Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #1

Anyone using a CB radio

Growing up, my grandparents always had a CB radio in the truck. I have one from my old truck, but I have not hooked it up in my new truck, 13 F150. I am curious if anyone still uses them? Also, if you do, where do you have it mounted. I am thinking about installing mine for when we are traveling since it will mostly be the 3 of us as a family and not with a group of other campers.
darlingtontrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
My father in law had one but he was camping a lot in his retirement and was used to them from his construction days. If you are moving through a place with a lot of truckers they probably come in handy. Although if you have little ears in your tv then just be aware they hear everything

Having said that I am trying to I find a portable one
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #3

I have one in my truck. I use it for traffic jams and such. You get the occasional morons that think it makes them sound tough to drop an fbomb, if that starts it gets turned down until they are out of range. I used the handheld I keep in my to work and back car just last Thursday to help some truckers get around a major traffic backup. They can be useful in some situations though not near as useful as a few years back. I do not have a full floor console in my truck so I bought a CB mount that sits on the hump. It is angled up for easy viewing and has a saw tooth pattern to keep it from sliding around. It hasn't moved in the 8 months I have had it.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #4

I picked up a portable one years ago. It had a small removable antennae, but it could only pick up signals from a couple hundred yards. I swapped it out for a magnetic roof-top antennae, which has a lot further range. I don't use it often, but occasionally I'll hook it up for a long road trip. I enjoy listening to some of the conversations the big riggers have, but you do have to be aware that the language can get (shall we say) saucy.

Heard a fellow one time ask for a radio check. When no one answered, he repeated his request. Finally someone came back with "Your radio's workin' fine, but your lips are breaking up"!
Old 06-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #5

Have one in the truck. Very useful when you encounter that backup to know the cause, potential delay, etc. No need to talk, just listen. Keep the squelch up to tune out the crap. Mine is hand-held with magnetic mount antenna, so cant help with the mounting.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #6

Got a small one in my Blazer but rarely use it (mostly for trail or off-road trips)
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #7

My parents used to have one when we'd road trip (2 day trip from New England to West Virginia).

Nowadays, I just use the waze app https://www.waze.com/. It'll tell me about traffic Jams, cars on the shoulder, re-route around traffic (which I've never tried when towing, too nervous to get off the highway with the camper)
Mpking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #8

We are fulltimers in our fiver and would not be without our cb- It is very useful to keep tabs on road conditions and delays- The big rigs aren't as helpful as in the old days but they are usually are available when it is to their advantage to do so- Our cb is mounted to the ceiling console- DD