Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #1

Best RV GPS

Wanting to buy GPS for RV'ers. Maybe this has been asked more than once but what are you using and what works best?
rcdurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #2

Don't know about the BEST, but I bought the Rand/McNally 7" RVers GPS (can't remember the model number). It was cheaper than the Camping World version and virtually the same thing. I have used it on several trips and it never let me down. I really love the warning it gives you when you exceed the speed limit. I don't normally speed in the Greyhawk, but speed limits change as you enter different areas and it adjusts to the new speed zone within a few yards and lets you know. Lots of features such as guiding you away from roads that have overpasses that are too low. In other words, I'm happy with mine.
Widewader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdurango View Post
Wanting to buy GPS for RV'ers. Maybe this has been asked more than once but what are you using and what works best?
I use the Magellan® RoadMate Pro RV9145. After buying several "Non-RV" GPS models, I found the best to me is the Magellan® RoadMate Pro RV9145.

Please, Please DO NOT go cheap and get a Costco NON-RV gps or you will find yourself stuck on a 1 lane road (1 lane for both ways) and no way to back up. Or a bridge you can't go under. Really scary!

I purchased Magellan at CW and actually had a problem with my first unit (my fault) and when I contacted Magellan CustSrv, they were great. Got a new model sent to me within the week. They also include Life-time map updates!

On my Jayco 2015 Grayhawk, I have a GPS on the Jennings infotainment setup. Still will use my Magellan. And, that's my 2 cents worth of input!

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #4

I have the rand McNally 7730 lm got it on amazon and so far I love it
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #5

Thanks for info fellow campers and keep it coming. So far reviews on these products make it very hard to pull the trigger on any of them.
rcdurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #6

I've got the Garmin Dezl 7" marketed as an RV GPS. I tried out the Rand using their "app" of the same thing to an iPad, first. For me, the Garmin was a bit more understandable in operation, with more options allowing customization of the display.
After actual use (Minn to Maine and Minn to Calif/Oregon) I'm pretty happy with it. It is really a truckers GPS, so some of that shows through more than some may like. And like all GPS's, it gets a bit confused at times. Neither of the brands does a very good job of telling you why it is avoiding a particular route- although with the Garmin I was able to dig down and find out there was a low overpass a 100 miles ahead, etc. where I never did figure out how to do the same with the Rand. But it is not something you'll want to do while driving! They both seem to be about as good (and bad) as the other in warning you about RV obstructions coming at you - overpasses, propane, and road restrictions. Nice to have, but definitely not to be your only source of information!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
They also include Life-time map updates!
Lifetime map updates are a must regardless of the brand you purchase. Outdated map data makes a GPS much less useful.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #8

We use Garmin and purchased the lifetime updates - never had a problem.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #9

Does an RV GPS give height warnings, restrictions for roadways, tunnels and bridges where RV are not allowed?

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
I use the Magellan® RoadMate Pro RV9145.

Please, Please DO NOT go cheap and get a Costco NON-RV gps or you will find yourself stuck on a 1 lane road (1 lane for both ways) and no way to back up. Or a bridge you can't go under. Really scary!
Couldn't disagree more to this statement. A simple Garmin with free map updates AND a little forethought before heading into a new area will serve you very well. GPS, big and fancy RV specific or regular ones, are not intended to be "auto pilots". You are warned not to depend blindly on the devices. With all that, any GPS is only as good as the data in its program.

I use a garmin [no voice command or starwars features] and always spend 30 minutes or so the evening before the next days drive looking over a paper map and getting a general familarity with the route. That way if the GPS tries to route me thru a residential area or narrow windy road, I can override and take a more appropriate route. The key to using any GPS is to understand the features and how to use the data. Just programming in an address and then going is a recipe for disaster even with a $1000+ GPS.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #11

I bought an RV 6" TomTom GPS from Amazon this summer and couldn't be happier with the way it performed. Went 8400 kms with no issues this summer. I found it very easy to use and the 6" screen was a perfect fit on my F150 dash. The price was around $190 with free delivery.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1