Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

Awning mat that doesn't pick up dirt etc

I saw the other post about awning mats, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a mat that isn't just slippery plastic or vinyl, but also doesn't pick up all the dirt and leaves, etc etc?

Thanks!
2 x Golden Retrievers
dangerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #2

Tuning in. I haven't found anything, but hoping somebody on here has.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
Site Team

It may be hard to find one with everything. We have one purchased from a rv rally vendor that is pretty and functional. It does not absorb water and it can be swept easily. Wind blows the leaves off of it but it is heavy enough to not blow away.

I think the fabric came off a roll and seams were sewn on it. I have seen them for sale at other rallies.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #4

We really like our Carefree rv mat
T bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #5

Thank you for the ideas!
2 x Golden Retrievers
dangerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #6

One camping trip when we had our Pop-Up my husband headed to the local campground to get set up for the weekend while I was busy working and was going to join him later that evening. It had rained pretty hard that day and our site was apparently muddy. My husband had a friend who installed carpet for a living so he gave him a call. When I arrived there were about 10 different kinds of carpet, in all types and colors (including some shag) surrounding our little pop-up! I still regret that I didn't get a picture of that (it pretty much rained the entire weekend so I didn't want to stand outside in a downpour to take pictures).
Sorry, I know this doesn't help you with a rug choice, but it made me think of it and smile!
Old 09-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #7

We've had pretty good luck with the cheap one from Walmart. It dries pretty quick after a rain and we just sweep it off when it gets dirty. At 9' x 12', it's big enough for our needs.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #8

I started with the "astro turf" and that lasted about 2 trips. Heavy, trapped dirt and never dried.

I have had for the last 6 seasons a camping carpet and have to say I like that the best. I have yet to slip or see someone slip due to it being wet. The dirt will stick when wet but it dries very quickly and then just a quick flick of the broom and it's clean. They are allowed in CG's due to the pass through of the ventilation and very light to stow. We use two and the scrubby plastic type entry mat at the foot of the stairs to keep the dirt inside down considerably. Also we have Ruggids on the steps and on the landing inside the unit to further trap the dirt.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #9

In our area most of the campsites have a paved pad on which you MUST park both the rig and all vehicles - and it can be a challenge BUT when wet, it isn't a crisis. We got Lowes indoor/outdoor 9x12 for about $15 ... and you don't feel bad when tossing it; it sweeps well, doesn't roll-up or blow away, and when sprinklers get it, it will dry out (especially if laid over the picnic table for a few hours).

Seems to me nothing is perfect, here is my quandary:
- CARPET: How the heck do you roll-up (and later cope with) a muddy wet one? When wet, isn't it heavy and where do you put it so it won't destroy everything else (moisture, mold)?
- INTERLOCKING PATIO TILES: Do you really want take the time to place/lock them? Does furniture slip through them? Doesn't the mud seep up and then how do you clean them before packing them away?
- TARP: Can you really get it tacked-down and flat so it's not a tripping hazard? Then does it rip or get punctured?
- BOOTS: Don't put ANYTHING down, just cope with the muck and keep them UNDER the rig?

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #10

walmart camp rug for us works great ... soma kind of plastic nylon doesn't hold anything... drys quick
Old 09-01-2015, 06:55 PM   #11

We have a large polypropylene mat that we use under our awning. This is the second one we have owned with this one being larger for our newer trailer. They come in different sizes and colours. We regularly sweep off the dirt with a broom and then wash it when we get home. It is quite durable, dries quick and folds easily.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/8-X-1...-p/14-1433.htm
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #12

I just ordered one off Amazon, 9x12 was mostly high rated sort of plastic weave. Saw one at Walmart and it was pretty similar, just not as attractive and price about the same.
"
Reversible Mats 159123 Blue & Black & Gray Swirl Pattern Mat 9'x12'

Scheduled for this week hope to let you know how it worked this weekend.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
We have a large polypropylene mat that we use under our awning. This is the second one we have owned with this one being larger for our newer trailer. They come in different sizes and colours. We regularly sweep off the dirt with a broom and then wash it when we get home. It is quite durable, dries quick and folds easily.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/8-X-1...-p/14-1433.htm
X2. Just about the same thing we have. Bought 2 at camping world. Mostly use just one. Very light weight and easy to shake off the dirt or sweep off. Seems like they were on sale at Camping World for around $49.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #14

Storage Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
In our area most of the campsites have a paved pad on which you MUST park both the rig and all vehicles - and it can be a challenge BUT when wet, it isn't a crisis. We got Lowes indoor/outdoor 9x12 for about $15 ... and you don't feel bad when tossing it; it sweeps well, doesn't roll-up or blow away, and when sprinklers get it, it will dry out (especially if laid over the picnic table for a few hours).

Seems to me nothing is perfect, here is my quandary:
- CARPET: How the heck do you roll-up (and later cope with) a muddy wet one? When wet, isn't it heavy and where do you put it so it won't destroy everything else (moisture, mold)?
- INTERLOCKING PATIO TILES: Do you really want take the time to place/lock them? Does furniture slip through them? Doesn't the mud seep up and then how do you clean them before packing them away?
- TARP: Can you really get it tacked-down and flat so it's not a tripping hazard? Then does it rip or get punctured?
- BOOTS: Don't put ANYTHING down, just cope with the muck and keep them UNDER the rig?
We have a storage bag from Camping World that holds our awning mat. If it gets muddy we just bring it home and hose out the storage bag while we are hosing off the rug.