Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #1

Bikes For Retired Parents......

Our camping parents are mid 60's. I've never seen them ride bikes before but my Mom recently expressed interest in riding a bike when camping and also possibly when at home. They're both not the slimmest of people anymore and could shed a few pounds.

My Dad mentioned something about beach cruisers. I know most are single speed without gears but I think gears are better for whatever hills they might encounter. They're not going to encounter any kind of crazy hills in their cycling though.

Being that they haven't ridden in a long time (I'm 34 and don't remember them riding), I think a tricycle is a better option. I've talked to my brother and sister about this and they think the tricycle is a better option for safety reasons.

Any thoughts? It looks like a SS trike goes for about $250. A geared trike is a little more and a geared folding trike is about $370. The geared folding trike might be good since they camp a lot.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #2

I'm 65. I'm sure your parents appreciate your thoughts which have their interests in mind. That said, I think that a conversation with your parents is in order too see what type of bicycle they see as best for them. Perhaps your research into the type of bicycles available would help them to make their own decision.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I'm 65. I'm sure your parents appreciate your thoughts which have their interests in mind. That said, I think that a conversation with your parents is in order too see what type of bicycle they see as best for them. Perhaps your research into the type of bicycles available would help them to make their own decision.
I'm trying to. lol I love bikes and actually have 4 of them, each serving a different purpose. I'm just trying to gather some information to make a good decision. I plan to run everything by them so they don't just jump into it and make the wrong decision.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #4

Electra Townie 3I or 7D would by my recommendation. Very upright, flat foot, geometry is very comfortable. Somewhat of a cruiser styling, but more of a hybrid.

My folks (65 & 67) would be very insulted if I bought them trikes.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #5

I don't have access to the camper right now. Could someone tell me the dimensions of the bike carrier on our 26RLS?

Old 01-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #6

There are lots of used bikes and trikes on Craig's list, at yard sales & thrift stores. It's a good place to start if you are not sure about what you want. No big loss if stolen, damaged or doesn't work out.

Then go to the bike store and buy a good quality bike, knowing it's what you like and that you like riding.

My other advice is to go to a real bike store that let's you try out different bikes to see how they feel. It makes a big difference to have a bike that fits well.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFoxy View Post
Then go to the bike store and buy a good quality bike, knowing it's what you like and that you like riding.

My other advice is to go to a real bike store that let's you try out different bikes to see how they feel. It makes a big difference to have a bike that fits well.
Very good advice.

I'm going to be a "young" 63 next month and I've been wanting a bike as well. I plan on going to a bike store and have one fit for me (I'm 6'3"). One of the main things I'm looking for is a nice wide comfy bike seat! None of those skinny ones that will go up in the crack, if you know what I mean!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
Site Team

IMO trikes are to heavy to break down and transport unless that is the only way they can ride.

I would try some out ans see what they feel comfortable riding before making any big investments.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #9

[QUOTE=clubhouse;168488My folks (65 & 67) would be very insulted if I bought them trikes.[/QUOTE]

My parents are much older than that now, but when they were in their 60's , it would be a slap in the face to buy them trikes... You might not like the next sweater you get for Christmas...

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #10

I should add that we are both mid-sixty's and are fine with bikes. Trikes would be harder to take with us and probably limit the places we can ride.

Our choice for bikes was a compromise between street and dirt. Wider tires with some grippy, but not knobby, tread along with a good range of gears. Even when the ground is flat you can face a stiff headwind so lower gears are good to have.

I also have a 40 year old 10 speed with narrow street tires. I thought it was still great until we went looking for a new bike for Nan. But after hopping on a new one to go along on Nan's test ride, I was hooked on how much more comfortable it was and how much easier it war to ride. We both left the shop with new bikes.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #11

I am 65 and I have two fold-up bikes from Camping World. One is a 1 speed and the other is a 6 speed. Wish they were both 6 speed. I did replace the seat on one for a larger padded seat. They are great!
jadwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #12

My DW and I bought bikes a couple of years ago to ride on the Rail to Trail system in central PA. We purchased what they call comfort bikes which have the bigger seat and just a seven speed shifter on the handle bar grip. The manufacture of the bike is Giant. They are a great bike and no problem so far.
paflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #13

I would let them get the beech cruisers. They wont be doing hills anyway. Trikes are too big to fit in most RV's
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #14

We are both in our 60's and started riding bikes about 5 years ago. Started with cheap comfort type bikes then quickly went to hybrid bikes from a local bike store (still have those and use them). Then we started really riding and purchased some mid-range road bikes and by the time we were up to 100 miles/week we purchased some carbon frame bikes (expensive but worth it). I also have a good single speed bike that I love and it would be the last bike to leave my house. So my suggestion is: look for used good quailty hybrid bikes and find some flat trails and then see if the bug bites.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #15

I'd pick up a pair of hybrid bikes. They have fatter wheels, flat bars and a more upright position. Whatever you do, don't cheap out and get a walmart special. Those are junk and are not fun to ride. They also weight a TON! They don't shift right and they are put together by folks who don't care. Like eldermike recommended, used hybrids would be a good option.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #16

Agree with the box store bikes, skip them, they are designed for 500 miles lifetime and most of them will never see that. That's a few weeks for me.
For a fun day riding bicycle trails (flat, easy paved trails) you can't beat a good hybrid bicycle, both of ours have 10K plus miles on them now. Never had a single issue with them other than several sets of tires and the normal cleaning of chain and gears.

For distance you can't beat a good road bike (10 speed) and you can get them setup for more comfort than a race setup type bike. I run tourning tires (700X28) on my road bikes because I hate flats. I do run the tiny aero seats because after riding a few years you don't notice the seats. I run clipless pedals but my wife runs comfort bike pedals and has no issues keeping up.

Everyone goes through the big fluffy seat phase when they start riding. Skip it and get use to the seat and save the money.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #17

Besides all the other information how would they transport several trikes with them as they go camping? Bicycles are easily managed but one or two trikes could present a problem. I am 62 and ride a hybrid which works great. Take them to a good bike shop and have them fitted for one. If you have a bike club in you area they would know which one to go too.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamuchy Joe View Post
I'd pick up a pair of hybrid bikes. They have fatter wheels, flat bars and a more upright position. Whatever you do, don't cheap out and get a walmart special. Those are junk and are not fun to ride. They also weight a TON! They don't shift right and they are put together by folks who don't care. Like eldermike recommended, used hybrids would be a good option.
As an owner of a Cheap out WW special, I'd have to disagree with your assessment. We [65 & 66] ride sparingly when we take longer RV trips as we are about to take. We are not and do not ever anticipate riding any more than a few miles in and around CG's and mostly paved flat riding paths. Since $$ is a consideration I can not justify writing a big check for a "Nice" bike that would no doubt weigh much less, be much better designed and assembled, and offer many more riding options.

Key point here is the bike we bought last year while in SC on our way to Fla, has maybe 30 miles on it and may get another 30 or 40 over the next 5 weeks. I will have my eyes open for a somewhat crusty nicer bike that someone in the CG has replaced or is retiring. If successful I'm sure it will serve us well at the same few miles per year as the WW special. It really doesn't require a bike that is specially sized and adjusted for a senior who just wants to cruise up and down the beach or CG path.

I was able to retire 10 years early for a number of reasons, but one big factor was not overbuying things just because I could.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #19

The wife and I bought bikes for our anniversary this year. We have only ever owned WW specials. After looking at way too many, we decided on Trek Hybrids. The weight and operation aren't even in the same league as the cheap junk you find at the big box stores. If nothing else, as RVers, the should be able to appreciate the weight difference. My 5'2" 130 lb wife can load our bikes by herself now.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
So my suggestion is: look for used good quailty hybrid bikes and find some flat trails and then see if the bug bites.
Could you give an estimated price range?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote