Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #1

Question At what point do you cancel the trip?

I have had a second "shake down" trip planned for the last month set for this weekend. Now the weatherman has predicted strong to severe thunderstorms Friday night.

At what point do YOU cancel the trip that's been planned for a month? Night before? Day of? Brave it and roll the dice?!?
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #2

We used to roll the dice, before kids! Without the kids it was never a big deal, so what if the tent and gear got wet. Momma and I always had fun anyway BUT now with the kids i think we will be a little more conservative!!
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #3

Roll the dice. Why would you cancel? If this a shakedown, you would be able to watch for leaks if any were to occur. Also, if your stuck inside because of rain, get familiar with the new TT. Try and look in every space you can and find ways to improve things. Make a list of potential mods you might like to do in the future.

Good luck
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
Roll the dice. Why would you cancel? If this a shakedown, you would be able to watch for leaks if any were to occur. Also, if your stuck inside because of rain, get familiar with the new TT. Try and look in every space you can and find ways to improve things. Make a list of potential mods you might like to do in the future.

Good luck
The only issue (that I forgot to include) is large hail and tornados are possible with these storms.

Not too Bueno for the TT and TV.
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Old 04-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #5

It is allways a gamble when you roll the dice. We planed a week trip to celebrate in Grand Isle State Park in South Loisiana and the weather was to be rain everday. ......And it did rain ever day but we had time to walk on the beach, cook out side, and do some sight seeing between rain fall and high wind. We had a great time between rain.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #6
Site Team

We look at the forecast and weigh our options. Sometime we just want a week away and don't care if it's raining. Others we cancel or cut it short.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsikes View Post
The only issue (that I forgot to include) is large hail and tornados are possible with these storms.

Not too Bueno for the TT and TV.
Yeah the hail and tornado issue would make me a bit nervous too. But, the same thing could happen at home too right? For safety, I would keep a close eye on the radar with your smartphone if you have one and be sure you have insurance on the TT and TV. Make the judgement call on you day of travel.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #8

Perhaps a good the to be an emergency weather radio for your trailer. And if you do go, make sure you know where the bunkers are.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #9

Yeah seeing that you are in Texas and the nation wide news is talking about those storms I'd be having second thoughts to. Can you leave out Saturday morning instead?
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #10

I've lived in west Texas for 65 years. One thing I've learned....never let the weather forecast determine your schedule, but always be aware of the approaching weather. Go, have fun, but keep an eye out.

Remember, the forecast of POSSIBLE storms is for a huge area...it's not so much rolling the dice....the odds are always in your favor. And the weather guessers on TV are always trying to make things sound as bad as they can possibly be.
Doncom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #11

You know what we say here in Texas,
You dont like the weather forecast just change the channel. Lol Good luck to you and hope you get to go.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #12

From what i see for the weather near Dallas tomorrow, the worst of the storm is predicted for the early afternoon, then later in the evening (5pm) scattered clouds at 3500 ft, and (9pm) improving to a clear sky, this being reported from Dallas airport, then Saturday and Sunday should be sunny.

personally I would keep a close eye on it, and when the storm starts to break, I would head out, but you have to use your own judgement

Good luck, let us know how it worked out

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:18 AM   #13

With A pop up we cancelled...no question...no thanks!!
But now with a large tt, flatscreen TV's, if its a close location we will roll the dice.
scottraycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsikes View Post
I have had a second "shake down" trip planned for the last month set for this weekend. Now the weatherman has predicted strong to severe thunderstorms Friday night.

At what point do YOU cancel the trip that's been planned for a month? Night before? Day of? Brave it and roll the dice?!?
T-Storms are never fun in any structure. Since you are going to be inside anyway I would either go out early AM on Sat or check the weather right before your anticipated departure. Eat at home then go if it's moved through. Worst case you just unhook and sleep, then go about your day on Sat.

I am all for camping rain or shine, just don't like severe weather as your stressed and not relaxed waiting it out.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #15

Cancelled. DW just doesn't want to risk it. Big trip planned for June, maybe we'll try again in a few weeks with the Thousand Trails thing.
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #16

We cancelled a trip a while back because of the threat of significant wind. It happens, it stinks, but then there's always next weekend.

Rain and thunderstorms usually won't push us over the edge, but wind is another story. It always rains on us anyway...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #17

Round here, we go "weather" or not. There has been too many weekends where the cg was booked full, but due to the forecast, it was half empty all weekend and the forecast fell through.
Last labor day weekend, you couldn't find a park that wasnt booked full. Well, the weather man said cold, wind and rain. The park we were at, was only about half full and the weather was perfect.
Last year spring and fall, we were supposed to go to Cedar Point, but when we found out we were pregnet, we cancelled those reservations, since the wife couldnt ride the rides. Instead, we went to Ludington state park. THE WEATHER WAS COLD WET AND WINDY. We did spend a fair amount of time in the campers, but it was still nice to have that family time.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #18

I usually won't cancel unless they're calling for rain and wind for the entire duration. Other than that..we go. That's why I bought a TT afterall.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #19

I do not think we have ever cancelled a trip due to weather. We have been in some big storms, never been an issue yet. I always look for safe places to take cover, and if it starts to sound/look really bad, I will check in with the front office or CG host about safe places to take shelter. I have had to take shelter about 4 times over the years.

The hardest part about a shakedown trip is not having a routine, but that is ok too. We have parked in our site, and gone into the trailer, and sat out a storm before setting up. I actually find it very relaxing after a long drive.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #20

We were supposed to go camping this past weekend as well but cancelled. I'm actually glad we did after watching the storms just north of us. (Dallas)

I can deal with the rain... but 70+ mph wind and softball size hail are not my kind of camping trip.
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote