Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #1

Best roof mount automatic satellite ant.

Can anyone recommend a good unit? I want something automatic so I can watch tv for an hour say at a rest area. Rather not have to hand crank. I'ld like to use my Dish receiver from home. I have dual-tuner DVR boxes. I know some (tailgater) need a specific box (211?) to be powered from. Heres some I found. Thanks. Winegard Pathway X1 DISH HD Portable Satellite TV Antenna(PA-2000) from Solid Signal Winegard Pathway X2 Antenna with ViP 211z Receiver PA6002R B&H KING Relay - Roof Mount Satellite TV Antenna - Black - Refurbished Carryout G2 Portable Satellite Antenna - White-pplmotorhomes.com
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #2

Oh, forgot to mention, I'll have 2 tv's but dont care about them being on different channels at the same time
Old 03-30-2015, 09:23 AM   #3

Since you already have DISH at home I would go with the Pathway since it is already set up for the DISH box. If the have an optional ladder mount I would go with that then you can easily move it if you but another trailer/fw. The Pathway and Carryout are probably the same except the Carryout is set up for DIRECT, but can be changed to use DISH.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #4

Thanks, Grumpy...... I've been doing a little research and from what I can tell, the roof mounted units might not be as good an idea as I had thought. Seems they have to be within 3 degrees of level to work. At least the one I watched in the you tube tutorial. Other thing is if you have the unit permanently mounted to the roof and get a campsite with alot of trees, you might not get reception where you want to park. The portable ones like tailgater or similar may be a better choice since you can put them in different spots to get the satellites. They also seem to take a while to find and lock in the satellites and be watching TV. So for a quick stop at a rest area it may not be worth the trouble.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:31 AM   #5

Rick, When I purchased my 5er, I had the Winegard Dish HD 1000 (I forget the model) installed on the roof and wired for three locations in the RV, (bunk room, living, & bed room) I then take my receivers from my house. The dish only takes a couple minutes to find and lock on the the satellites. Yes, just like at your house, one has to have a "clear view of the southern sky". At the limited campsites I've been to thus far, that has not been a issue. Also, I've never has a issue with level thing. I just park, lf the bubble is close, I say Okay, and the dish finds the satellites.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote