spa garden tub in DW's case, but a small tub partially full in my son's case. My black tank is only 35 gallons, and I can assure you that just one tub of water is more than that.

What about a washing machine? What happens to the many gallons of wash-tub water? They go in the septic system. So then let's just say my son takes a bath, DW takes a bath, and we do say 3 loads of laundry on any given Sunday (we're not even talking about the other water going in there like my shower, and the dishwasher, and washing dishes and flushing toilets and washing hands ...) I'd say dumping my 35 gallon black tank once a month is A LOT less disruptive than a typical Sunday in my house.

Now I will get on board with the chemical thing. I certainly don't want to mess with the bacteria balance in my septic system, that would be baaad, ummkaaay.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #44

If you understand how a septic tank operates I think you may understand dumping a lot of water at one time. In a typical tank you have three chambers. The waste and water flows into the first partition...where the solid precipitate out of the liquid. When the liquid fills that chamber it will flow Over the partition and into the next chamber, where again solids precipitate out. Again when this chamber fills, It then flows into the final chamber. When the final chamber fills the liquid flows out of the tank into the leech field, where the liquid soaks into the ground. Anything that causes solids (such as agitating the tank before solids have a chance to settle) to flow into the leech field will cause issues. A typical shower, washer etc will discharge a low flow of water over a period of time, rather than a rush of 4" of water over a very short period of time, which causes the water already in the tank to agitate, solids are then mixed with the liquid again and some will flow into the next chamber... etc etc.. It's why I suggest emptying your tank slowly, so the water enters in a slower, non agitating method. Your sink, tub etc has a 1 1/2" drain, your RV will have a 4" drain, which allows water to flow much faster. JMHO

Old 01-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #45

I see that Walmart is now carrying RidX brand RV tank treatment. I'm thinking that this one may be compatible with a home septic, as they make the home treatment too.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #46

I down graded from a class A to an x213 about a year ago. I have city sewer systems here and regularly dumped my 100 gallon tanks into the clean out Y between the house and the main. Never had any issues. Back in hook the hoses and dump its a beautiful thing not having to go somewhere to do it.
Dean M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #47

I usually dump before I leave the campgrounds, but at home I use a macerator pump and pump into the clean-out to my septic tank. The macerator pumps thru a 1/2" to 5/8" garden hose, so the flow is not that fast. It takes about 15 mins to dump my 30 gal. black tank. Never had any problems with the septic, just me and DW at home now. The 2 dogs have their own waste system

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #48

So I just purchased a Sewer Solution so I could dump at home into my septic. Now I find this thread.

So seeing as the SS pumps through a 1 inch hose, it should be less flow that a standard pipe at home as described above. Think this would cause issues?
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
So I just purchased a Sewer Solution so I could dump at home into my septic. Now I find this thread.

So seeing as the SS pumps through a 1 inch hose, it should be less flow that a standard pipe at home as described above. Think this would cause issues?
I've been considering the SS as well. My only concern is all the extra water it puts into the process? I wonder if that might cause a problem?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #50

When we purchased our property in '95 with the intention on building a home, we first put up a building complete with bathroom. We lived in the building to sell the other house, began making plans to build.

When I contracted the sewer plant I pointed to a stop and said "I want a clean-out right here". We had no plans on ever owning a motorhome in the future.

Fast forward to the present, the home is built (some twenty years ago), and we just purchased a motorhome. AND, we have the availability of dumping our new coach in that clean-out. We used it once, and it works "so very well". We now know that upon returning home from our travels, should there be a need to dump, we have a dump site at home ..........
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #51

Just burry a 55 gal drum and drill holes in the top foot or so of the drum. When you backfill the drum, use gravel rocks 2" to allow for drainage. Worked for years.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghblue View Post
Just burry a 55 gal drum and drill holes in the top foot or so of the drum. When you backfill the drum, use gravel rocks 2" to allow for drainage. Worked for years.
Just be aware, this is illegal every place in this country. If the EPA on any level becomes aware of this the fines, well, most likely would not have your RV anymore. Use to be able to do many things, but the times they have changed, unfortunately.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I've been considering the SS as well. My only concern is all the extra water it puts into the process? I wonder if that might cause a problem?
I have done this, but, per advise of the septic folks I dump more often and less qty at a time. What you don't want to do is overfill the first stage and cause solids to flow into the second stage. It''s not necessarily how fast but how much over a relatively short period of time. A home toilet only flushes about a gallon and a half. A shower maybe 10 -5 gallons even a laundry is not all that much quantity of water.

If you have a 30 gallon tank, flush it when it gets a 1/4 to 1/5 full and just more often. I would also not pump your grey tank out at the same time. You have to allow time for the solids to participate out in stage one, before the water flows to stage 2 and beyond. You don't want to get solids in your drainage field, big $ at that point.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #54

Or if you go sell the property, an environmental study might have to be done and corrected so the next buyer can get a mortgage. I'm a business banker and we run into environmental situations for commercial properties on occasion, what a mess it can be.