Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #11
When i did put out moth balls i put them in glass containers. The smell is still in the air but the moth balls aren't in direct contact with fabric (carpet, cushions). in the spring just take the container and all out and the smell goes with it.

2011 31SS Greyhawk
2006 Ranger Reata 1850
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #12
I admit that my observation of newer plastic wire being more attractive to rodents than older insulation is subjective. I don't quite agree that a reference to equipment in Spain blows it out of the water for North America.

Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
Rodents chewing on wiring is an age-old problem. I work on the service side of the business for Cat. We have a demo/training facility in Malaga, Spain I've been to several times. They are constantly replacing wiring harnesses on equipment that have been chewed up by rats. ...
There are many complaints about mice inside RV's. I don't recall many threads about rodents chewing brake wires on older units.

My 2001 23b had loads of mouse poop all over when I bought it. I found that Jayco didn't properly install the one plastic wheel well assembly. That left literally a 2 foot long 3/4" gap for the mice to run in and out at will. There were lots of places where things were chewed upon and destroyed for nesting material. I didn't find one wire chewed inside or outside of the entire camper.

The types of materials used to manufacture plastics and wire insulation have changed over the years.

Were I a poll type person (I'm not), it might be interesting to see an "RV Rodent Damage to External Wires" poll created. I suggest limiting it to external wiring because that is always accessible to the critters. Possibly use age breakdowns of:
2000 and older
2001 - 2005
2006 - 2010
2011 - 2013
2014 - present

That might provide some data.

I may be completely wrong about newer insulation being more attractive to rodents. If I am, then no big deal and I aplologize. If I'm correct it may give owner's of newer units a heads up so they can look for possible prevention.

VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #13
I've been told that it may have to do with the oils that are used in the process of making the wires. I don't remember what was used before, but I am told the oils used in the process are canola and peanut....

That would make a big difference!

2014 Toyota Sienna
2014 JayCo X19H
Husky WDH, Curt Class 3, Prodigy P2
AirLift 1000 Suspension
MrScary is offline   Reply With Quote