Jayco RV Owners Forum

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #11
Senior Member
lx22f/c's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Friendswood
Posts: 908
You know what we say here in Texas,
You dont like the weather forecast just change the channel. Lol Good luck to you and hope you get to go.

lx22f/c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #12
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 446
From what i see for the weather near Dallas tomorrow, the worst of the storm is predicted for the early afternoon, then later in the evening (5pm) scattered clouds at 3500 ft, and (9pm) improving to a clear sky, this being reported from Dallas airport, then Saturday and Sunday should be sunny.

personally I would keep a close eye on it, and when the storm starts to break, I would head out, but you have to use your own judgement

Good luck, let us know how it worked out


2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:18 AM   #13
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Garden City
Posts: 127
With A pop up we cancelled...no question...no thanks!!
But now with a large tt, flatscreen TV's, if its a close location we will roll the dice.
scottraycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:52 AM   #14
Senior Member
3'senough's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Originally Posted by Bsikes View Post
I have had a second "shake down" trip planned for the last month set for this weekend. Now the weatherman has predicted strong to severe thunderstorms Friday night.

At what point do YOU cancel the trip that's been planned for a month? Night before? Day of? Brave it and roll the dice?!?
T-Storms are never fun in any structure. Since you are going to be inside anyway I would either go out early AM on Sat or check the weather right before your anticipated departure. Eat at home then go if it's moved through. Worst case you just unhook and sleep, then go about your day on Sat.

I am all for camping rain or shine, just don't like severe weather as your stressed and not relaxed waiting it out.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #15
Senior Member
Bsikes's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Midlothian, TX
Posts: 232
Cancelled. DW just doesn't want to risk it. Big trip planned for June, maybe we'll try again in a few weeks with the Thousand Trails thing.
Brian, Michelle and 2 boys
2010 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 5.7L
2015 Jayco White Hawk 33BHBS Summit Edition, Glacier Package
Equil-I-Zer WDH
Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #16
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 3,631
We cancelled a trip a while back because of the threat of significant wind. It happens, it stinks, but then there's always next weekend.

Rain and thunderstorms usually won't push us over the edge, but wind is another story. It always rains on us anyway...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #17
Senior Member
Plowtoy's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hamilton, MI
Posts: 422
Round here, we go "weather" or not. There has been too many weekends where the cg was booked full, but due to the forecast, it was half empty all weekend and the forecast fell through.
Last labor day weekend, you couldn't find a park that wasnt booked full. Well, the weather man said cold, wind and rain. The park we were at, was only about half full and the weather was perfect.
Last year spring and fall, we were supposed to go to Cedar Point, but when we found out we were pregnet, we cancelled those reservations, since the wife couldnt ride the rides. Instead, we went to Ludington state park. THE WEATHER WAS COLD WET AND WINDY. We did spend a fair amount of time in the campers, but it was still nice to have that family time.
'97 Jayco Eagle 314BHS

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #18
Senior Member
TWP723's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 2,869
I usually won't cancel unless they're calling for rain and wind for the entire duration. Other than that..we go. That's why I bought a TT afterall.
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2012 Ford F250 6.2L 4x4 CCSB W/Air Lift air bags
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
2002 Coleman Bayside Elite (traded)
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #19
Senior Member
Jagiven's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,178
I do not think we have ever cancelled a trip due to weather. We have been in some big storms, never been an issue yet. I always look for safe places to take cover, and if it starts to sound/look really bad, I will check in with the front office or CG host about safe places to take shelter. I have had to take shelter about 4 times over the years.

The hardest part about a shakedown trip is not having a routine, but that is ok too. We have parked in our site, and gone into the trailer, and sat out a storm before setting up. I actually find it very relaxing after a long drive.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #20
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 158
We were supposed to go camping this past weekend as well but cancelled. I'm actually glad we did after watching the storms just north of us. (Dallas)

I can deal with the rain... but 70+ mph wind and softball size hail are not my kind of camping trip.

drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.