Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #21

Our driveway is too short for our TT so we pay $50/month for storage at an old Nike missile site about 18 miles from the house. The place is pretty remote and has a guy living there so it's pretty secure. I winterize at the lot but get a full hookup site to dewinterize at the CG for our first outing. Loading the TT in front of the house by myself is a bit of a pain but I can do it in less than an hour now.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #22
Site Team

From the day I took delivery of my TT in 02/2000 until I moved it to our Home Base in 11/2014, I kept it in some kind of storage facility. After I moved it, I did ran a Quicken report of how much I paid over all those years to simply park the TT somewhere. I was shocked to learn that I had paid over $6,000.00.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
Not necessarily...just because the HOA has a rule against it doesn't mean the rule would stand up in court. The question is do you want to pay to fight it?

Great example would be the miniature satellite dishes...as I understand it, many HOA's banned them originally. But the courts ruled they couldn't ban them.

I have a hard time believing that a HOA rule the bans temporary storage for a limited amount of time to load / unload would stand up. But IANAL.
If you buy a piece of property governed by an HOA, it is your responsibility to know all the rules. No court will force an HOA to change its rules, unless it discriminates ownership based on race, creed, color, etc. Even if you claim you didn't know ignorance is no excuse. Some HOAs even prohibit parking your car in the driveway. While that seems unconstitutional, it is legal. You can fight it all you want, but is a rule made by an HOA. An HOA is recognized in court as a legal governing body within a community of homeowners - ruled by the majority, just like a city, town, or village.

Not trying to be argumentative, but don't want folks to think they can impose their will on the majority of people in their HOA just by throwing a lot of money at it. It won't work.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #24
Site Team

When the DW and I were looking for a suitable lot to build our Home Base, many potential candidates got nixed immediately because they had covenants or HOA rules. I refused to buy any property with such limitations. Needless to say, it took four years of looking before we found the lot we purchased.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post

Not trying to be argumentative, but don't want folks to think they can impose their will on the majority of people in their HOA just by throwing a lot of money at it. It won't work.
An additional comment to this is that part of moving into an HOA setting is that you sign an agreement to those rules. This is one of the reasons that it's hard to fight these in court. You effectively gave up certain rights for the "good" of the neighborhood. If you want the rules changed you have to follow the governing entity's process for getting the rules changed.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
An additional comment to this is that part of moving into an HOA setting is that you sign an agreement to those rules. This is one of the reasons that it's hard to fight these in court. You effectively gave up certain rights for the "good" of the neighborhood. If you want the rules changed you have to follow the governing entity's process for getting the rules changed.

I agree. Our HOA is very clear about their rules. They even make it a point to send you the rules & regs. every so often. It's a good thing though. Keeps people from painting their front door pink with yellow polkadots and wierd crap like that.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #27

HOAs can do good things like making sure folks don't use their front yard to sell cars. They can go overboard too. For instance, we received a letter from our HOA because we put our trash can out on a Monday (Tuesday is trash day) before 5 pm. We actually put the can out at 1 pm just before we left for a week-long trip. Had our daughter come at noon on Tuesday to put the trash can back. After explaining all this to the lady who manages our HOA, she apologized for the letter and said she'd remove the "violation" from our records. I've lived in this neighborhood for 33 years. Sometimes, it's just plain nuts.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #28

Ouch, so glad I got a flat 3 acres for many a storage spot. So sad people cannot have their equipment close by.

Larry J
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #29

Something I didn't know...

HOA's can foreclose on your property if you're behind in paying them.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Something I didn't know...

HOA's can foreclose on your property if you're behind in paying them.
Really? I thought they could get a judgement and file lean, but not foreclose. Those would be some pretty substantial HOA dues if they could foreclose.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Really? I thought they could get a judgement and file lean, but not foreclose. Those would be some pretty substantial HOA dues if they could foreclose.
In most cases, liens, foreclosure, etc is all spelled out in the HOA agreement that every owner must sign. And this can vary, depending on the language in the agreement, and on local and state laws. We can't really make any broad statements on this, because one size doesn't fit all.

This topic is "good to know" stuff for a lot of people, because folks will now be more aware of what to look for when they buy properties and/or RVs. But I would be remiss if I didn't point out that regardless of what local laws and ordinances, or HOA agreements state at the time you purchase the property - things CAN and usually WILL change over time. Your city/town/village boards/councils can vote to change rules and ordinances at any time. And the majority of HOA members, through the HOA board, can change the rules within the HOA area at any time, according to the procedures spelled out in the HOA constitution. (And RV owners CAN petition for change!)

The things that will usually NEVER change, though, are any covenants and restrictions that are attached to deeds. Those are usually permanent.

Just more food for thought.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #32

An HOA that has a lien can foreclose that lien.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgermane View Post
We have enough room in front of our house to park on the street, but our association won't allow it. We keep out coach in a covered storage facility that's about 20-25 minutes away. Bring it home a couple days before a trip, and it stays for a couple days after the trip. We occasionally get a letter from the association, but by the time we get it, the motorhome is already back in storage..
DITTO !!

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:25 PM   #34

Where I live you can have your trailer parked in your driveway from May 1st to Sept 30. Lots are on the street for days. You can park your trailer in your yard as long as it is not past the front of your house. My driveway is far to short for my trailer, and my truck can not pull it, so its on a seasonal lot and stays there all year.

I could park it in the back yard as I have access by a laneway, but it would take up a lot of the backyard and we are not prepared to do so at this time along with buying a new truck.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:16 PM   #35

Mine hasn't been home yet,been parking it at my uncles till I finish making my driveway longer.Last 2 days we have installed a new fence and gate.Tomorrow we are tearing out our old fence and gate.Then when the trailer is done being repaired at the dealer it can finally come home.
WrenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:52 AM   #36

Used to live where we were harassed by the HOA all the time. We couldn't even park it in front of the house for loading/unloading without the neighborhood busy-body leaving a nasty note on the door telling us we would be fined. Paid upwards of $600/year in storage costs.

Now, we have a nice pad in our backyard with its own carport cover and RV Mate pedestal and it sits hooked up and in the shady, happy as can be.
HotrodHotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #37

Where we live it is not an issue parking RV or boats on your property. Unfortunately my property configuration does not allow me to keep my TT at home. My MIL is in a nursing home and her home is in a trust, so we cannot sell it while she is still living. She has a great piece of property only 3 blocks from us where we store our TT for the winter.

In the summer months we store our TT at a CG we frequent upstate NY. The cost per month to store is only $3 per day. In the worst case the monthly storage is only $90, but when we use the trailer every weekend we only pay storage for 4 days per week or about $48 per month. When I was towing my trailer back and forth every weekend it was costing me about $125 per weekend in gas and tolls alone.

Now we drive up on a Friday, plug it in, level and put out the slides all in about 15 minutes. A lot less hassle than taking a TT though NYC.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:12 PM   #38

We keep ours at a nearby storage (now). We live in a townhouse with HOA. We can park on the public street right outside our door or in the parking lot taking up a few open spots to load and unload. It's got all the dry goods and linens, ect. stored in it. I bring it home to load food and clothes and wife.
Our storage place has a dump station and a wash bay which is a nice convenience. At $50 a month.
Attached Thumbnails
20150417_143152.jpg  
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #39

If a person-is considering moving into an HOA it is up to them to read the CC&R's and rules and regs BEFORE they buy in the community.
I was president of our HOA for 2 terms. We have a small RV lot in our community. We only have 149 homes here and our RV lot has 8 spaces. Our monthly parking dues are $15.00 a month and the lot has a locked gate around it. We are allowed to park in front of our house for 72 hours to load or unload our RV. Our city has the same 72 hour time limit for the entire city.
An HOA can have rules more restrictive than the city but not less restrictive.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #40

Our house is on a corner lot with a fairly busy 2-lane streets and a 4-way stop. The busiest street is the 'side street' relative to our house. There are CC&R/HOA restrictions related to parking vehicles either on the street or in yard at the front of the house. As long as the trailer is on the side and doesn't extend beyond the front of the house, there is no problem.

A couple of weeks ago, we moved our trailer from a $55/mo uncovered, fenced, and locked storage area to the side of our house. Our side yard was a bit tricky, blind-side back in off a busy street. I made it on the second try. It's nice to have it so close and save $ too.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote