Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #1

Black Water Tank Etiquette

So after the first camping trip with our new TT I have a procedure question concerning the black water tank connection.

Prior to departing from the campground I drained the black tank. After rinsing the tank and letting it drain fully, I closed the gate valve and disconnected the Camco drain hose. Upon disconnecting the hose there was still some additional water that drained, I'm assuming it was what was between the valve and the twist fitting. The TT was perfectly level.

The water was clear and there wasn't much I could do about it, this wasn't a large amount of water, but it made me feel like I was doing something wrong.

So is it normal to have some clean water loss when breaking down the drain hose, is this just part of it and no big deal, or did I miss a step somewhere.

Again, this might have been a cup of water, but probably less.....just seemed like a lot when I felt like the entire campground was looking out the windows shaking their heads at me .

Thanks.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #2

Usually the procedure is to drain and rinse the black tank. With that done, then drain the gray tank. Draining the gray last rinses out the stuff left in the sewer hose and the end of the trailer dump valve. There should be very little left to drip out and what does drip should be virtually all gray water.

When I disconnect my hose after the above, there may be a couple of drips but far less than a cup.

You could disconnect the sewer hose and hold it under the trailer fitting briefly to catch that cup. Then imagine the entire campground smiling and nodding their heads in approval.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
You could disconnect the sewer hose and hold it under the trailer fitting briefly to catch that cup. Then imagine the entire campground smiling and nodding their heads in approval.
We didn't use our grey water due to freezing temps and the only thing in the black was liquids.

It was likely a lot less than a cup, I was just expecting not even a single drip so I kind of panicked.

Good call - thanks.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
M&A

Was thinking about one of these. You may have sold me - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS...=IA7QDCI41KC1I

Perception is everything.
Attached Thumbnails
61aSUhzEdrL._SL1500_.jpg  
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #5

Egh, it is what it is. Was this at the dump site, or did you have sewer hookups?

If at the dump site, a little splashing isn't out of the ordinary, keep that in mind when you are standing there next time.

If you have a sewer site, just let it sit after you shut the valves a little longer, let any residual liquids drain.

Whenever I drain my tanks, when I disconnect the hose, I just hold the hose opening under the valve opening. In that case, anything that drips out after I disconnect the hose just drips into the hose.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #6

I would recommend a clear fitting so you can see what is coming out and when it's done draining completely.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccso2213 View Post
I would recommend a clear fitting so you can see what is coming out and when it's done draining completely.
X2

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #8

I'm curious why you are worried about the gray freezing but not the black?
Old 01-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #9

I'm betting that human waste has a lot lower freezing temperature than water which is mostly what gray water is.

I guess it's time for an experiment--leave a pan of each sitting out on a cold day. I'll leave this to someone else!
Old 01-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #10

A quick Google search (because I got curious) shows that normal, undiluted human urine freezes at about -1.35° C with the freezing point varying between -0.5° C to -2.24° C. In other words just below freezing. Add a little water to the mix and it trends even closer to 0° C so not much difference from water in this case.

Source
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlin4you View Post
A quick Google search (because I got curious) shows that normal, undiluted human urine freezes at about -1.35° C with the freezing point varying between -0.5° C to -2.24° C. In other words just below freezing. Add a little water to the mix and it trends even closer to 0° C so not much difference from water in this case.

It is 95 percent water to start with.
When you flush, you are probably adding as much water to the BW tank as the liquid you expelled, so the percentage goes up. Yes, there is some sodium, potassium and chlorine in there, but likely not enough to do much.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #12

Because the grey water tank was dry and I poured a half gallon of anitfreeze in the black tank prior to using it .

Old 01-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&A View Post
Was thinking about one of these. You may have sold me - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS...=IA7QDCI41KC1I

Perception is everything.
I have been using one of these for years. They help eliminate the OPs problem. It also has the added benefit of combining the two gray tanks when you shut this valve and open the two gray valves (of course, leaving the black tank valve closed).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #14

. . . and now we know . . .
Old 01-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
So after the first camping trip with our new TT I have a procedure question concerning the black water tank connection.

Prior to departing from the campground I drained the black tank. After rinsing the tank and letting it drain fully, I closed the gate valve and disconnected the Camco drain hose. Upon disconnecting the hose there was still some additional water that drained, I'm assuming it was what was between the valve and the twist fitting. The TT was perfectly level.

The water was clear and there wasn't much I could do about it, this wasn't a large amount of water, but it made me feel like I was doing something wrong.

So is it normal to have some clean water loss when breaking down the drain hose, is this just part of it and no big deal, or did I miss a step somewhere.

Again, this might have been a cup of water, but probably less.....just seemed like a lot when I felt like the entire campground was looking out the windows shaking their heads at me .

Thanks.
We too have the 179RK, with its (2) tank drains. As for the BLACK water tank, let it drain and then use the rinse flush, what should be left is rinse water. Since Jayco mounted the black tank dump valve is inside the trailer's frame (hard to reach) there is more pipe, let it drain a little longer. We bought a clear fitting end to put on the port, one can see when the rinse water turns clear. Close the valve, let it drain some more, then disconnect it. I then drain the grey water to rinse the hose, then manually rinse the hose before storage in the rear bumper.
I don't like getting on my hands and knees to reach under the unit to open and close the black water valve, this year an remote valve is going to installed so I don't have to crawl under the unit. I think the President of Jayco should really come do this for me a couple of times and we'd see a design change pretty quick, possible a retro-fit of the ones in the field.
Knottybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottybird View Post
We too have the 179RK, with its (2) tank drains. As for the BLACK water tank, let it drain and then use the rinse flush, what should be left is rinse water. Since Jayco mounted the black tank dump valve is inside the trailer's frame (hard to reach) there is more pipe, let it drain a little longer. We bought a clear fitting end to put on the port, one can see when the rinse water turns clear. Close the valve, let it drain some more, then disconnect it. I then drain the grey water to rinse the hose, then manually rinse the hose before storage in the rear bumper.
I don't like getting on my hands and knees to reach under the unit to open and close the black water valve, this year an remote valve is going to installed so I don't have to crawl under the unit. I think the President of Jayco should really come do this for me a couple of times and we'd see a design change pretty quick, possible a retro-fit of the ones in the field.

My 17RK has a remote valve for both the black and grey tanks, I can open either without crawling or even kneeling. They may have made the change already. I do the same process you do though- drain black tank, then use black tank flush, wait till clear water stops flowing (I have a clear coupler on my hose), shut the valve and wait a moment to see that it has stopped, hold hose under pipe while capping, then move to grey tank.

2017 Hummingbird 17RK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
paggy00271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccso2213 View Post
I agree with ccso2213, if you're getting one, get one with a clear part. I use one, I hook it up on the trailer when I hook up my lines, I'm able not only to see the color coming out, but also if any fluid (or chunks) are still coming out of the tanks.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:37 PM   #18

I carry a small bucket just in case something like that does happen. I keep it under the hose connection.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by paggy00271 View Post
My 17RK has a remote valve for both the black and grey tanks, I can open either without crawling or even kneeling. They may have made the change already. I do the same process you do though- drain black tank, then use black tank flush, wait till clear water stops flowing (I have a clear coupler on my hose), shut the valve and wait a moment to see that it has stopped, hold hose under pipe while capping, then move to grey tank.

2017 Hummingbird 17RK

We have the 12th unit made. I've already had two recalls, so maybe a third is in the works, and a heap of quality problems, and I looked the other day and the cover strips in the ceiling are coming down. I have the unit winterized right now, so this is a warranty trip to the dealer in March.
The new ones;179RK - Looks like they took out the rear kitchen window and put a side window in, which I like it opens, but I like the rear window. Too bad the rear window can't open.
Knottybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottybird View Post
We have the 12th unit made. I've already had two recalls, so maybe a third is in the works, and a heap of quality problems, and I looked the other day and the cover strips in the ceiling are coming down. I have the unit winterized right now, so this is a warranty trip to the dealer in March.
The new ones;179RK - Looks like they took out the rear kitchen window and put a side window in, which I like it opens, but I like the rear window. Too bad the rear window can't open.

Ours has the side window in the kitchen and none across the back. Have had a few quality issues- bad furnace, LEDs under awning didn't work at all, and leaky bathroom. All the woodworking is staying up ok (for the moment).

2017 Hummingbird 17RK

paggy00271 is offline   Reply With Quote