Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #1

Awning Lighting

I have been trying to find something that is a bit unusual for awning lighting. I also wanted something that I didn't have to take down every time I rolled the awning up due to high winds and such. A fellow worker and camper suggested this that he has on his TT. He said he is always getting asked about it. He says he put it on when he got it, and has never taken it off. He attached it to the tube that the awning rolls up on, not the awning itself. He has had it for a couple of years now. Do you think that it will damage the awning in leaving it on and rolling it up inside it? He is not a very experienced camper so I am not sure if his advice is the best. Take a look and tell me what you think. http://www.amazon.com/Lycheers-Chang...I32HU6V3PCSHUR
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #2

I have that light strip mounted to my awning tube. It works great. I have not noticed any damage or issue with the awning.

Go for it.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #3

I have these on my awning and love them. Although the color I chose from amazon was warm white with no color changing. I hardwired to 12V with a dimmer switch for more control on nights when I want enough light to see but not take away from the campfire.

It's nice not having to put up and take down lights all the time. The one thing I did was install a plug on the end of the lights so when it rolls up they unplug themselves. They need to be plugged in again in order to work.

Total cost was about $50.00 all in. The awning does not even notice them being there upon roll up. They are only about 1/8 of an inch deep and 3/8 wide.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I have that light strip mounted to my awning tube. It works great. I have not noticed any damage or issue with the awning.

Go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
I have these on my awning and love them. Although the color I chose from amazon was warm white with no color changing. I hardwired to 12V with a dimmer switch for more control on nights when I want enough light to see but not take away from the campfire.

It's nice not having to put up and take down lights all the time. The one thing I did was install a plug on the end of the lights so when it rolls up they unplug themselves. They need to be plugged in again in order to work.

Total cost was about $50.00 all in. The awning does not even notice them being there upon roll up. They are only about 1/8 of an inch deep and 3/8 wide.
Have you guys got pics on how you did this??
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #5

I couldn't find where it said if they were indoor/outdoor lights. Are they made for outdoor use?

Number of Nights Camping - 2013 26RKS
2014 - 18, 2013 - 11, 2012 - 11
Number of Nights Camping - 2012 17Z
2012 - 10, 2011 - 13

Countless nights as kids and young adults in a pop-up, hardside TT and several tents!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #6

I wanted to install lights permanently to my new camper awning.

On my previous Sunnybrook I installed an 18' incandescent rope light on the awning using Awning Hook-Ups. They worked great and lasted for many years. I rolled them up in the awning. It stretched the vinyl fabric slightly, but never caused a hole or tear.

I bought an LED rope light at Wal-Mart that was supposed to be warm white. It was OK, but attracted bugs.

I read on another forum of a 16' weatherproof adhesive LED light strip. The guy claims he installed his 2 seasons ago and is working and sticking to the awning.

Following that lead I ordered the set he listed from Amazon for $39:
Amazon.com: Abco Tech®Waterproof 150 Color Changing SMD5050 LED Lighting Strip Kit RGB 16.4ft +44 Remote: Home Improvement

Similar products can be found on eBay for less.

Packaging is nice. The instructions are not.

The kit comes with a 12V control box with IR receiver. A 120V to 12V power supply, a remote control and 5m (16') of 5050 RGB Flash SMD LED with 3M adhesive backing.

I cleaned the awning tube per instructions with alcohol (rubbing not ethyl). The strip was EXACTLY the length of my awning tube, so no cutting was required. I pressed it down firmly, per instructions. And repeated several hours later. It appeared to adhere well. I secured both ends with zip ties.

Each end has a female plug, so the control box can be attached at either end. The 120v power supply plugs into the control box.

I remove the control box and power supply before retracting the awning. I can easily reach the plug with the awning deployed with a step stool. I have a Dometic 9500 electric awning.

The lights stay attached to the awning tube and roll up. The plugs just extend past the end of the awning and cause no interference to opening or closing.

I use the same light sensor I used with my old rope lights to turn the lights on at dusk and off at whatever time interval I wish they stay on.

The remote allows MANY different colors, fade, flash, dim, and a ton of things I'll never need. When on bright, they are bright! Dim is a soft glow. I can change to a yellow color if bugs are a problem.

So far, I've been impressed. Time will tell how they hold up. But for now, I'm a happy camper.

Here are a few pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2619.jpg
Views:	1001
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	6914Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2620.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	6915Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2622.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	6916Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2623.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	6917Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2663.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	6918
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Old 03-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #7

Thank you sir!

That was very much appreciated, just what the doctor ordered!! And a very neat and clean installation too!
Gerard
Old 03-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Thank you sir!

That was very much appreciated, just what the doctor ordered!! And a very neat and clean installation too!
Loved the pictures so much I ordered a set of lights last night :-)
Bobsanchez44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #9

BTW, can these be cut to length? My awning is 13' on my X23B.
Gerard
Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Yes, they can be cut. The strip is clearly marked where you can cut, about every 4 inches.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #11

Thanks again! That's what I like about this site!!
Gerard
Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Have you guys got pics on how you did this??
The set I ordered was waterproof. There are a few verisons out there and for the extra $5.00 I went with the Amazon set since shipping was 2 day and I could return it very easily through their policies. Some of the cheaper versions only use a tube over the LED's which will lead to issues in the elements. The set I have are installed the same as above and came with 3M adhesive on the back to simply stick them on. Over the LED's is a flexible membrane that encapsulates the entire LED tape keeping it waterproof. I have not tried them yet this season but all last they worked fine.

They can be cut to length at certain 2 ft sections and I would seal them again at the cut with silicone or heat shrink tubing to prevent wicking of water down the board.

Depending on what you choose will depend on the options available. I chose the warm white option and a 12V install so I can use them on and off the grid. The wire is run down my arms and through the wall of the unit to a dimmer switch in my hanging locker. I do not have any pictures of this curently.

If they last 3-4 years I will be happy as the hanging ones seem to get that before something burns out or breaks nowadays. It's an easy replacment since the wiring is there already. I simply roll out the awning and plug in the strip.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Just the question that was in my head! I'm going to give these a try too. Love the idea of not wasting time hanging & removing awning lights on each trip.

Karen, Scott, our daughers (6 and 9), and Finley (Finn) the wonder lab.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X23B
2001 Viking 2485ST pop up
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #14

You would have to check the individual ones that you order, but most say that you can cut them segments, usually every 3 LED without any effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw211 View Post
Just the question that was in my head! I'm going to give these a try too. Love the idea of not wasting time hanging & removing awning lights on each trip.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #15

Thanks all for the information...

And I'm with southpaw, I don't like untangling light cords, etc., when I set-up camp.
Gerard
Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I wanted to install lights permanently to my new camper awning.

On my previous Sunnybrook I installed an 18' incandescent rope light on the awning using Awning Hook-Ups. They worked great and lasted for many years. I rolled them up in the awning. It stretched the vinyl fabric slightly, but never caused a hole or tear.

I bought an LED rope light at Wal-Mart that was supposed to be warm white. It was OK, but attracted bugs.

I read on another forum of a 16' weatherproof adhesive LED light strip. The guy claims he installed his 2 seasons ago and is working and sticking to the awning.

Following that lead I ordered the set he listed from Amazon for $39:
Amazon.com: Abco Tech®Waterproof 150 Color Changing SMD5050 LED Lighting Strip Kit RGB 16.4ft +44 Remote: Home Improvement

Similar products can be found on eBay for less.

Packaging is nice. The instructions are not.

The kit comes with a 12V control box with IR receiver. A 120V to 12V power supply, a remote control and 5m (16') of 5050 RGB Flash SMD LED with 3M adhesive backing.

I cleaned the awning tube per instructions with alcohol (rubbing not ethyl). The strip was EXACTLY the length of my awning tube, so no cutting was required. I pressed it down firmly, per instructions. And repeated several hours later. It appeared to adhere well. I secured both ends with zip ties.

Each end has a female plug, so the control box can be attached at either end. The 120v power supply plugs into the control box.

I remove the control box and power supply before retracting the awning. I can easily reach the plug with the awning deployed with a step stool. I have a Dometic 9500 electric awning.

The lights stay attached to the awning tube and roll up. The plugs just extend past the end of the awning and cause no interference to opening or closing.

I use the same light sensor I used with my old rope lights to turn the lights on at dusk and off at whatever time interval I wish they stay on.

The remote allows MANY different colors, fade, flash, dim, and a ton of things I'll never need. When on bright, they are bright! Dim is a soft glow. I can change to a yellow color if bugs are a problem.

So far, I've been impressed. Time will tell how they hold up. But for now, I'm a happy camper.

Here are a few pictures.

Attachment 6914Attachment 6915Attachment 6916Attachment 6917Attachment 6918
Well Russell now you done it. Based on your excellent post I just bought those lights from Amazon. I'll let you guys know how the install goes after I get them
:hihi:

2010 Jayflight 29RLS
2006 Ford F-250 Superduty 6.0 diesel
Equalizer hitch

Recondite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #17

I should have asked for a commission on LED strip light sales from Amazon....:hihi:
Old 03-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #18

great thread, this is making me think I may need new lights as well. nice set up!
1979 23.5 Okanagan class c
1973 8' Bonair pop-up
tent - not wife friendly btw
OKHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #19

Ok guys I have these on my 5er but if you mount them on the awning tube you still have to get the cord out and plug them in. What I did was mounted them on the side of the 5er just below the awning mounting rail. Then ran the cord up the awning arm bracket in the same spot as the power for the awning. Which on my 5vr runs in to one of my storage bins. Where I have a plug.so all I have to do is grab my remote. You get the same lighting either way.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #20

I thought about doing the same thing as hammer, but my wife wouldn't let me stick them to the side of the camper. I ended up sticking them to the awning tube, but I ran the wire up through the awning arm up onto the roof. Then I ran it over to the fridge vent and down.From there I stuck the controller on the back side of the fridge cover with the IR receiver sticking out of cover. I then picked 12-volt up from the 12-volt that supplies the fridge. These lights are such a small draw, I wasn't concerned about overloading the circuit. That way I don't have to run the converter to go from 110-12 volt and if I really want, I can have lights when not plugged into shore power. Makes it kind of nice when the power pops at the campground - that has happened to us way too many times.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote