Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #1

Bittersweet Day!

We got the very first family camper in September of 2011 and used it twice before winterizing it. The summer of 2012 was the first real camping season for us and our 17z got a TON of use between all the members of the family. I want to say it was close to 100 nights of use, not bad for one year.

We soon realized the 17z was a little small for our needs but we didn't have the vehicle to tow anything much larger. This past September my brother bought a Tundra and a 28DSBH so there were two campers in the family. My parents loved the roominess of the 28DSBH so they looked into a larger truck and TT which led them to purchasing a 2013 Ram 1500 and a 26RLS. They loved the huge picture window with chairs.

Anyway, I put the 17z up on Craigs List and it sold in about 2 weeks and today was the day the new owner picked it up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	04083B41-7C76-4198-AFF0-5496F5895C83-4968-0000053C0D388012_zps8935daf1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	6705

It was bittersweet, especially for my parents. Here's a shot of my mom with the new owner and their truck. It's funny because 80% of our camping is done about 15 miles from here at a county beach campground. During the summer my mom was approached by someone asking about our 17Z and how we liked it. The person said they were interested in a 17z and said it was going to be their next purchase.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I put the camper up on Craigs List. We emailed back and forth a few times and then finally set a date up so they could see the camper in person. Lo and behold, when the buyer pulled up it was the very same person who asked my mom about the 17z a few months prior, before we were even thinking of selling it. lol When she said, "that's the next camper I'm buying," back in the summer, little did she know it would BE the same exact camper. lol I'm sure we'll run into each other from time to time at the campground as we already have a slew of weeks already booked for 2013.

We are picking up the 26RLS next Saturday. Like I said, it was bittersweet. My mom had a tear in her eye but she is also looking forward to the new camper. Here are some pics from a site that we have at least 4 weeks so far this year. The following pics are all of the same site.

These are full hook up sites. This campground is on a barrier island which is only a few hundred feet wide.

Check out this view from our picnic table of the ocean. How can you go wrong?

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	6706

This will be the view out the rear window of the 26RLS. Sites like this are one of the main reasons my parents wanted the big window in the back, because you have a completely unobstructed view of the Atlantic Ocean!

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	6708

Finally, like I said, this is a barrier island only a few hundred feet wide. This is your view if you look away from the ocean, not bad!

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	6707

Another key aspect is that this is an end site so you have no one to the right of you. This is the view as you walk out of the TT. lol

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	6709

Camping season can't get here soon enough. They turn on the water in the local parks exactly one month from today!

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #2

On a side note, look at the beast of a 5'er next to us. The 17z looks like a toy compared to it!

Old 03-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #3

Well I sure liked reading and looking at you pictures. Where I am at we have more than 2' of snow on the ground and its snowing this morning.

Are trip this last summer took us to Virgina/West Virgina and North Carolina/Alantic Ocean. We were there 10 years or so ago, and it was every bit the good time memories we had from then. EXCEPT~~~~That traffic at Virgina Beach, that place is mading, they took a narrow three lane free way and re devided it into a narrow four lane. WOW, though my mirrors were going to end up inside some ones front seat threw their A post as they skim past me at 70. You could not turn a fork side ways between us.. third down from our white knuckles towing are,, Alanta, Detroit and now,,, Virgina Beach.
neverenoftackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #4

That's where we are fortunate to live on Long Island. You can be at the water in a few minutes from anywhere. This CG is so close that I'll commute to work as it only adds a few minutes on.

The snow you see piled there was from the blizzard we had 3 weeks ago. We had over 30".

Old 03-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverenoftackle View Post
Well I sure liked reading and looking at you pictures. Where I am at we have more than 2' of snow on the ground and its snowing this morning.

Are trip this last summer took us to Virgina/West Virgina and North Carolina/Alantic Ocean. We were there 10 years or so ago, and it was every bit the good time memories we had from then. EXCEPT~~~~That traffic at Virgina Beach, that place is mading, they took a narrow three lane free way and re devided it into a narrow four lane. WOW, though my mirrors were going to end up inside some ones front seat threw their A post as they skim past me at 70. You could not turn a fork side ways between us.. third down from our white knuckles towing are,, Alanta, Detroit and now,,, Virgina Beach.

Should have turned North from Va. Beach across the CBBT to the Eastern shore!. A different world from the Hampton Roads area.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #6

Thats a excellent story with the new buyers and all your right on two things: that is a excellent beach view for sure and the 17 really did look like a toy compared to that 5'er. Kinda how we feel each time we time we go out (unless we're next to a pop-up). You did tell them about JOF right...?
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #7

Bittersweet Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
On a side note, look at the beast of a 5'er next to us. The 17z looks like a toy compared to it!

Lol i thought that was a wall...
Enjoy the new trailer and that is one nice campsite!!!
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Should have turned North from Va. Beach across the CBBT to the Eastern shore!. A different world from the Hampton Roads area.
Hey Crabman, where's best on the eastern shore? I'm not far from you, I'm just north of Richmond.

2010 Jayflight 29RLS
2006 Ford F-250 Superduty 6.0 diesel
Equalizer hitch

Recondite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recondite View Post
Hey Crabman, where's best on the eastern shore? I'm not far from you, I'm just north of Richmond.
We like Kiptopeke SP which is just north of the CBBT, Tall Pines Harbor CG about middle way up the shore, Janes Island SP, Pocomoke River SP, and Assateague SP just across the border in Maryland.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverenoftackle View Post

By the way, where did you camp in WV? State parks or private camp grounds? We camp WV, VA, MD, PA, OH.
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #11

Around here (Hampton Roads) only desperate beach addicts will brave the traffic in VA Beach...the rest of us go anywhere else But that beach campsite does look so nice. And that little 17z does look tiny next to that 5er!!! Imagine our 19h would look just that small, too!
lfcjasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #12

When we park the 26RLS in that spot it probably won't look much bigger. lol

Old 03-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #13

Hello Campdog,
I hope that cm1159ps doesn't mind drifting off his subject on his post,,,,
Well I am kind'a of a history nut, And that part of this country is packed full of it. In typing this, as a matter of fact, that whole Eastern sea board is packed full of our Country's history in one way or the other. I wanted to stop in the the Mountains in Virgina near Richmond to visit some of the sites on our Civil war especially Appomattox Court House where the surrender took place and heard one of the two best orientations I have ever heard, on any of the national history sites, from the park ranger there, stayed at the KOA in ???? can not remember. Then on to the Blue Ridge Parkway & the Shenandoah Valley area. Then a bee line to Virgina Beach where we has a reservation at the HUGH Holiday Trav-L-Park campground there on General Booth Blvd.. Used that as a base for, Yorktown,Williamsburg,Jamestown, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake Bay, Colonial Parkway, Skyline Drive, and a whole lot more ??
Then down to North Carolina the outer banks at the Camp Hatteras Campground with the ocean kick back scene, and the main stop back up to Kill Devil Hill/Wright Brothers N.Memorial. Then turn Back West to home.

We pulled a '05 19rbs Jayco just my better half and I.
neverenoftackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #14

We had the 17Z for exactly 1 year. We loved that camper but found that we got tired very quickly of loading and unloading during a camping trip since the camper maximum load was so small. We like to leave our stuff (clothes, pots, pans, toiletries, linens, etc.) but found that even taking the bare essentials, we quickly approached the maximum weight limit. So, we traded exactly one year after it's purchase for the Jay Flight 26RKS with bunk option and could not be happier!!! We can leave all of our stuff and not spend precious weekend camping hours loading and unloading all of our things. While we all miss that little 17Z, we are definitely more comfortable in our new home. We get your "bittersweet moment". Great story about your buyer and we wish you many happy camping days at the ocean!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote