Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2016, 03:52 AM   #1

Big Bend National Park

Great time!!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #2

Big Bend National Park

Love Big Bend. We spent a week there last April. Canoed the Rio, hiked and took long drives. Stayed at an amazing RV resort just outside the park that was all but empty.
Are you there NOW? I didn't think anyone ventures into Big Bend in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Love Big Bend. We spent a week there last April. Canoed the Rio, hiked and took long drives. Stayed at an amazing RV resort just outside the park that was all but empty.
Are you there NOW? I didn't think anyone ventures into Big Bend in the summer.

We came home this last weekend. That picture was at the Lajita's RV Park and Resort.

There was no one there. Their season is from Oct-May. It was a bit on the warm side but I was able to snap that pic about 6am one morning.
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Old 06-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #4

That's where we stayed as well - really interesting place. From what a staffer told us, that whole resort (hotel, restaurants, shops and RV Park) went bankrupt simply because too few people would drive that far across Texas and the Big Bend area to stay there.
They also had sold some lots for housing.
A wealthy individual that owned a home there loved the area and the resort so much that he bought it out of bankrupcy. He runs it as a loss (I'll be a pretty large loss) just to keep it around for his use.
We found it fantastic but even in April it was Hot. Everybody said it's the perfect Thanksgiving or Christmas get away.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 06-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #5

Hi. Hope someone can give me a little advice about Big Bend National Park. We were thinking of driving through Big Bend on our way back from Albuquerque in October. Is that something I could do in 2 days if I needed to...or would it be ridiculous to try? Was hoping we could spend a night in Fort Davis...then drive through Presidio to Terlingua and spend the night, and then finish driving through the next day and stay in Fort Stockton. I know that is a lot of driving but wasn't sure I would regret not at least driving through when I am so close...not sure when I will get back that way...maybe never. Any opinions?
Old 06-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #6

Big Bend National Park

I don't know about big bend as we have it on our list of CGs to visit, but I do know that you cannot pull a camper longer than 24' (I think). The roads are too narrow and winding. Also, it is not full hook up and they have limited water supply as they often restrict water usage.

I can tell you that Ft. Davis is great! Plan a trip to the observatory while you're there. The state park has full hook ups. Make sure your tv is in tip top shape. Pulling a big camper up a tall mountain puts a lot of strain on your truck. (Ask me how I know)

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #7

Big Bend National Park

[emoji3]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:11 PM   #8

Awsome i was telling DW we need to take the kids out there, maybe oct/nov?
Old 06-28-2016, 07:27 PM   #9

DeeBee,
That would be a "Family Vacation" type visit - you know, the one where they pull up to the Grand Canyon, look from left to right, get back in the car and leave.

It is a long drive and you'll miss a lot of the beauty if you don't take time to drive down to Boquillas, take the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive down to the Rio and the Santa Elana Canyon (all dirt but good condition), Take the road into the Chihos Mountains, etc.

On the main road 118 down to Terilinqua and back out again on 385 you'll see about 10% of the park. Mostly you'll see the desert part and miss the really cool parts. You'll wind up thinking "what's the big deal with this place.

And it is a LONG drive - deceptively long - gas up when you leave the expressway - its few and far between and more expensive in the bend.

If you do decide to go - the Mustang RV park at Lajitas is an incredible (some say only) place to stay.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 06-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #10

THANKS SO MUCH! Truly appreciate the advice...maybe we can work it out to try to spend a few more days!
Old 06-29-2016, 07:55 AM   #11

DeeBee,
Sounds like a great trip. Big Bend is a place we would like to visit also but will wait until Fall/Winter. You had mentioned Fort Stockton, I highly recommend Fort Stockton RV Park. It is a former KOA so you will recognize the building. It is off of I10. We stayed there when we had our pop up and we didn't really hear any road noise. It was a super clean park and bathrooms, nice people for great couple night stay park. Just remember you are in a desert area of TX.

Enjoy your trip. Off topic, I went to college in Rensselaer, IN and used to travel to Valpo to stock up on popcorn at the Orville Redenbacher store. It got me through many finals and late night studying. Loved Valparaiso.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #12

Thanks for the info about Fort Stockton!! Info like that makes the planning easier! Does anyone know if I actually need to travel with extra gas in a container out that way?
P.S. Valparaiso is a very nice community! Popcorn Festival every September!
Old 06-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #13

Ft. Stockton is a small west Texas town. It has fuel, restaurants, motels, and some shopping.

I always carry a 5 gallon can of fuel when towing our fifth wheel. This is especially a good idea in this part of west Texas, but I wouldn't say you have to if you are prudent. You'd find fuel in BB park at Panther Junction and at the Rio Grande Village store. When I'm traveling in the BB region, I generally fill up with fuel at every chance.

Food and snacks are expensive in the Park. There is a restaurant - acceptable but rather mediocre - in the Chisos Basin.

BB is a BIG place; the research you are doing will help you figure out what in the park you are especially interested in seeing. Check the NPS BB web site.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:40 AM   #14

Thank so much, RVhiker! Appreciate yours and everyone else's insight and info. You can read many things but getting info from people that have "been there, done that" really helps! We can't wait to make the trip...just hoping October is a good time to go. Noticed on the website only one visitor center will be open. Everything really opens in November...
Old 07-04-2016, 08:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee View Post
Thank so much, RVhiker! Appreciate yours and everyone else's insight and info. You can read many things but getting info from people that have "been there, done that" really helps! We can't wait to make the trip...just hoping October is a good time to go. Noticed on the website only one visitor center will be open. Everything really opens in November...
We went in early June. Not too many people there. It's their down time. Their season is from October to May.

If you get to Fort Davis, do plan on the visit to the Fort Davis Historical Landmark and be sure to visit the McDonald Observatory!! The Star Watching Party is only available three nights a week!! Watch the schedule and book early!!

Also, if you have picky eaters, not much to choose from as far as restaurants go. Closest McDonalds is in Alpine, TX!!

Lajitas (20 miles from Big Bend NP) has a pretty cool General Store. They have groceries and whatnot.

Have a safe trip!!

Brian
Equil-I-Zer WDH