Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #1

Best Living Space, Fiver, MH, or Large TT

What provides better living space and accommodations for full-timing, a MH or a Fiver? We have read and heard several people say that the best living space was their fiver, and they wish that they had stayed with a fiver, even though they enjoy their MH. Others prefer staying with a large TT. What are the pros and cons as you see them?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #2

Okay, we're new to this but decided on a TT. Guess it has a lot to do with your situation and preferences. But for just two of us we find the Jayco 28RLS plenty comfortable and roomy. Looked at 5th wheels but didn't see any benefit to the increased cost and tow requirements. Again, it depends on what works for you.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2017 Jayco 28RLS
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2L Gas
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #3

Yes, I hear you. We do not rule out a rear lounge TT. This is all down the road. We could also full-time in a TT like yours, and stay in the less expensive 1/2 ton realm. I guess it's all about desires and what is financially feasible. Is your 28rls "full-timbale" in your opinion?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #4

I think we would be quite comfortable in our 28RLS. We've been out on a couple of week long+ trips and have fared well. I do like the RLS floorplan. It works fine and is comfortable. I could do full time I think.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2017 Jayco 28RLS
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2L Gas
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Yes, I hear you. We do not rule out a rear lounge TT. This is all down the road. We could also full-time in a TT like yours, and stay in the less expensive 1/2 ton realm. I guess it's all about desires and what is financially feasible. Is your 28rls "full-timbale" in your opinion?
We and our two dogs have full-timed in our 2015 27RLS for months at a time, both traveling 3+ months (2015) and as a camp host for 3+ months in one CG (2016). Between those times, we returned to our 'sticks and bricks', primarily for family reasons. We could have easily stayed in the trailer longer. Traveling and stationary, the trailer has worked well for us.

We selected the table and chairs option and we have plenty of storage space without the dinette. We also removed the two OEM swivel rocking chairs and replaced them with a table (DW is an artist) and an Ikea chair.

We also like having two doors. Two doors are rare in a 5th wheel.

Really the only shortcoming for us has been the bed: The full queen size is great, but the mattress support structure was weak and the mattress lousy.

I recall some folks saying they did not like the bathroom layout in the 2015 27RLS (a pass-through from the main area to the bedroom). We have had no problem at all with it and like the additional storage it offers.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #6

In my opinion, unless you go with a higher end MH your better off with a FW or TT.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #7

We went from a class A coach to our current 29RKS. (we have previously owned - in truck camper, pop up, TT & 5th wheel(s), before the coach) We found that the front end of the coach - the first 6' - dog house and driver/passenger seats - basically unusable or not "living space" friendly. So we went back to the TT, which for us was the most living / travel friendly combination for our usage requirements.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #8

The MH is nice if you go high end, otherwise I switched from MH to FW because there was almost no usable cargo capacity on anything that was affordable, and had a large floor plan. I traded the MH for the FW for two reasons. First, with a toddler now we are spending a LOT more time stationary than driving. The real benefit in the MH for us was the use of the kitchen and such while driving. Second was cost. In the 40 foot range, either I could spend half a million a DP (which isn't an option for me if I'm not planning to full time) or I could get a 1,000 usable cargo capacity, if that.

Granted I've only had a couple months use of the FW before winter hit, but I have no regrets with it. Storage space is huge, cargo capactity for travelling is a lot more reasonable than a gas MH, and the price difference between the MH and FW leaves me enough money from the budget to do pretty much what ever I want to the FW and still be ahead of the game, including the cost of a used dually TV to pull the FW.
RayPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #9

Having never owned a fiver or a MH but have owned travel trailers since 1983, SWMBO and myself have had this conversation. As much as we have fallen in love with motorhomes owned by friends, we would opt for a truck & trailer. This is due to not having to move a motorhome to go shopping or dragging a small vehicle behind the motorhome. With a trailer, only one engine and drive train to maintain.

Just my advice is worth what you paid for it

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Having never owned a fiver or a MH but have owned travel trailers since 1983, SWMBO and myself have had this conversation. As much as we have fallen in love with motorhomes owned by friends, we would opt for a truck & trailer. This is due to not having to move a motorhome to go shopping or dragging a small vehicle behind the motorhome. With a trailer, only one engine and drive train to maintain.
In MI we lived next-door to an older couple that had been campers for virtually all their lives. In the 15 years we lived next-door to them, they went from a TT and truck, to MH and toad, and back to a TT and truck for the same reasons you listed, Murff.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
....and stay in the less expensive 1/2 ton realm......
I've read statements like this plenty of times in the past and have never understood it. The 250/2500/350/3500 are not really that much more expensive than a half ton. I realize that a diesel increases the price quite a bit, but stack the trucks up, optioned similarly, and I don't think you see the price difference that you suggest.

Out of curiosity, I just priced out a F-150 Lariat with the 8cy gas engine and a F-350 Lariat with the gas engine (both equipped as comparable as possible) and they came out within a few hundred dollars of each other.

And to stay on topic - I, personally, would choose a fifth wheel for living space. The only upside I see with a motorhome is the ability for everyone but the driver to use the bathroom, kitchen, etc while in motion. Outside of that, I think you get much less for much more $$$. Add increased insurance and registration costs to that as well.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #12

Me, my wife and 3 kids have an eagle 324bits tt. We love it. However for the past 1 1/2 years it was 2 kids. Now it getting a little cramped. I should also mention we are pretty much full time, 8-10 months a year. We are now looking into a FW, maybe the NP377, . But we've been in a tt full time, it works with the right floor plan.

2015 Jayco Eagle Primier 334BHTS
2012 F250 Lariat cc fx4,2016 F350 cc flat bed
Pipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote