Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #21

One way to prove that you're not living/sleeping in the RV, is to buy a cover and leave it on there. Perception is everything, and if you're going to respond to government agencies, take some pictures of your RV with the cover on it. Then, show them that there is no way you can possibly live in it, when it's covered--thus, not used.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
One way to prove that you're not living/sleeping in the RV, is to buy a cover and leave it on there. Perception is everything, and if you're going to respond to government agencies, take some pictures of your RV with the cover on it. Then, show them that there is no way you can possibly live in it, when it's covered--thus, not used.
As long as I'm not breaking any laws I don't owe anyone an explanation of what I'm doing on my own property.
That's just what my neighbor wants to see... Me out there struggling to get a tarp on my trailer. Jumping through hoops for her amusement.

Not me. I'm not that guy.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #23

If you ignore the building and/or health departments, they will return again, and if you continue to ignore them, may eventually return with law enforcement. Deal with those city departments and create a paper trail of unfounded complaints, so that when she calls them again, they will tell her "there is nothing we can do." Your neighbor is harassing you, not the city who has an obligation to investigate code violation complaints.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
Sorry. Last thing I entend to do is to spend money and do something I don't normally do (cover my RV) to prove to the government what I am NOT doing (living in the RV).
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
As long as I'm not breaking any laws I don't owe anyone an explanation of what I'm doing on my own property.

That's just what my neighbor wants to see... Me out there struggling to get a tarp on my trailer. Jumping through hoops for her amusement.

Not me. I'm not that guy.

I agree wholeheartedly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #26

Reading this post has brought up a few memories, some are good, funny, and not so much so, with friends, family and myself with similar issues. I could add lots of stories.

As an engineer I would start documenting everything. Dates, times, occurrences, any kind of detail. I would talk with the normal neighbors and see if they know anything. It could be difficult to prove your crazy neighbor is has made the complaint(s). In the city I live, you can place anonymous complaints, via the web and phone. I usually do it for graffiti (I hate the sight of Graffiti).

I would contact the city in a peaceful way, inquiring about how they determine someone might be staying in the RV (probing to see if they got a complaint, or was it a random drive by stop), and then politely explain to them that you are not, and ask politely how to make it look more like you are not having someone staying in it. It would be fun to ask the city if you can use the RV as your man-cave to watch TV. It would be an interesting exercise.

In our city the inspectors periodically are required to perform random neighborhood inspections and send out letters to the properties they found issues with. I got hit up for not having address numbers viewable from the alley at my old place. Talking with the neighbors I found a lot of people got some type of notice. In-laws go hit up for a vehicle parked next to the garage without current tabs.

You could be funny, for payback. I know you do not want a cover. But find a cover or some large old school canvas tarps, and tie-dye it some psychedelic color theme (make it really ugly). This way the neighbor has something look at every day and have something real to complain about.

Good luck,

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #27

Quote:
It would be fun to ask the city if you can use the RV as your man-cave to watch TV. It would be an interesting exercise.
Sure would when you get your property tax bill. The city can always use tax revenue.

Personally I would just comply and volunteer nothing.. Thats the best way to deal with bureaucracy. In our neighborhood the old Code Enforcement Officer liked bourbon.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Every situation isn't always as it seems and as an RV owner and Property owner I have empathy for both sides.

As a homeowner I had a neighbor who parked a dilapidated 34' pile of crap RV in the water retention ditch in front of my home as it was the only spot it would fit. When I called the county they said they could do nothing. Meanwhile the guy loses his home to forclosure and begins the process of becoming "homeless" living in front of my house. Again, county won't do anything. I hired an attorney, we videotaped the guy dumping black water on the ground. Tow vehicle is now repossessed by bank. This went on for nearly a year. Once the tags expired, I visitied code enforcement daily, in person and eventually the RV was removed.

This was all under the guise of a guy who wanted to store his RV at home...

It was a year of hell but it I now understand how the other side thinks. It caused me a lot of stress and frustration.

I don't know you or your neighbor, but I'm a firm believer that RV's / Boats should be behind a fence in your backyard and not stored in the drive-way and certainly not on the road.
Your last sentence just made you a lot of friends (end sarcasm). Just because you had a bad experience with an inconsiderate slob with a trashy RV doesn't mean all RVs should be banned from parking on the streets or in driveways. That's throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
I would definitely follow up with the government offices. Find out the email address of the city, county officials that would have jurisdiction over the matter and send them a response to the notices and letters that they have left at your home. This will establish a document trail regarding the issue. Each future notification you get from the governmental organization, include the history (prior email links) at the bottom of the current email so that they can see the history of complaints by your neighbor and may eventually lead them to take action against her. Make it easy for them to see the history behind her complaints. Florida has a "Freedom of Information" law, not sure about your state.

Just a thought

Don

Or, you may want to get an old rusted out piece of junk car (cheap from a bone yard) that is an eye sore with a current tag on it (claim that you want to restore it) and park it in plain view of her house, that should take her focus off of the TT. Warn you neighbors ahead of time... (only kidding)
While I do use emails to establish a paper trial for minor issues, emails may not be admissible as evidence in court, depending on jurisdiction. It would be better to send actual, notarized letters to the officials by registered mail to get a signature for proof of delivery. Keep copies of all correspondence sent and received.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #30

LOL... No RV's in the driveway or boats??

This is a tourist area.. RVs are stored on residential acreage. No fences anywhere The house sized rocks make that very difficult. Every family has a boat or two.. and a couple of snowmachines. Also has acreage with dense forest.. In the winter the fabric garages pop up to protect those vehicles. We have three acres..with no one that we can see in the summer. Our driveway is quite long..

People actually DO live in RV's or an extension of an old RV that has been added onto with perhaps a sloped roof and wooden added on rooms. While it might offend some sensibilities there is a spectrum of incomes here..

Never would I be able to live in a HOA community.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Your last sentence just made you a lot of friends (end sarcasm). Just because you had a bad experience with an inconsiderate slob with a trashy RV doesn't mean all RVs should be banned from parking on the streets or in driveways. That's throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
No where did I state they should be banned, your extrapolating. There's a difference between stored and reasonable usage, such as leaving or arriving from a trip.

Y'all wanna live in a ratted out RV under a lean-to with your truck parked in your yard.... go for it. I don't want it near me. It attracts rodents, inbreds, adult kids with mullets and loud music.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #32

Quote:
No where did I state they should be banned, your extrapolating. There's a difference between stored and reasonable usage, such as leaving or arriving from a trip.

Y'all wanna live in a ratted out RV under a lean-to with your truck parked in your yard.... go for it. I don't want it near me. It attracts rodents, inbreds, adult kids with mullets and loud music.
Wow stereotyping. I dont want to live near you. The people down the block live in that sort of arrangement. They have lost two sons in military combat.

Be proud of yourself.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #33

Quote:

You completely missed the point. You said you don't want any RVs stored on driveways or on the street after you got through complaining about the slob with the trashy RV. You were justified in complaining and I commend you for dealing with the situation but, just because he was a slob with a trashy RV doesn't mean all RVers are slobs and all RVs are trashy nor should it be assumed that they will be.

What's wrong with adult kids with mullets? It's not their hair that matters (they could be wearing purple mohawks for all I care as long as they behave). What matters is if they behave, maintain their property

I don't want a ratted out RV parked in my yard or in my neighborhood. I do not tolerate neighbors making unnecessary noise, such as loud music, and have involved the police in the past. I do not appreciate your unfounded opinion of me (it came across as an insult) just because I'm not as narrow minded as you are. I'm glad I don't have you for a neighbor.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #34

I had a neighbor pull my black tank, valve on a no sewer site. I had a surprise when I went to dump station. I hope someday I run into him, with the front of my truck!
FoxRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #35
Site Team

This thread is becoming very unfriendly. It's very close to being locked. Let's stay on track and stop fighting with each other please.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #36

I do live in a subdivision where we are not allowed to park campers boats or trailers in our driveway and they don't really say anything if we have something there overnight so we can prepare for a trip but most homeowners associations tend to err on the side of caution to keep circumstances like rustys from occurring ... if I had acreage I would probably keep it there but I don't so I pay for outside storage near the lake where I camp and I am fine with it.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #37
Site Team

We have a 3 day rule, any type of RV or boat/trailer can only be on the driveway for a max of 3 days, or you are ticketed. You can have your toys stored behind a 6 foot privacy fence, as we do. It gives you tune to unpack or clean out the boat, before storing it.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:45 PM   #38

Keep it civil please

Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences. It's pretty cool to look at this from so many different perspectives I couldn't have thought of myself.

Believe me I know this subject can get the blood boiling. But please be considerate of others. I think sometimes we try to be funny and light hearted about things others are dead serious about.

I know from spending time on this forum that we all are pretty good people with at least one thing in common... Camping and making good memories!
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:03 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences. It's pretty cool to look at this from so many different perspectives I couldn't have thought of myself.

Believe me I know this subject can get the blood boiling. But please be considerate of others. I think sometimes we try to be funny and light hearted about things others are dead serious about.

I know from spending time on this forum that we all are pretty good people with at least one thing in common... Camping and making good memories!
Agree, that attitude will keep the discussion going. Keeping it civil and posting insults or things to generate hurt feelings will not allow the discussion to run it's course.

There are so many different circumstances that no rules about storing/parking rvs can be universal.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:29 AM   #40

Interesting thread…
I would just like to add that anyone who stores a trailer at home should take the time to go to the city's website and look up the relevant municipal codes (or HOA rules, or whatever governing body applies). In addition to the Jayco we also have a ski boat and a utility trailer. The utility trailer has a spot to sit where nobody (not even me unless I go back there) can see it. There is a second out of sight spot but it only fits one trailer which means that throughout the year either the boat or the Jayco is in the driveway. I've never worried about it since my driveway goes past the side of the house into the backyard and I know I'm following the rules. I even printed out copy and hang on to it just in case. Take the time to learn the rules so when a nosy neighbor mentions something you don't get caught off guard.

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote