Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #21
My Towmax tires were fine for a while. I watched them VERY closely because of all the stories I've read here and elsewhere. They held pressure pretty well too.

But then on a trip home from the beach, I saw an abnormality in one of them in the mirror. Luckily we made it home. I couldn't see anything wrong looking at the tire on the trailer, so I dismounted it, and could clearly see I had a broken tread. It was a time bomb.

So I had them all replaced with Maxxis and went up one load range (D to E). I don't worry about the tires much any more, though I do check them frequently and ensure I'm at max sidewall cold pressure.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #22
We just returned from a vacation to Topsail Hill State Park Florida. About 60 miles into our trip left rear Towmax China Bomb went off on I65 3 miles north of Greenville, AL. Damaged the wiring going to the slide out on our 2013 Eagle that we purchased new exactly 3 years ago. We pulled to the side of the road
but we were beside a long guard rail so we eased up about 100 feet and changed the tire. Since it was Sunday we had no luck getting a tire. We drove the remaining 2 hour on pins and needles. Monday morning we got a Goodyear Marathon. I then noticed the left front tire was rounded across the face of the tire and not flat like the other 3. So I took it off and took it to the Goodyear shop and the tech said that it was nothing to worry about. So I put it back on and I brought all of the pressures from 65 to 74 psi. Because of Hurricane Hermine we were told to evacuate the park about 5pm Wednesday which meant night driving. As luck would have it, about 30 miles into the return trip Towmax China Bomb #2 blows. No not the rounded face one but the right front. All that I had was a rachet and 3/4 12 point socket and could not get the lug nuts off. Called roadside assistance, paid $100 for about 15 minutes work. But by 9pm was headed out for a 3 hour drive home. By the grace of God we made it home. My local dealer said tough luck, they must be dry rotted (about 2000 miles and 3 years in the shade old). Googled "Towmax 235 80R16 Defect" and seen MANY complaints. Called the dealer back and the he says "yeah I heard that there were several complaints about them" but sorry man. I am replacing all of them tomorrow. TOWMAX IS CHINESE JUNK. DON"T BET YOUR LIFE ON THEM!

Lake Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote