Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #1

Bought too small

We got our 2016 26bhs in August of last year and love it. Now we will be going seasonal and not boarding our 100 pound lab every time we use it, however she is to big for the trailer. We want to upgrade to another model that has a slide out so she has room to at least turn around. With still making payments how stuck are we when looking at a 2016 model for 1000 more than what we have?
chuckerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckerg View Post
We got our 2016 26bhs in August of last year and love it. Now we will be going seasonal and not boarding our 100 pound lab every time we use it, however she is to big for the trailer. We want to upgrade to another model that has a slide out so she has room to at least turn around. With still making payments how stuck are we when looking at a 2016 model for 1000 more than what we have?
That really depends on what you have paid on it so far. Depending on your length of time for financing, number of payments made, amount of principle reduced by any "extra" payments or over payments you have made, you may be upside down (owe more than it's worth) or you may have equity. Only you know how much you have paid thus far. I would call and get a pay off and look online and see what your model and year are selling for and go from there.

You are never "stuck" though, just depends if you want to roll over negative equity (if you have any) into your new trailer payment. You may be able to sell it out right and get more money for it.

If you had a good experience with the dealer that you bought it from, you could contact the salesman that helped you and explain the situation and see what they would offer you for trade in value towards that if you were to buy a bigger trailer. Hope this helps.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
That really depends on what you have paid on it so far. Depending on your length of time for financing, number of payments made, amount of principle reduced by any "extra" payments or over payments you have made, you may be upside down (owe more than it's worth) or you may have equity. Only you know how much you have paid thus far. I would call and get a pay off and look online and see what your model and year are selling for and go from there.

You are never "stuck" though, just depends if you want to roll over negative equity (if you have any) into your new trailer payment. You may be able to sell it out right and get more money for it.

If you had a good experience with the dealer that you bought it from, you could contact the salesman that helped you and explain the situation and see what they would offer you for trade in value towards that if you were to buy a bigger trailer. Hope this helps.
This would be the first thing I would try.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #4

When we traded our last one in it was only 2yrs old. We had a small negative balance and would have been upside down by about a grand. Luckily our dealer hooked us up with a few extras to help ease the thought of losing $. We also got lucky in finding a lower finance rate so that the difference was almost erased. Either way we still had made peace with being a bit negative because we knew we would enjoy our new unit much more. It is a ibetter match to what we were looking for. Best of luck to you!
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #5

Great point. And am waiting for the salesman to call back. Downside is the particular dealer has kind of a bad reputation (did not know until after purchase)
Have another that am talking to but looking at 8k of a a loss so waiting to see the offer
Old 04-20-2016, 04:31 AM   #6

The old saying "always buy your second trailer first" applies here, lol.
I know - I did the same thing.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:39 AM   #7

This is getting encouraging second call from them asked if I might be interested in a fifth wheel if they deliver it
Old 04-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #8

We were in the same boat last year. In April 2015, we bought a new Jayco 23MB. The trailer was very nice, but we started to think about times during poor weather or space for a friend. Three weeks later, we traded it in for a 2016 28BHBE elite. Our dealer understood our situation, and made us a great deal on trade and a huge discount off the larger trailer. In the end, we have no regrets. We did lose some money, but our happiness was worth it. We camped every weekend from June till October and don't miss the small trailer one bit!
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #9

We did the same thing with the same trailer. After doing a walkthrough on the new trailer, I realized the loss of the cash was worth the gain of the enjoyment of camping. We've got 2 60lb dogs and a 11 month old, there was no floor space for anything and last year when the kiddo was 3 months old we were constantly tripping over each other and the dogs.
kiknads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:32 PM   #10

Same thing happened here. Same trailer and similar reason. We had 2 kids and 2 dogs a 60lb and 80lb. Lost the smaller dog to cancer added another baby in that first year and we needed bigger.

It's been a couple years but I'll share the numbers as best as I can remember...

- Oct 2011 purchased new 2012 26BH elite for $16,500
- Nov 2012 wanted to upgrade for slide and actual bunk room. Dealer offered $10k in trade purchasing the new unit at 30% off MSRP -- passed.
- Sept 2013 tried again, dealer offered $9500 in trade with same 30% off MSRP for new TT -- passed.
- Nov 2013, Sunday after Thanksgiving, listed on CL for $14,500 and sold it locally in ~30 days for $12,750. Actually transfered title on 12/30
- Attempted to buy new 29QBH but dealers were no longer interested in 30% off MSRP, best I could negotiate was 25% -- passed and a little annoyed at this point.
- Feb 2014 found used 2012 on CL locally, family selling due to divorce, purchased for $15k.

It took two years, but got exactly what we wanted and lost $500 on the deal.

By the way we didn't have negative equity because we put 50% down on first then saved enough in the 2 years to not finance the second.

Having a loan ties your hands. I would suggest slowing down, take your time even a year, if it prevents you from losing thousands or worse rolling negative equity into a rapidly depreciating item.

Look used too, like you trying to get out of newer trailer in good shape, there are others doing the same. It can be a win win.

IMO the warranty isn't worth buying new especially if it's being parked seasonally. Most dealers aren't coming to you to fix things so you will have to tow it in. That costs money and time. Buying used, no warranty, then paying a mobile tech to come to you for the rare chance you need service to me is the best option.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:03 PM   #11

We bought all three of our trailers used - a couple of years old. 2 from CL and the latest from a dealer. Was a great experience, no regrets.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #12

wish I had the options since if I sell it I will lose $2600 for the seasonal spot unless I find a trailer before end of next month and sell the old in the same time frame or just suck it up and be miserable