Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #1

Battery charge time

Went out to winterize the TT and the battery was stone dead. (Microwave door was left open ). How long do I need to keep her plugged in to shore power to fully recharge the battery? I was planning on removing it and storing it for the season. Don't currently have a trickle charger. On the wish list.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:46 PM   #2

To the best of my knowledge, the microwave and the light in the microwave are 110 volts and would not run down your battery. I would sooner think the propane and carbon monoxide detector would kill the battery. Usually within 3 weeks. The battery charge circuit in your converter may not charge your totally dead battery, as they are usually only 4-5 amps, but it's worth a try.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #3

The microwave is only 110V. It does not use the battery at all.

It is possible that if the battery is stone dead (zero volts) it may not recover. Your converter is cable of well over 5 amps charging. Likely capable of 20+ amps charge. The newer converters are excellent multi-stage battery chargers. But it may not charge a totally dead battery. Check the spec sheet for the converter that came with your camper.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #4

I didn't think the CO detector would run it down that fast. It was parked for the last 2 months. I usually pull the fuse, but didn't. .............Just realized that I have a battery charge indicator along with the gray and black tank level indicator. I didn't even look at it. I just ran outside mid post and checked it. 2/3 charged after being plugged in for about 24 hours. Yeesh! I hate it when I do that!