Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #1

Being effective and efficient at the dump site?

Typically at a full hookup site, on the last day of a trip, I will fill and flush the black tank a couple of times to get it as empty of "remains" as I can. Using the external "black tank flush" hookup is a pretty slow process.

This year we will be ending the trip at a no hookup site. So the odds are I'll be low on water and energy. I really don't want to block the single dump site for a pretty long time filling and flushing the black tank (even if it is only once).

If lucky, I might be close enough to run a hose from the communal campground tap before we leave our site. But otherwise, all I can think of is to haul jugs ahead of time, and dump them down the toilet, run a hose from the fresh water at the dump station into the toilet to fill the tank faster, or to just make all the other RV's wait while I use the external flush.

Any words of wisdom on how to accomplish the deed in a minimum amount of time, that still gets most of the nasties out?
Old 02-16-2016, 05:04 PM   #2

Get what you can out, then add 5 gallons of water or so, and find a dump station on your way or closer to your home. The agitation of the water will help break up any solids left in the tank. You will be surprised how many gas stations etc have dump stations, many times at no cost.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #3

I always try to leave water "sloshing" on my last trip, on the drive home, then I have a place close to the house where I do my final rinse and flush for the season. Check this website for a dump location close to home....
RV Dump Stations
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #4

The dump station at a state park or similar CG is not intended for a "full rinse", and should just be used to empty your tanks. If you leave mid week [advantage #12 for being retired] maybe rinse and flush to your hearts desire, but other wise I like the above suggestion. Dump and use the dump station hose to shoot 4 or 5 gallons of water into the black tank. Many states now have dump facilities at rest areas so you can stop at one of them after driving several miles on the way home. The sloshing is way more effective than just multi fills and flushes.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #5

We usually don't dump when leaving but wait until we get home. Our town has a dump station that can be used for free, so far. That way, the stuff in the black tank will slosh around and hopefully will empty a little bit cleaner than if we had dumped at the campground. We generally also do not put fresh water in the tank until we arrive at the campground, but that's a personal preference, we don't do it to save weight.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #6

Black tank flush is quick, efficient, and effective for me.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #7

I try my best to be at the dump station when no one else is there. That way I can get at least one flush. I also try to have the tank as full as possible before I get there so I don't have to run water in it to get a good flush.

If the line is backing up, I'll do a quick flush (of a full tank) and add in 5-6 toilet bowls of water and treatment. It will slosh around in transit and hopefully pull most of the leftovers down into the liquid and dissolve over time. It's not ideal, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get a good flush at my next destination. Worst comes to worst, and I absolutely have to flush it out, there are a couple RV parks close to home, and a truck stop where I can dump for a small fee. I haven't had to do that yet, but it's in my back pocket if I need it.

ETA: You might try putting a cup of Calgon in the tank at the beginning to help all the "stuff" get out in one swoop if that's all you get. Add some more with water after so the leftovers will move easier.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #8

Here's what I do when dumping at a dump station:

First I try to get to the dump station when it's not busy.

Once at the dump station.
- Connect the hose to the black tank flush.
- Run the black tank flush while dumping the black tank.
- Once the black tank drainage is down to just the the black tank flush water
- Close the black tank valve (to add rinse water via black tank flush)
- Dump gray tank(s)
Note: Watch the Black Tank Level during dumping the gray tank to make sure you don't over fill the black tank. Though this has never happened to me.
- After gray tank(s) have dumped, dump the black tank's rinse water.
- Turn off water & replace dump station hose.
- Allow black tank to finish draining during replacing the dump station hose.
- Close black tank value & pull out of the dump station (if someone is waiting).
Then, when I'm out of the way
- I add ~1-2 gal water and toilet chemicals to black tank, put both in via the toilet. I keep this water-chemical mixture in the black tank until the next camping trip.

During the camping season I always keep ~1-2 gal of water & toilet chemicals in the black tank. I've done this with all the trailers we've owned over the past 15+ years. Between sloshing around when driving and sitting during storage, it has always seemed to help keep the black tank clean. If it's a while in-between camping trips I may dump what's in the black tank once I get to a campground then refill with new ~1-2 gal of water & chemicals.

I only drain the black tank to totally dry on the last trip of the season prior to winter storage. I always try to camp at a full hook-up site for the last trip of the season so I can take my time and clean all tanks out very good.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #9

When there isn't a good flow ow flush water available, or when the hose threads are cut off or damaged, I usually put a removable slide gate on my discharge pipe before I connect the hose. This allows me to dump black tank, close removable gate and open both black and grey valves. This pushes grey water into the black tank. Close grey, then open removable gate to drain black again, then close black and open grey to finish draining it, and the grey flush "flushes" your dump hose. Not the best way to do it, but it works when flush water or a lot of time isn't available.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I also try to have the tank as full as possible before I get there so I don't have to run water in it to get a good flush.
I do the same thing. Anything you can do before the dump station (especially on a Sunday afternoon) really helps out. We try and use the campground facilities as much as possible so we don't accumulate much in there. One thing we've gotten in the habit of doing is dumping our dirty dish water down the toilet which has the added benefit of not filling up the grey tank. I'll make sure on the last morning before we leave to flush the toilet a few times then on the way to the dump station I'll make sure to slosh it up as much as practical. Saves some time and I think the fuller the tank the better the flush.

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #11

Flapper,

Is there full hook up sites at the cg you guys will be at? If so, and you don't need to leave early the last day, maybe you could stop by a full hook up site that is vacant instead of the dump station. Spend a little time flushing the tank, and head home to get the trailer ready for hibernation.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
- Dump gray tank(s)
Have to question this part of your advise.... Instructions for my black tank flush are very clear... DO NOT run the Black Tank Flush with the valve closed. Doing so will pressurize the system and potentially compromise your seals.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Flapper,

Is there full hook up sites at the cg you guys will be at? If so, and you don't need to leave early the last day, maybe you could stop by a full hook up site that is vacant instead of the dump station. Spend a little time flushing the tank, and head home to get the trailer ready for hibernation.
Done this a few times. Much better then feeling rushed.

Typically we leave camp late, so the mad rush at the dump station is minimal, and I can take my time.

I always add a few gallons of water to the tank when I'm done. The sloshing breaks things up, and keeps the tank in good health.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Have to question this part of your advise.... Instructions for my black tank flush are very clear... DO NOT run the Black Tank Flush with the valve closed. Doing so will pressurize the system and potentially compromise your seals.
As long as your tank is properly vented, there is no way that you could pressurize the tank. The vent is at least 1½" diameter, and the flush system, with its spray nozzle(s) to increase pressure, will never overcome that much vent. You CAN cause damage if you leave the spray on and completely fill or overfill the system. Damage will likely be a blown seal at the bottom of the toilet. But if you have a 50 gallon tank, and you know that the spray will only flow 5 gallons per minute (a very high average), then if you leave the spray on for only 5 or 6 minutes at a time (the time that it takes to dump the gray), you know that you will be safe.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Hmmm - there is a sticker on the outside saying to have the valve open, but no warnings in any instructions. I had believed there was a vent that moderated the pressure (other posts about people drastically overfilling and having poo water drip off their roof!). I wonder what the story really is???

These are state park campgrounds. At most there is electrical. No water, no sewer. And will probably be a line at the dump station, hence wanting to not tie up others too long.

Sounds like if I am low on water by the end of the stay, would be to see if my hose will reach to the communal water tap. If not, do what I can, without being there too long. Interesting that in a major metro area (Mpls/St. Paul) there are pretty few dump stations available. May have to run over to a nearby state/regional park the following week day, where I may be able to take more time!
Old 02-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #16

I use a water pressure regulator on my black tank flush input also to protect from dump stations that may have very high water pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3909.jpg  
Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #17

I did a google search, ”white bear lake dump stations” and found the following website that has a small list of private dump stations.
Sanidumps: RV Dump Stations near White Bear Lake, Minnesota within a radius of 20 miles (32 kms)
RV Dump Stations

Mike’s LP service just south of 36 on Frost has a dump station ($), they also carry lots of RV parts in house and make custom LP hoses.

Look at some of the county parks in the area. For example Lake Elmo Park Reserve has a dump station. Rice Creek Chain of Lakes (Anoka County Park) near 35W and 35E interchange has a dump station.

Sometimes I take the scenic route home just to ensure I can pass a state park with a dump station.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Flapper,

I like this idea! There's more than one way to skin a cat!

But if the next occupant rolls up and wants his spot, you could get rushed again ...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #19

I can give you an example of what not to do to be efficient. One of our weekend trips last year there was a long line at the dump station. Super genius guy decides to cut in front of about five people. To really top off his behavior, he had to open the package and assemble the dump hose that he had apparently just purchased. If that wasn't bad enough he topped it again. He finally gets the hose assembled, hooks it to the tank outlet, pulls the black tank valve and off comes the hose. Instead of closing the valve, he decides to try to put the hose back on, which causes the flow to splatter everywhere, including all over his white t shirt. I had to laugh when the guy in the next lane advised that is what he gets for jumping in front of everyone. After waiting in line and dumping our tanks, I pulled into a parking lot so I could run into a bath house and wash my hands. I stuck around to see just how long it took him, 40 minutes from the time he pulled into the lane to the time he left. Just don't be that guy and you'll be fine.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
Here's what I do when dumping at a dump station:

First I try to get to the dump station when it's not busy.

Once at the dump station.

- Connect the hose to the black tank flush.

- Run the black tank flush while dumping the black tank.

- Dump gray tank(s)

Note: Watch the Black Tank Level during dumping the gray tank to make sure you don't over fill the black tank. Though this has never happened to me.

- After gray tank(s) have dumped, dump the black tank's rinse water.

- Turn off water & replace dump station hose.

- Allow black tank to finish draining during replacing the dump station hose.

- Close black tank value & pull out of the dump station (if someone is waiting).

Then, when I'm out of the way

- I add ~1-2 gal water and toilet chemicals to black tank, put both in via the toilet. I keep this water-chemical mixture in the black tank until the next camping trip.

During the camping season I always keep ~1-2 gal of water & toilet chemicals in the black tank. I've done this with all the trailers we've owned over the past 15+ years. Between sloshing around when driving and sitting during storage, it has always seemed to help keep the black tank clean. If it's a while in-between camping trips I may dump what's in the black tank once I get to a campground then refill with new ~1-2 gal of water & chemicals.

I only drain the black tank to totally dry on the last trip of the season prior to winter storage. I always try to camp at a full hook-up site for the last trip of the season so I can take my time and clean all tanks out very good.

Hope this helps.

That's about how i do it as well and it usually goes quickly and seems to work well