Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #1

Best Time To Buy Your Jayco

does anyone have an opinion as to when is the best time to get the best prices...month,time of year..?? we are looking to purchase a new jayco and wondering if we should wait till spring or is the winter months a good time..how about at the rv shows..do they give good deals??
iluv2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #2

End of season is usually the best time... or if you will take whats on the lot leftovers from last season.... in the spring...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #3

HIya iluv2camp and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum! A good place to start would be RVdirect. Get a quote from them first and work from there. Depending on the season, you could try and contact the dealers that post on Ebay for a quote (make sure you know the options you want ahead of time). Take that quote with you to the RV shows or your local dealer. If you work with the local dealer, go straight to the internet manager who will be able to work you a better
"deal" than starting out with a salesman. You aren't happy right now with the results (based on the lowest quote), then try taking the quote back again in winter...etc. Good luck and happy shopping! And definitely come back and tell us what ya wound up doing/buying!!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #4

thank you

for your advise..I'll tell you I can't wait for this winter to come and go..can't wait to start camping in a new trailer...
Old 11-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #5

Definately know your prices of both used and brand new. And know your products as well... End of season is often best time to get great prices on older stock. For example, great price on a 2010 model when the 2011 models first come out (which is usually starting in the late fall of 2010).

My one friend got a great deal at our regional RV auction. He bought 2 year old used but being an RV auction, he got it for 1/3 the price. Previous owner had it, lost his job and couldn't pay for it anymore. Thus, up for auction (like the many other RV/TT units at this place) and got it for a steal. No warranty but he was able to buy much more product then he originally could afford. He's a DIY person (like me) and no warranty doesn't bother him either.

If buying from an RV dealer, do have your "options" firmed up as well. For my 2006 Jayco 29FBS (bought 1.5 years "pre-owned" from my local dealer), I should have negociated in the following "extra" items during time of its initial purchase:

A - Include spring loaded awning for over its long slide. aka: Slide Topper. I originally wanted it but my RV dealer talked me out of it. I should have "stuck to my guns" and held my ground. Today, the top of my slide looks like: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_0358.jpg

B - 2 x large scissor jacks - installed in the middle (just infront of the wheels). These extra adjustable jacks in the middle of TT removes center "up/down bounce. Especially on long frame TTs. re: http://rvtravel.com/blog/rvnow/uploa...865-772408.jpg

C - Include X-Wheel chokes - to be installed between the wheels - to stop natual back/format movement. re: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...k-2-pack/49876 & http://images.campingworld.com/is/im....32,.3&opac=20

D - I should have ensure our TT came with an AC cover. Being a pre-owned unit, I assumed it came with an AC cover - like our previous used smaller TT. After delivery, I discovered its AC cover is "extra". re: Not written in the sales contract thing. If known, I would have "negociated" a mandatory AC cover in the purchase deal as well.

E - To me, all RVs much have Surge Protection. Even basic Surge Protection is better then nothing. Afterward delivery, I had to buy / install my own 110/120 30A Surge protection device as well. re: Surge Guard 30A "hard wire" unit (as minimum) at: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_2043.jpg Knowning what I know today, I should have "negociated" Surge Guarge unit in the negociations as well.

F - I find our fridge stuggles "too much" in the extreme heat wether. For my TT, I installed a 12V fan with manual off/on switch behind its fridge. Thus, creating more air flow across its coils. For our next trailer, I'm going to negociate a 3rd party RV rear Fan fridge into the deal. re: http://www.pacificrvparts.com/Produc...CategoryID=151

Tips:
- My RV dealer kept emphasising how wonderful our TT's factory side wall attached grill is. To this day, we've yet to use this factory grill. To me, the grill's heat source is too close to the outer TT's wall. Thus, we use a portable grill instead.
- Our TT's factory sourround sound system sounds cool. One day, my disabled son broke its CD tray and we replaced with a "disc-less" media server. If into disc-less media (re: music & movies in electronic storage format), the Patriot Media Box or WD Live! Media Server can be connected / used instead. NO sorround "sound" but NO moving parts either. To me, NO moving parts in much better for kids. Especially for kids who don't know their own physical strength.
- Having trailer's with a bow shape roof is much better then perfectly flat roof. A Bow shape roof allows the rain water to run-off much better. Flat roofs tend to "pool" water and over time, they have a higher risk of leaking. Especially in their dip / pool area.

Also... Keep a close eye on window seals. Many of the trailer factories are now going with "dry fit" windows. They use a rubber / foam gasket and after year 3, this "dry seal" starts to leak. If wondering, 3 of the 11 of my 2006 Jayco windows started to lead (and I didn't even know it). To "make better then factory", I removed every window, removed this rubber seal, applied real "soft seal" between TT wall and window's inner lip and re-installed the window. Did 2 x windows every weekend and it time, all 11 windows were re-sealed - the proper way. If looking at new or use, do focus on their window seals as well. Luckily, simple DIY projects (like this) don't scare me. But for some, this "better then factory" upgrade is too much work. Long story short... Dry Fit windows don't work in the long run. Either avoid this type of window install method or be prepared to get it done right.

Hope this helps in your research and product selection as well...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #6

Doesn't really matter when you buy, just take 30% off their price and make an offer. If they take it you made a good deal if not move on to the next dealer.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #7

I was told by RV Direct Jayco has a mid year price increase in May. I purchased my TT in Dec from them, it was built in Feb and delivered in March. A previous dealer in Indiana told me on Dec 20 the prices were increasing, I did not want to go to Indiana to complete the deal so I contacted RV Direct. On Dec 22 I went to RV Direct and made my purchase, it was cheaper than the Indiana dealer and there was no price increase at year end.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #8

thank you for all replies..I did get a quote from rv direct and they were over $2000.00 more then what a dealer quoted us...wondering if we should just go with that and quit shopping around..we have not found anything cheaper..actually the jayco site we did find it cheaper..we will bring that quote with us and see..but we would have to go and pick it up and then who would do the warranty work if needed or repairs..one dealer already said he would charge alot more if we did not buy it from him
Old 11-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2camp View Post
thank you for all replies..I did get a quote from rv direct and they were over $2000.00 more then what a dealer quoted us...wondering if we should just go with that and quit shopping around..we have not found anything cheaper..actually the jayco site we did find it cheaper..we will bring that quote with us and see..but we would have to go and pick it up and then who would do the warranty work if needed or repairs..one dealer already said he would charge alot more if we did not buy it from him
I expect that the dealer who told you that will honor whatever Jayco will allow.
Authorized dealers perform maintenance on all Jayco or whatever regardless whether they were bought from that dealer or not. I have unfortunately had to take my Jayco to an authorized dealer and have seen many people come in off the road and get their Jayco's fixed so i would say he is blowing smoke!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #10

Best time of the year is when you go in with the attitude you don't really need "it". But seriously, for me- it was late August/early September. They were begining to Winterize and were already conceeding that their inventory was not moving again till spring.
mtkeg15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkeg15 View Post
Best time of the year is when you go in with the attitude you don't really need "it". But seriously, for me - it was late August/early September. They were begining to Winterize and were already conceeding that their inventory was not moving again till spring.
I agree. We bought ours the 2nd week of Sept. When we bought our used 2006 Jayco, my wife & I had a price "in mind". And, we stuck to our guns. We didn't budge. After 30 minutes of back and forth at my local RV dealer, my wife pulled a piece of blank paper out of her purse, wrote down our name, tele number, our "firm" price, and we both walked out. Two days later, the RV Sales Rep's MGR called us at home - to match the price my wife wrote down. Regardless of time of year, stick to your guns and if needed, walk away. If you are offering far market value (even for a used RV/TT), stick to your guns. And, they most often call you back as well. And if they don't call you back, that RV/TT wasn't for you.

Worked for us....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #12

There's several things to consider IMHO on the best time to buy. I agree the end of season is the best if you are content with a floor model or dealer stock that meets all your criteria for the best deals. I could not find a floor model with the right configuration and options that I wanted at the time I was ready to buy. Jayco has been offering the premier interior options free (incentive) for all new ordered Eagle 5'ers with the corian tops, power vents, upgraded bedding and recessed lighting. That was $2500.00 which may still be a free option told. I was told by my local dealer this was only through Sept. at the time I was shopping around. Turns out he lied, as it was still availble in Oct. so take what the salesmen tells you in the pressure sales pitch with a grain of salt and check around on the incentives or price increases as others before me eluded to.

Another thing is if you have a trade or if your going into the deal with no strings. Dealers like clean new deals so they might work better with pricing based on that. I was in the middle at the time and went with RVdirect for my 2011 365BHS. They at the time had pricing at 75% of the other dealers on average and the leftovers at variuos dealers did not have all the same interior options that we wanted. They were going to take my trade in at the time of the contract and were fair on the offer. I sold it outright while the new unit was being built and came out better than the orginal deal so I lucked out.

I picked up my new unit last weekend at the Albany location and have to say it was very smooth and the guys in the yard went the extra mile to get me on my way safely. They provided me with what I needed without nickle and diming you as some of these guys can and talked me out of some optional equipment purchases that they said were not worth their salt. Depending on where you are they will delvier the unit to you as well.

Car's or RV's I seem to always find Aug-Sept as the best time to hit deals since the next years production is hitting and last quarter sales number pushes are in effect. You usually find good plant incentives too since they want to keep assembly lines moving and get new units sold in a slower period of sales.

If you do order a new unit bank on 8-10 weeks until you get it espcially in the winter months since there will be weather dealys with shipping. Also the larger the dealer the better the price sometimes since they go on volume deals with manufactures and they need to hit those numbers to keep the contract prices. And like mtkeg15 said when you don't need it and you can walk away from the dealer. Keep your heart out of it, you loose all your leverage.
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #13

I just bought a 2009 37RLQS. It was still a new rig but due to economy it had not sold yet. We got it for $25,000 off sticker. Id go online and try to find one there that is a couple years old sttting on the lot never sold and really get a deal! Good luck!
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #14

I purchased both my RV's at the show in Boston. No better way to compare features and cost of different models in such a small area. I think I got good deals both times and if/when I upgrade again I will most likely take the same approach
yorkgm is offline   Reply With Quote