Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #1

ARGH! MICE! Brake cables....gone!

Just checked on my camper over the holiday weekend (first winter with one). It is at my in-laws on their property. There weren't any signs of mice inside the trailer, but when I glanced underneath.....

They chewed up all the small wires. This includes the brakes and all the tank sensor wires!

Looks like I'll be doing some rewiring with flexible metal conduit!

Good thing I didn't hook up to take it anywhere!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150405_171229410_HDR.jpg  
AirLift 1000 Suspension
MrScary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #2

**** that sucks! I've haven't thought of checking for that damage...maybe I'd better start since I did have some signs of mice in the TT over the winter.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #3

Ahhhh bummer. At least they didn't infest the inside!

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:19 AM   #4

That sucks.

One day I went to storage to check on my trailer not long after I started storing it at this particular outside storage lot. I saw some kind of liquid on my tire and was a bit confused; it hadn't rained in weeks, and the other items in storage obviously hadn't been touched in quite some time, and I always store my trailer dry. So where did this wetness come from? What was it?

I bent down to get a closer look and immediately smelled the familiar odor of cat ****. At the time, I was kind of upset. Some damn cat urinated on my trailer!! Then I thought about it later and realized how good a thing that actually is. That stupid cat can mark my trailer tires all he wants!! So long as he's eating well, I'm happy!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #5

Looks like the rubber dust plug on your backing plate is missing too.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #6

.....great.....
AirLift 1000 Suspension
Old 04-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #7

tank sensors are not the end of the world. typically they are not trustworthy.

But those brakes that could be bad. Not sure about your brake controller, but all that I have had in the past, when you plug the TT in, there is a red light that illuminates on the controller. If it does not lite, then I know immediately that I do not have power to the brakes.

Good luck fixing them and keeping the evil mice away in the future.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:13 AM   #8

Mice chewing on wires is a fairly common topic for Sprinter based RV's and other Sprinter vans that sit unused or in storage. Those rats with bushy tails (squirrels) can be a problem too.

Because it seems to be mostly newer models that are affected, my theory is that the new environmentally friendly plastics have something which is attractive to the little critters.

I suppose that it can happen to anyone, but I'm thinkin' that older RV's are less susceptible as to rodent wiring damage. I have no data.

As an aside, the mice seem to like all Sprinter vans for using insulation in the engine bay for nesting material. Some say that keeping the grass/vegetation trimmed low around a stored RV so there's less cover on the way to the vehicle can help keep the numbers down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
tank sensors are not the end of the world. typically they are not trustworthy.
Amen to that.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:00 AM   #9

I hate those meeses to pieces!
Old 04-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #10

Rodents chewing on wiring is an age-old problem. I work on the service side of the business for Cat. We have a demo/training facility in Malaga, Spain I've been to several times. They are constantly replacing wiring harnesses on equipment that have been chewed up by rats. They've yet to figure out a way to stop it. Poisons don't seem to work, but mothballs have cut back on it. Perhaps you might consider laying out mothballs around the tires. I wouldn't put them inside, though, because the odor would not be nice inside your trailer.

For the inside, I've used Bounce dryer sheets every fall. I put one in every cabinet - under and on top of mattresses, on top and under all seat cushions, and a few just laying out. In 15 years, I've never had a single mouse or other critters (insects included) inside any of my trailers, and I have an outside storage space, too.

The mice don't like the smell, but my trailer smells like clean laundry all the time! (And BTW - use only the regular Bounce - not "Spring Fresh," "Febreze," or any other aroma.)

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #11

When i did put out moth balls i put them in glass containers. The smell is still in the air but the moth balls aren't in direct contact with fabric (carpet, cushions). in the spring just take the container and all out and the smell goes with it.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #12

I admit that my observation of newer plastic wire being more attractive to rodents than older insulation is subjective. I don't quite agree that a reference to equipment in Spain blows it out of the water for North America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
Rodents chewing on wiring is an age-old problem. I work on the service side of the business for Cat. We have a demo/training facility in Malaga, Spain I've been to several times. They are constantly replacing wiring harnesses on equipment that have been chewed up by rats. ...
There are many complaints about mice inside RV's. I don't recall many threads about rodents chewing brake wires on older units.

My 2001 23b had loads of mouse poop all over when I bought it. I found that Jayco didn't properly install the one plastic wheel well assembly. That left literally a 2 foot long 3/4" gap for the mice to run in and out at will. There were lots of places where things were chewed upon and destroyed for nesting material. I didn't find one wire chewed inside or outside of the entire camper.

The types of materials used to manufacture plastics and wire insulation have changed over the years.

Were I a poll type person (I'm not), it might be interesting to see an "RV Rodent Damage to External Wires" poll created. I suggest limiting it to external wiring because that is always accessible to the critters. Possibly use age breakdowns of:
2000 and older
2001 - 2005
2006 - 2010
2011 - 2013
2014 - present

That might provide some data.

I may be completely wrong about newer insulation being more attractive to rodents. If I am, then no big deal and I aplologize. If I'm correct it may give owner's of newer units a heads up so they can look for possible prevention.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #13

I've been told that it may have to do with the oils that are used in the process of making the wires. I don't remember what was used before, but I am told the oils used in the process are canola and peanut....

That would make a big difference!
AirLift 1000 Suspension