Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #1

Best ideas for Trailer Security to prevent theft?

We're taking possession of a new 154BH baja next week (2016) and I want to be as prepared as possible. I'm considering TWO wheel locks (I am going to buy two total, probably two different ones):
1. Brinks 3020-057 Robot Check
2. Trimax TCL65 Robot Check

Also wondering if simply removing the tires and leaving on jack stands while not in use would be a good security measure.

In combination with wheel locks going to get this hitch receiver lock: Robot Check
In addition I'm working on a custom set up that would deliver the equivalent of a static shock when someone touches the door handle in an attempt to open it; and a GPS tracking device hidden within the trailer that reports location in real time & remote video surveillance.

Yes, I take my security seriously. I hate losing my stuff, but having to store my trailer in a location that's not under my direct daily watch will drive me nuts (this is my only storage option).

Any thoughts, tips & suggestions would be greatly appreicated!
Thank you in advance!
armyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
Site Team

When I first read the thread I was thinking ,,,overkill but only you know your circumstances and you have to feel safe.

Hopefully you will get responses from others on here.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #3

I'd prefer to keep things as simple as possible in reality - which is why I'm asking. I've never owned a trailer and certainly not something this expensive that I've had to store somewhere "away" from my daily location.

It's entirely possible there are some very simple things I could do that I'm overlooking or just not aware of that require far less effort (such as just removing the tires and taking them with me - though someone could just bring tires and put them on to take it away).

I live in the SF bay area and things here go missing very quickly. The business I'm in, we see people come all the way from Oakland (I'm mid-peninsula) just to break into someone's house because people here are less likely to be suspect as well as are more "PC" and are afraid to question someone who looks completely "out of place."

For me, it's a better to be safe than sorry kind of thing.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyturtle View Post
We're taking possession of a new 154BH baja next week (2016) and I want to be as prepared as possible. I'm considering TWO wheel locks (I am going to buy two total, probably two different ones):
1. Brinks 3020-057 Robot Check
2. Trimax TCL65 Robot Check

Also wondering if simply removing the tires and leaving on jack stands while not in use would be a good security measure.

In combination with wheel locks going to get this hitch receiver lock: Robot Check
In addition I'm working on a custom set up that would deliver the equivalent of a static shock when someone touches the door handle in an attempt to open it; and a GPS tracking device hidden within the trailer that reports location in real time & remote video surveillance.

Yes, I take my security seriously. I hate losing my stuff, but having to store my trailer in a location that's not under my direct daily watch will drive me nuts (this is my only storage option).

Any thoughts, tips & suggestions would be greatly appreicated!
Thank you in advance!
I would think the Trimax wheel lock and a ball lock would be good. I would also look at investing locking lug nuts cause they could jack up the camper and take the wheel with the lock off. Also I would not take the tires off and leave on jack stands because someone could come with a set of tires and be set to go. Also if the jack stands sink you may not be able to get a wheel back on it.
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #5

Both of the lock options you listed are very good. I would be done at that point, and if stolen, let the insurance deal with it.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #6

Marinco 701b is a battery disconnect that prevents your trailer battery from draining due to your CO alarm and smoke detector being on all the time
You simply turn the knob and it kills the power
The knob then come off with a quarter turn like a key
I have a power tongue jack on my trailer and without power nobody can drag it away
http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_...connect+switch

Consider re keying your trailer as Jayco uses a generic key /lock for it storage area
you may want to only have one key as well
Also the http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...ywords=xchocks

some here suggested drilling a hole in the knob and putting a pad lock on it
Soltice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Is the TT parked by your house? Or, is it in a storage area.

I would think the electrical shock treatment could lead to a law suit if a little kid happened to walk up on your steps, touched the handle and fell back and hit his/her head.

Well, don't forget to add a GPS tracking device with TEXT alert, to the TT also.

As for mine, my house is on the Pinellas Trail (old RR track line) and there is on occasion some undesirable traffic at night. I have a lock on the battery boxes, and 2 on the tongue. I have SimpliSafe Alarm service for $24 a month and I have the option to either have the sensors trigger an alarm with the company or just send me an ALERT to my smart phone. I have a motion sensor in the TT (next to the house) and it is set to alert, so anytime I or DW enter the TT, I get the TXT message. Small city living is fun. I have door/window entry sensors on the privacy gates to the back yard area that are set to ALERT also. We are up in the mountains or on the road 4-5 months each year, and I will get a gate open ALERT, I look at the yard cameras. Usually it is the lawn guys or my neighbor getting vegetable's from the garden.. the good thing is I do not hear from these things 99.999% of the time.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #8

I installed an alarm system ... automotive on mine with a motion detector and put a switch on my door that would set it off should the door be opened... it also with an extra addition sends a signal to my phone should the door open or alarm go off and it has a built in gps locator on it should the trailer move. The service for the phone thing is about 60.00 a year but the last time they broke into it they stole over 1000.00 worth of stuff and I said I would do my best not to let that happen again
Old 03-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #9

Instead of all the $ spent on your security items why not look for a secure storage lot. Some now have 24hr monitoring.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #10

Here's a better wheel lock
Trailer Wheel Boots - California Immobilizer
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltice View Post
...snip
I have a power tongue jack on my trailer and without power nobody can drag it away
Snip...
Manual override? I hardly need keys to get past that. A large screw driver gets me into any storage compartment, no need for keys. Then I even have the override crank that came with the jack.

OP, just a suggestion: you don't need to be the hardest target on the lot, just make sure you're not the easiest. Thieves are lazy, they'll move to the easier targets. I would go with a good hitch lock, perhaps a few locking lug nuts and maybe a wheel lock (even just a good chain draped thru the wheels will work) and a good insurance policy. Changing door locks is also a good idea. As is choosing a storage lot with video surveillance.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #12

Tongue locks are easily defeated. Lots of videos on YouTube showing how little time it takes. Or, they must tie up the hitch to the tow vehicle doing tthe theft. Tongues can also be easily removed.

I would suggest the California Immobilizer

King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #13

There is nothing you can buy that will make it theft proof. As mentioned earlier, just make it difficult to steal. The bad guys will move to something easier.

I would recommend against any booby traps like a shocking system. You WILL be sued. Even if you were to win a lawsuit, it'll cost you more than the trailer cost.

Tuckerdog1
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:47 PM   #14

The trimax will work nicely and a good tongue will keep the tt from wondering off. Also lock up the batteries.

Morelikely someone will try to breaking in. Personally setting up a flashing led in a window running off a couple AA batteries will scare off a potential interuder to a less noisy rig.

It's illegal in most places to setup a trap, and a zap from the door would be considered a illegal.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
I installed an alarm system ... automotive on mine with a motion detector and put a switch on my door that would set it off should the door be opened... it also with an extra addition sends a signal to my phone should the door open or alarm go off and it has a built in gps locator on it should the trailer move. The service for the phone thing is about 60.00 a year but the last time they broke into it they stole over 1000.00 worth of stuff and I said I would do my best not to let that happen again
This wouldn't happen to be the Scytek alarm would it? I have that one on our Odyssey already. If not, what brand/model do you have? This is a good idea.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
Instead of all the $ spent on your security items why not look for a secure storage lot. Some now have 24hr monitoring.
Because storing it here at a facility with 24 hour monitoring costs $356/mo. Yes, that's right - got that quote this morning. Also, damn insurance company won't let me insure the trailer unless it's A) Parked at my home (live in an apartment) or B) kept at a locked storage facility.

So no ability to insure means for me that if it goes missing, I'm out $12k.
I'd rather drop $1k on some security measures that make it a royal PITA to bother with (vandalism or theft).
Old 03-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #17

LOJACK? If someone steals it, you'll get it back. The cops will track it down.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #18
Site Team

It may be cheaper to move somewhere safer!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
It may be cheaper to move somewhere safer!
Nope, not an option.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:50 AM   #20

I'll be using my Trailer Valet XL to "pull" my X213 into its parking spot. This way, no one will be able to hook-up and pull it out. Also, by doing this, my LP tanks, batteries etc will be out of view from our back lane.
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote