Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
Thank you everyone for the help. Interesting that you don't use any chemicals, Ken&Ruth.

I live in Vancouver so there's really almost never a deep freeze time. We think it is cold when temperatures approach zero celsius

kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #12
I agree the tanks can probably handle the small amount of water and freeze.... The water that flows down the much smaller pipe to the knife value however is where the risk lies.

I can tell you from very recent and expensive experience.

Jim & Kim from Colorado

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods
I dump the grey/black water tanks before I leave the campground when we are headed home. I put a couple of gallons in the black water tank with an enzyme/deodorizer pouch and I fill my fresh water tanks. I don't worry about splitting hairs and use my freshwater/greywater and black water tanks on the way home as needed. Sometimes we dry camp for a night and we use all the facilities. I store the camper with water in the tanks and have never had a problem. I do drain them for the winter however. Sometimes the black tank may need an extra enzyme pouch. I use a half bottle of a large bottle of lemon juice in the fresh water tank to keep the water fresh. The dealer showed me this and it works even for long periods between uses. I never have to sanitize the water system as the lemon juice keeps it from getting funky. I have read where some people are afraid that their tanks may rupture going down the road when full. This is a bunch of crap. My fresh water tanks are full every time and I have never had a problem and I have never heard of anyone having a problem. People are worried about exceeding weight limits as well. You aren't going to be able to tell towing a fully loaded trailer with or with out the tanks being full. Do you think a couple of hundred pounds is going to make any difference? NOT! If there is going to be a problem it is going to happen if the tanks are full or empty. Vehicle weight rating are very conservative. The SAE working limit and actual limit are very different things! Do you think a truck with a 8k towing capacity is going to break at 9,000 lbs? Well it isn't.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
Hey wwsmith111--really like the idea of putting 1/2 bottle of lemon lemon juice into the fresh water tank. Thanks for the suggestion. Will try it next time out. I like lemon in my restaurant water so this should fit the bill.

2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite
2009 F150 Supercab, 5.4L ,3.73, HD Tow Package, Equal-i-zer 1K,
Progressive EMS-LCHW30, TST 507RV TPMS, Hydro Life HL-200, Maxxis 8008.
Best friend wife and dog Cooper. RETIRED 6/30/16. WOOHOO! Now the "endless summer" begins.
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote