Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2015, 07:44 AM   #1

BBQ question

Hey all, I have a Porta Chef portable BBQ that I bring camping. It's just the right size and does the job pretty well. Since it's a smaller unit with a single burner tube, I seem to have hot spots and because of the small size I get fire flare ups since the distance between the grill and the flame is less than a full size.

I'm entertaining the idea of adding some ceramic briquettes below the grill - just setting them on the heat distribution plate above the burner, spaced a bit apart.

Any harm in doing this on a propane grill? Will this accomplish what I'm looking to solve? Thanks in advance.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #2

on my home BBQ, I put lava rocks in the bottom : helps even out the heat, and absorbs grease drippings

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Hey all, I have a Porta Chef portable BBQ that I bring camping. It's just the right size and does the job pretty well. Since it's a smaller unit with a single burner tube, I seem to have hot spots and because of the small size I get fire flare ups since the distance between the grill and the flame is less than a full size.

I'm entertaining the idea of adding some ceramic briquettes below the grill - just setting them on the heat distribution plate above the burner, spaced a bit apart.

Any harm in doing this on a propane grill? Will this accomplish what I'm looking to solve? Thanks in advance.
Ceramic briquettes or lava rocks will definitely help even the heat out.

Prevent flare up? Nope. Need leaner meat for that.

One downside of adding something to the grill: Every time you move it, the rocks will shift. Setting up the grill will have to include taking the grates out and setting the briquettes/rocks back where they belong.

One of my camping neighbors, covers the top grate with aluminum foil to even things out and catch the grease.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote