Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by paggy00271 View Post
Ours has the side window in the kitchen and none across the back. Have had a few quality issues- bad furnace, LEDs under awning didn't work at all, and leaky bathroom. All the woodworking is staying up ok (for the moment).

2017 Hummingbird 17RK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What leaked in the bathroom? We are experiencing a leak from the shower around the toilet flange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paulandkaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:12 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandkaci View Post
What leaked in the bathroom? We are experiencing a leak from the shower around the toilet flange

Ours may have been leaking the same place- made a warranty claim for it and let CW fix it. Our first trip it leaked out from under cabinets into the main living space. Probably from around the toilet as yours does... but I didn't get a chance to look for it- we had that and the furnace issue on a weekend where it suddenly dropped into the upper 30's (in south GA that's COLD) on our shakedown trip so it went straight back to CW for the claims. That was the 1st week of Dec- LEDs are fixed and leak is fixed but still no furnace- waiting on parts. Now the propane alarm won't shut up- so they can fix that when it goes back for the furnace. Still love my 17RK though- we've taken it out five time since we got it.

2017 Hummingbird 17RK

paggy00271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #23

On a separate note, what's the longest hose length you've needed to reach from the water spigot to the black water tank at a dump station?

Trying to minimize the length of hose we have to carry but don't want to come up short on the tank flush hose.

I was thinking about picking up a 25' hose for dedicated black water rinse.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #24
BCK

Every dump station I have used in the past 12 years has had the water spigot right there. From my experience 25ft is plenty for the black flush.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
On a separate note, what's the longest hose length you've needed to reach from the water spigot to the black water tank at a dump station?

Trying to minimize the length of hose we have to carry but don't want to come up short on the tank flush hose.

I carry a 50' garden hose for black tank rinse and "other" chores around the camp. I've only ever had the hose fully extended once and that was to rinse thousands of butterflies out of the grill of my truck so it could breathe again. That being said, I've always been a "better to have it and not need it..." kind of guy, and the extra hose length (while unused thus far) has never bothered me. But then, I also don't have any shortage of storage space either, so the extra length also doesn't add any "inconvenience".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #26

I keep a 25 foot hose (the expandable kind) on the camper and it more than suffices at those campgrounds that don't have hoses at the dump station already.

2017 Hummingbird 17RK

paggy00271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by paggy00271 View Post
I keep a 25 foot hose (the expandable kind) on the camper and it more than suffices at those campgrounds that don't have hoses at the dump station already.

2017 Hummingbird 17RK

I have the same, but mine's 50 ft. That is if it the one that they advertise "as seen on TV". Works great for the black flush line! I'll even use it at the SP's at the dump station.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #28

Quote:
So is it normal to have some clean water loss when breaking down the drain hose, is this just part of it and no big deal, or did I miss a step somewhere.

Again, this might have been a cup of water, but probably less.....just seemed like a lot when I felt like the entire campground was looking out the windows shaking their heads at me .
Thanks.
I would say it is fairly common at the dump stations; have seen it a few times. Polite procedure is to use the hose to flush the paving toward the septic pipe so the next guy doesn't have to stand in it.

Once last summer I watched the guy in front of me have a good sized spill, and then hop in his truck and drive away. I was a less than happy camper pulling in after him; actually rinsed his waste off the pad before I pulled forward.

Be nice to your fellow campers and they will be nice to you. But I was wishing all kinds of karma on that guy...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:16 AM   #29

Think I just solved the mystery.

I just finished draining the black tank and this time used a clear 45 degree elbow at the tank connection so I could see what was going on.

After the initial drain was complete I dumped 5-gallons of clean water down the toilet for final flush (TT is winterized so I didn't want to use the tank flush, although now that I think about it I probably can use it).

Anyways, all the clear water finished draining so I twisted the hose off and held it under the tank connection and more water started coming out. I pushed down on the tank drain line and even more would come out every time I pushed. Jayco strapped the drain pipe tight to the frame and it's not pitched downward, so a little water is being trapped in the pipe.

When I get home I'm going to drop the strap about a 1/4" and use a shim between the bottom of the frame and top of the pipe to establish fall......it's the first fundamental in plumbing.....it all runs down hill

Old 01-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #30

Quote:

I cut up an old section of my household hose to use specifically for the BW tank flush. It is only about 12 feet long, and there has only been one time that I've had to re-position the trailer closer than normal to hook up the hose - but I made it work. The rinse water spigot is almost always within a foot or two of the BW dump, so it is right there. I think a 15-20 foot hose would be plenty for almost any situation.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:21 AM   #31

Quote:

I'm not a minimalist regarding hose lengths, but my old, re-purposed, 25', light duty, green, garden hose has been fine for black tank flush use. It has also been used for (stealth) washing mud off the rear of the trailer and at-the-ready for campfires.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #32

I also read where someone hooked up to their outside shower and used their water pump to feed the black water rinse.

My DW was not receptive to that idea. Truth be told it seemed a little gross to me but I can't explain why. They are both clean connectors, it's where the water is going that is dirty.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I also read where someone hooked up to their outside shower and used their water pump to feed the black water rinse.

My DW was not receptive to that idea. Truth be told it seemed a little gross to me but I can't explain why. They are both clean connectors, it's where the water is going that is dirty. ...snip
IIRC, I saw that somewhere, too. My thought was the shower volume and pressure would only clean the blank tank flush plumbing, but do little to clean the inside of the black tank. I use a non-white, garden hose with full CG pressure & flow for the flush input.

There is a backflow preventer (yes, the one that leaks for some folks) so water does not get siphoned out of the black tank and into the incoming water supply. But like you, truth be told, I get a queasy feeling at the thought of hooking my white water hose to the black flush connection. It's not logical, but there it is.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #34

I got to see a new 17RK at the Ft. Wayne RV show. I see the remote valves...nice. I'm adding one this spring. But I have a concern as well, in looking under the unit, the black tank valve is now located at the tank so the pipe is very long, also the valve point forward and downward to clear the bottom of the tank I would be concerned about ground clearance. Our valve is tucked up next to the frame rail, a lot less pipe to the outlet.

Other change I saw was the kitchen rear window and the new opening side window, and the convection / microwave is not stainless steel. An a better bathroom light, ours is so bright you can get a sun tan in there.
Knottybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:24 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post

My DW was not receptive to that idea. Truth be told it seemed a little gross to me but I can't explain why. They are both clean connectors, it's where the water is going that is dirty.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.

That may have been me. Although I got the idea from someone else.
I have used this method a lot and never a problem. I do have a manual cutoff valve to back up the famous check valve.

Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:58 AM   #36

We have a factory black water flush system.

I figured out what was going on and fixed the issue. Jayco had the drain pipe pitched the wrong direction so it was holding water downstream of the gate valve, hence the continuing drainage of water.......

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...-41831-10.html