Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I know there are environmental conscience campers that don't like the idea of sending chemicals to the treatment plant but what other reasons are there not to use them?
And of course there is NO environmental impact from the manufacturing of the trailer/motor home, nor the tow vehicle, nor towing, etc.

In all seriousness we just use whatever is cheap from Walmart.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #22

FYI Just ordered Rid-X the 48 oz bottle which had a 20% off on it, on Amazon. Cost about $9 including delivery...half of what Wally world typically sells it for.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #23

I have always used something in my old trailer...I tried multiple items. Just got our new trailer and decided not to use anything. Will see how it goes with plenty of water. I am not apposed to using something and can afford to, but based on many full timer comments on another forum, I will just use water for now.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #24
Site Team

This question is right up there with which truck you prefer. Try them all and do what you want. I have tried various products and procedures and find that nothing works as well as most of them.
Occasionally a Oder control product may help temporarily until dad goes in there and stinks it up again! LOL
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #25

We have used a chemical ever since 1993 when we bought our first FW. Tried the non-formaldihide stuff once, but the smell was still there. We use one little eight ounce bottle in our toilet after emptying the toilet. Have never seen any signs saying we can't use any chemical but I guess they are around. If you wish to use water, go ahead, but I will continue to use my chemicals.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:06 AM   #26

We've been on the road this trip for 2 1/2 months. Have not used any chem in the tanks. Have not had any odour problem. We use lots of water except when dry camping which has only been up to a week at a time. Then the water use is low since we're on the tank water. When next at a full hookup I fill both waste tanks and flush them out really well.

It works for us. and yes - I can afford cehms if I wanted to - but there is no reason to.
2011 Jayco JayFeather Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
Rotochocks
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #27

edatlanta explains my outlook perfectly. Additionally, after we dump our tanks we put a gallon or two of water in each tank (unless we are about to boondock) and let the water slosh around as we drive and break up stuff in the tank; I think this makes for a more complete emptying of the tanks the next time we dump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I have been full time for just shy of 5 years and played around with several chemical types early on. I didn't find any that did anything but remove money from my pocket and I'm not worried about the cost. I only use water and a lot of it. I make sure the bowl seal is good in my toilet since that is the vapor/odor barrier. If your bowl doesn't hold water between flushes, you will have odor from your black tank. Also when you flush don't have your exhaust fan running. It will pull a little odor in during the flush. I never have tank odor and I spend my summers on the Florida gulf coast where it gets hot. I just dump when full or almost full which for me alone is about every 2 weeks or when the SO is with me every week, flush with my built in flush system and move on. Simple and works.

Are you sure your odor is from your black tank? Your kitchen sink gray tank can get real nasty smelling also from food particles that build up. Example: You are on a full hook up site and you leave your gray tank(s) open and black tank closed. Over time the small food particles build up in your gray tank just like the poop pyramid in a black tank that is left open. Granted it takes longer because the food particles are much smaller, but they do build up. Then you end up on a site with no sewer hook up and have to close the gray tank. The water hydrates the partially or completely dry food particles and the odor starts. Believe me it can be bad (ask me how I know). The solution for me was to clean/sanitize the gray tank. I drained it and poured one full gallon of bleach in it. Drove from my bookdocking site to my home base and hooked up. A few days later the gray tank was almost full so I drained it. You wouldn't believe the stuff that came out (I have a clear 45 degree hose connection). No more odor and it even cleaned the sensor(s) which had been stuck on 2/3 full for a year. Now I leave my kitchen gray tank closed all the time except when it is full and I always put a pint or so of bleach in it. Works great and zero odor. If the gray tank had a flush system I doubt I would need the bleach.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I stopped using anything in my tank years ago.. use lots of water and don't dump the tanks till they are full... what ever you do DO NOT use products that contain formaidyde it is harmful to septic systems
I wonder if bleach would have a negative impact on a septic system. Breaking down the "stuff" is a biological process and the bleach might kill off the little "stuff eaters".

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I wonder if bleach would have a negative impact on a septic system. Breaking down the "stuff" is a biological process and the bleach might kill off the little "stuff eaters".
I think this is a good point. We don't use bleach at home for this very reason, it would kill all the good bacteria in our septic system.

So I don't tend to use bleach in my black tank either, just in case the park I'm at uses a septic type system as opposed to municipal waste management. Most of the parks I stay in probably DO use a septic system because they are a bit off the beaten path.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #30

Those using lots of water can also come under criticism from folks living on the Western Slopes where water is scarce. What to do...what to do

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #31
Site Team

Remember, It is a HOLDING tank not a Septic tank. If it has plenty of water it will break down on its own with no additives.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 02-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Bleach is about the worst thing you can put in your tank... it kills everything..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Bleach is about the worst thing you can put in your tank... it kills everything..
Agree, it also damages the rubber seals.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 02-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Remember, It is a HOLDING tank not a Septic tank. If it has plenty of water it will break down on its own with no additives.

Working in campgrounds, I have seen more than one tank completely clogged, where we had to use a rod to unclog it. I see no downside, other than a few cents a tank, to use chemicals to assist in breaking down paper and waste. But, I also have fire insurance and I've never had a problem with fire.

Disposable wipes are the worse, do nothing but cause issues.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote